Shooting in Florida

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
PresMuffley

Re: Shooting in Florida

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Feb 2018, 20:15

http://wfla.com/2018/02/25/house-speaker-corcoran-calls-for-sheriffs-suspension-following-parkland-shooting/

So many Republicans criticizing cops! They are in full panic mode. Gotta keep that NRA money flowing in.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 26 Feb 2018, 03:58

Gadfly

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Feb 2018, 10:16

The students should set up camp on NRA lobbyist Marion Hammer's lawn since she is so keen to protect them. A lovely lady, Ms. Hammer:

A year after Audubon of Florida’s president backed gun-show regulations that Hammer opposed, she lobbied against one of the environmental group’s priorities: naming the scrub jay the state’s official bird. During a legislative hearing, she denounced the endangered pale blue-and-gray bird’s propensity to beg for food as epitomizing a “welfare mentality.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-05-11/pistol-packing-grandma-helps-nra-push-state-pro-gun-laws

More on Hammer:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/the-nra-lobbyist-behind-floridas-pro-gun-policies

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/04/how-legendary-nra-lobbyist-marion-hammer-killed-toxic-lead-lawsuit-florida/

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Feb 2018, 16:32

This is an extremely helpful site if you're interested in deepening your disgust with our current state of affairs:

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

According to their statistics, at least 69 people under the age of 18 have been shot in the U.S. since the Parkland massacre, 26 have died.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Feb 2018, 16:36

US Lifeguards To Carry Sharks, To Protect Beachgoers From Future Shark Attacks

http://www.theshovel.com.au/2018/02/25/us-lifeguards-to-carry-sharks/
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 26 Feb 2018, 17:12

Sad to say, but the skills used to photoshop that far surpass mine.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Feb 2018, 17:33

PresMuffley wrote:Sad to say, but the skills used to photoshop that far surpass mine.

You mean it's not authentic??? :shock: ;)

More Fake News then.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Feb 2018, 05:13

Why is it the mainstream media in their follow up reports leave out explaining details conspiracy theorists latch onto like that according to this teacher in an AP video he assumed it was a drill because according to him there was supposed to be a "code red" drill that day at the school? A coincidence, sure, but in one bloody event after another conspiracy theorists find that drills come awfully close to the real events. Why does the MSM feed the conspiracy trolls and not mention what a coincidence it was (Man Bites Dog) that a drill was planned? The silence only encourages conspiracy theories.

From a conspiracy site.

Gadfly

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Feb 2018, 06:08

Jimbo wrote:Why is it the mainstream media in their follow up reports leave out explaining details conspiracy theorists latch onto like that according to this teacher in an AP video he assumed it was a drill because according to him there was supposed to be a "code red" drill that day at the school? A coincidence, sure, but in one bloody event after another conspiracy theorists find that drills come awfully close to the real events. Why does the MSM feed the conspiracy trolls and not mention what a coincidence it was (Man Bites Dog) that a drill was planned? The silence only encourages conspiracy theories.

From a conspiracy site.

If you were going to be rational about this and have a think, which I know is not your scene so I won't push, you'd probably conclude that people whose job is dealing major incidents spend a lot of time on drills preparing them for major incidents seeing as major incidents are not exactly daily occurrences thankfully.

You can illustrate this with the case of airport fire trucks. They do almost nothing for years on end, but do you think the drill on a weekly basis or drill once and hope the training comes flooding back when they have a crash landing 5 years down the road?

This being the case, and if you add in the number of a major incidents there are I think the really spooky thing would be if there were no drills being carried out when some major incidents occur.

Wouldn't you?

Basically your premise is a shonky correlation with no statistical analysis to back it up, in layman's terms what you have are understandable coincidences which are bound to happen.

Hope this helps.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Feb 2018, 07:04

Copehead wrote: Hope this helps.

Not much and I could argue that you are missing my point. If we're all so het up about fake news it would behoove the real news to dig deeper, to actually address what is on the web - basically scoops for the taking - and then debunk or find they have a point. Meanwhile, no matter what you think about the statistical chances and coincidences, on the web the conspiracy theory lingers that while the shooting and deaths had occurred the gun nuts think the media's half-baked stories are aiding and abetting the government's "secret drive" to take away their guns.

Meanwhile, digging deeply into the big conspiracy which is America itself, here is Chris Hedges' critical take on what guns mean to Americans.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/guns-and-liberty/
Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Feb 2018, 08:54

Here's me backing down a bit re drills. Here's Rachael showing the efficacy of how drills worked - to an sad extent - at the school. Good for Rachael. She has, in this case at least, debunked the "conspiracy drill myth."

Gadfly

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Feb 2018, 09:15

Jimbo wrote:She has, in this case at least, debunked the "conspiracy drill myth."

And thank God for that.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 27 Feb 2018, 17:21

:lol:
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 28 Feb 2018, 00:13

Nice to see some leadership on the issue by people who actually give a fuck.
The Democrats were doing a piss poor job of it.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dc ... ab0142c108
Look what the D triple C was telling candidates after the Vegas shooting. Try not to puke.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Feb 2018, 04:47

Geezee wrote:
Jimbo wrote:She has, in this case at least, debunked the "conspiracy drill myth."

And thank God for that.

That didn't take long. ;)

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 01 Mar 2018, 23:57

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/376327-georgia-senate-passes-bill-that-effectively-punishes-delta-air-lines-for

I'd call this a win-win if I had any faith Georgia would use the tax money for something worthwhile. Still, an interesting development.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Mar 2018, 00:09

PresMuffley wrote:http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/376327-georgia-senate-passes-bill-that-effectively-punishes-delta-air-lines-for

I'd call this a win-win if I had any faith Georgia would use the tax money for something worthwhile. Still, an interesting development.

They definitely won't.
:x

This is the dumbest thing. Republicans are supposed to be the "small government" types, letting businesses regulate themselves. Now they want to punish the state's largest employer for taking a stance on something. PLUS the other airlines are going to be hurt by this.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Mar 2018, 00:50

Yup, a completely illogical move further exposing them as the hypocrites they are. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of Republican Delta employees.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 03 Mar 2018, 04:48

Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 03 Mar 2018, 11:04