Shooting in Florida

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Re: Shooting in Florida

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 19 Feb 2018, 16:44

The Great Defector wrote:I'm sure there's a few that do.

Statistically, there must be. But they must be in a tiny minority.
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Feb 2018, 16:57

German Dave wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:I'm sure there's a few that do.

Statistically, there must be. But they must be in a tiny minority.

Depend on the state I reckon.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Feb 2018, 16:58

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:One or two, for sure.

I don't see why, getting to know you on here. ;)
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 19 Feb 2018, 17:04

My personality wasn’t always this pleasing.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 19 Feb 2018, 18:14

I have high hopes for the way this is panning out. FOX is already starting to give the kids “the Cindy Sheehan treatment” and the NRA has Dana Loesch reacting in FULL snarl. I’m hoping these responses backfire on them big time.

The kids have the moral high ground and they know it. I’m sincerely hoping all the arguments we are used to hearing will sound like stunning tone-deafness in a week or so.

This appears to be changing the way we are “allowed” to discuss these matters. It’s high time.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 19 Feb 2018, 22:20

A lady suggested to me today that perhaps we should employ paraplegic veterans to protect schools.

So much for small talk...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2018, 22:26

Well you know, you go to war, you serve your country, you lose the use of both your legs, you come home, probably lose your wife and job and you're thinking to yourself, "what else can I do to help my country?".

It would be selfish not to!
Diamond Dog wrote:Everyone else hates us.

Fuck you all.

We won.

The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Feb 2018, 22:27

Trump says he's open to tighten up current gun control. Too little way too late.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Feb 2018, 22:31

PresMuffley wrote:A lady suggested to me today that perhaps we should employ paraplegic veterans to protect schools.

So much for small talk...

I don't know if putting a gun in to soldier hands, who possibly has PTSD, is such a good idea.

Vic Snazell-Sprey
Utter Cad

Postby Vic Snazell-Sprey » 19 Feb 2018, 23:43

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:My personality wasn’t always this pleasing.

Wow. :?
Little Jim was no-one's fool - he owned the town's only jam butty mine.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Feb 2018, 00:54

Goat Boy wrote:Well you know, you go to war, you serve your country, you lose the use of both your legs, you come home, probably lose your wife and job and you're thinking to yourself, "what else can I do to help my country?".

Her line of thinking was that it would give them a purpose in life. Instead of just sitting around on their nubs or w/e, they'd have something to feel proud about.

If it wasn't clear to you yet, this woman was OLD.

I got a mental image of an elite task force of paraplegics protecting the nation and wished I could draw comics.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Feb 2018, 08:11

The Great Defector wrote:Trump says he's open to tighten up current gun control. Too little way too late.

Given the right circumstances, that guy will say *anything*.

He pretty much always seems to echo the sentiments of the person he last spoke to.

Kind of the opposite of an ideologue, I don't think he really believes in anything except his own bullshit.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

caramba

Postby caramba » 20 Feb 2018, 09:24

PresMuffley wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Well you know, you go to war, you serve your country, you lose the use of both your legs, you come home, probably lose your wife and job and you're thinking to yourself, "what else can I do to help my country?".

Her line of thinking was that it would give them a purpose in life. Instead of just sitting around on their nubs or w/e, they'd have something to feel proud about.

Give them a leg up and get them back on their feet so to speak.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Feb 2018, 11:14

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I think this IS a beginning.

“Sandy Hook” is precisely what is powering this. Everyone now realizes that nothing will happen without a mass mobilization.

Get ready for the wave.

"Everyone" now realises this? Sandy Hook is over 5 years ago. Why didn't they realise this 5 years ago, when it actually happened, and after countless previous massacres? What's so different now? I'd love to share this optimism, but I have none of it and nor do I see evidence of anything happening. I see a much stronger likelihood that Trump himself might pull a rabbit out of the bag and strengthen gun control irrespective of any wave - it falls into his general narrative of being unpredictable, independent-minded etc. In fact, if a wave did happen it probably would just make him not do anything. Which is of course not to say that it shouldn't happen.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Feb 2018, 12:23

Has any of the US posters seen any pro gun friends or family change their stance AT ALL, and say there should be no guns or tighter control?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Feb 2018, 16:39

Geezee wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I think this IS a beginning.

“Sandy Hook” is precisely what is powering this. Everyone now realizes that nothing will happen without a mass mobilization.

Get ready for the wave.

"Everyone" now realises this? Sandy Hook is over 5 years ago. Why didn't they realise this 5 years ago, when it actually happened, and after countless previous massacres? What's so different now? I'd love to share this optimism, but I have none of it and nor do I see evidence of anything happening. I see a much stronger likelihood that Trump himself might pull a rabbit out of the bag and strengthen gun control irrespective of any wave - it falls into his general narrative of being unpredictable, independent-minded etc. In fact, if a wave did happen it probably would just make him not do anything. Which is of course not to say that it shouldn't happen.

I think the biggest thing that separates this one from previous ones is the reactions from the kids who survived it.

They are going to carry a lot of weight with their peers - and their peers will constitute the next political center of gravity as the boomers fade.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Feb 2018, 16:42

Meanwhile, the 'May I Play Thru? '- headline just emphasises what Trump is more concerned about : his golf handicap.
He is not even trying to come over sympathetic, is he?
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 20 Feb 2018, 18:44

The Great Defector wrote:Has any of the US posters seen any pro gun friends or family change their stance AT ALL, and say there should be no guns or tighter control?

Actually, yes. I know and love people who DREAMED of the Supreme Court making a decision like it did in 2008. They believe the founding fathers intended for them to own guns. I think the AR-15 has turned a corner. I have some “open carry” cases but mostly, I think, they are willing to concede that we need to do something about the damned things.
gash on ignore wrote:At 50, everyone has the face he deserves.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Feb 2018, 18:58

Good to hear, i'm sure (hopeful) more will do the same. If they really want gun as part of their rights, if that's the true basis for them owning a gun, then a handgun should be all they need. Not gonna fix the problem obviously but maybe lessen the impact. If however the founding father wanted them to own sub machine guns or whatever, i'd like to see how they predicted that they would be invented first and that every American as the right to one.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Feb 2018, 19:00

I thought that "NRA is a Terrorist Organization" sign was quite effective.

The ACLU characterizes the relevant statute thus:

A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act "dangerous to human life" that is a violation of the criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping.

I think a compelling case could be made that the NRA's conduct arguably falls under (iii) above.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.