UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

Glasgow
47%
Edinburgh
53%

Total votes: 15

Insouciant Western People

Re: UK cities ranking

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 14:41

OCT wrote:know well and it's a shithole

Manchester

I'm intrigued by this. Why?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 14:42

Nick wrote:

Manchester

I like Manchester mostly because I have friends there, but it is not a beautiful city by any stretch of the imagination.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 14:58

I'm quite happy in the UK.

It's home and I like it here. I'm sure I could be happy elsewhere but I have no desire to live in Europe (or elsewhere ) these days.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

`

Postby ` » 14 Feb 2018, 15:00

Darkness_Fish wrote:
OCT wrote:know well and it's a great place
Preston

<insert meme of a cat looking fucking baffled>

Wrong species...

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Preston_ ... %26_Gromit)?file=Imagepreston.jpg

`

Postby ` » 14 Feb 2018, 15:02

Darkness_Fish wrote:
OCT wrote:know well and it's a great place
Preston

<insert meme of a cat looking fucking baffled>

Wrong species...
http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Preston_ ... %26_Gromit)?file=Imagepreston.jpg

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 15:12

Goat Boy wrote:I'm quite happy in the UK.

It's home and I like it here. I'm sure I could be happy elsewhere but I have no desire to live in Europe (or elsewhere ) these days.

The only real reason I'd leave is for the weather. But I think I'd feel a bit of a fraud retiring somewhere hot and not integrating into the life of the place.

I went to a wedding in Spain a few years back where the father of the bride told me that he had lived there for 25 years and took pride in the fact that he hadn't learnt a word of the language. I loathed him immediately.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 14 Feb 2018, 15:13

Toby wrote:
Nick wrote:

Manchester

I like Manchester mostly because I have friends there, but it is not a beautiful city by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not especially friendly either.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Feb 2018, 15:14

Toby wrote:I went to a wedding in Spain a few years back where the father of the bride told me that he had lived there for 25 years and took pride in the fact that he hadn't learnt a word of the language. I loathed him immediately.

I know a large number of people who've settled outside the UK and haven't bothered to learn (much of) the local language. Whatever. I don't know why it bothers people.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2018, 15:20

I think you should make an effort with these things.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 15:23

OCT wrote:
Toby wrote:I went to a wedding in Spain a few years back where the father of the bride told me that he had lived there for 25 years and took pride in the fact that he hadn't learnt a word of the language. I loathed him immediately.

I know a large number of people who've settled outside the UK and haven't bothered to learn (much of) the local language. Whatever. I don't know why it bothers people.

Outside of Europe, particularly in Asia, I can understand to a certain extent that those languages are more complex and harder to learn. But fundamentally I think it's just rude. If you're going to live somewhere, at least make an effort.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Feb 2018, 15:26

Yeah, I know you should make the effort. I think the vast majority do pick up a few phrases, at least.

But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2018, 15:33

OCT wrote:Yeah, I know you should make the effort. I think the vast majority do pick up a few phrases, at least.

But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

I agree.
Only a knobhead would snarl at say, a Turkish cafe opening in Odsal Top wouldn't they? Or Polish cafes in Bradford? A reasonable person would say 'isn't it fabulous that people can find some sense of their homeland even though they are not there any more?'
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 15:36

OCT wrote:But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

Chattering class types love to slag off Brits abroad for doing that, but would never dream of applying the same standard to immigrants to the UK.

On the other side, the Daily Mail right wing do the obverse.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Feb 2018, 15:38

I call it 'Griff's dilemma'
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 15:39

Bernie on FB wrote:
OCT wrote:Yeah, I know you should make the effort. I think the vast majority do pick up a few phrases, at least.

I agree.
Only a knobhead would snarl at say, a Turkish cafe opening in Odsal Top wouldn't they? Or Polish cafes in Bradford? A reasonable person would say 'isn't it fabulous that people can find some sense of their homeland even though they are not there any more?'

Yep.

I love living in a city where I can, if I wish, go to eat at restaurants offering food from places like Russia, Ethiopia, Armenia and Jamaica.

Or I can go and have a traditional English Sunday lunch, or fish & chips.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Feb 2018, 15:40

Nick wrote:
OCT wrote:But the idea that you form your own little communities - other expats who you get together with for drinks/chats - tends to upset some people. Even more annoying is that they look for English food in the south of Spain or wherever. I just think it's to be expected. Nobody gets hurt.

Chattering class types love to slag off Brits abroad for doing that, but would never dream of applying the same standard to immigrants to the UK.

That's it.

Toby talks about 'integrating', but that's quite another thing. I'd argue it's close to impossible - and also that it's not necessarily even desirable.

I've lived in several places in Europe and I've never even felt close to becoming integrated. How do you do that?

Anyway this is a whole other issue and one that could get a bit sticky...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Feb 2018, 15:41

Bernie on FB wrote:I call it 'Griff's dilemma'

:lol:

Yes!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 15:42

I get that expats stick together. It's entirely natural and I've witnessed and partaken of it in Japan and Germany. It's more when people live somewhere and expect others to understand them even when they make no effort. It's essentially around the coast of Spain and Portugal, because British expats carry a certain amount of power just by the fact that the tourism generated by them keeps local economies going.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Feb 2018, 15:47

OCT wrote:Toby talks about 'integrating', but that's quite another thing. I'd argue it's close to impossible - and also that it's not necessarily even desirable.

I agree that full "integration" is probably not possible within one's lifetime of living somewhere. It can only be generational - 2nd or 3rd generation who grow up entirely in that country.

I think that if you are going to live somewhere permanently and starting a family who will be living there too, integration is a must. Keeping your identity is important too, and there is no reason why that shouldn't be lost, or at least change in some way.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 15:50

OCT wrote:
Toby wrote:I like Manchester mostly because I have friends there, but it is not a beautiful city by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not especially friendly either.

The architecture is stunning in many parts. Yeah there are bits that still look like a dump, mostly now on the outskirts, but buildings like the City Library, Chetham's School of Music, the John Rylands Library, The Cathedral, the Palace Hotel, what used to be the Free Trade Hall, the Royal Exchange and many more, are all lovely. And the Town Hall is a marvel, one of the finest Neo-Gothic buildings in the country.

It doesn't have the architectural cohesion of York or Edinburgh though, like London's it's now a hotch-potch of styles.

I wouldn't say it's the friendliest place I've lived. I mean, I'm from Tyneside. But I wouldn't call it unfriendly. I've lived here more than five years and never really seen much bother in pubs or out and about. People are generally pretty affable and helpful on the trams, trains and buses. And you don't get as much of the professional Manc wanker as you might think.
Last edited by Insouciant Western People on 14 Feb 2018, 16:14, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Nextdoorland”