UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

Glasgow
47%
Edinburgh
53%

Total votes: 15

Rayge

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Rayge » 24 Feb 2018, 22:29

The Modernist wrote:And I was replying to Echolalia!

I don't know Ray...that's not my impression, or indeed of people I know who have lived there a long time. Superficially parts like the North Laines haven't changed that much I guess, but it feels very different. I think that it's changed pretty radically is widely accepted among people I know. What you think about this depends where you're coming from though. For rich people who have maybe swapped Islington for Brighton, then seeing it go upmarket is a good thing.

Fair enough G, our impressions are bound to be different. I spent a bit of time there a couple of years ago, staying with a friend in Kemptown, but before that hadn't been for fifteen years, after falling out with my mate acid and Frisbee partner Bill, who still lives in Hove. Spent loads of time there in the late 70s to late 90s as had more than one friend there, was dealing. We were druggies, and stayed in at night, and didn't really mix with people other than other druggies, bohos and lowlifes living in rentals, mostly Georgian stuff up by Seven Dials and Hove. And because I never actually lived there, the sense of being by the sea, of edginess (literally), the absurdity of the pavilion, the piers and the beachlife, the gayness, the street art, those louche streets on the walk from the station to the Old Steine – I just didn't really pick up on any gentrification, or social movement, because my Brighton was always about the topography, the possibilities, acid, frisbee and the sea, access to the Downs, and so on.
So we're both right really. :)
And good luck at our ground tomorrow.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Feb 2018, 07:48

The Modernist wrote:I'd be surprise if you've spent your time in Brighton hanging out with people from Whitehawk.
I used to work to for the council dealing with the housing problems and social problems (which were numerous) in Moulsecombe. There was absolutely nothing romantic about it believe me.

Well, that’s my point really. I lived in moulsecoombe and Coldean - no one is ever going to gentrify them and they’re Walking distance from town centre. The ladies I was a cleaner with did refer to their part of Moulsecommbe as Upper Bevendean though and they thought it was posher.

Brighton has its own distictive character and will never be some Yuppie enclave ‘London by the sea’ in my opinion.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 25 Feb 2018, 08:24

echolalia wrote:
Super-Jank wrote:Quite soon I have to decide between Edinburgh and Glasgow for my next home.

Go to Falkirk and get the best of both worlds! Or, do an Alex Trocchi and flit up and down the Forth-Clyde canal on a houseboat, if it’s still going.

Best of luck, anyway. Is this the end of your European adventures, John?

I think so. Although now I've been back in the UK for a while, the shine's worn off.

I suppose I'll never be able to call anywhere home :(
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Feb 2018, 14:22

Super-Jank wrote:I suppose I'll never be able to call anywhere home :(

You still haven’t been to NEW YORK!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 25 Feb 2018, 14:50

Very Stable Baron wrote:
Super-Jank wrote:I suppose I'll never be able to call anywhere home :(

You still haven’t been to NEW YORK!

:cry:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 28 Feb 2018, 09:55

Edinburgh or Glasgow? Fuck that shit.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Feb 2018, 23:51

Come up here and say that....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 01 Mar 2018, 11:29

Any decision yet John?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 01 Mar 2018, 12:08

I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.

I'll be up in Edinburgh at the end of April running a weekend TEFL course so that'll give me more of an idea of the place. I just have to avoid Dougie. :)

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Mar 2018, 12:16

Glasgow! Of course I would say that, though. Edinburgh is great as well. Both better than Perth!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 01 Mar 2018, 12:29

Glasgow tends to be favoured by most people I've talked to, and based on my own experience I think I might just prefer to live there - but there's not much in it.

Edinburgh beat Glasgow in our UK cities poll (where many people voted):

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=103799

but it's the little things that put me off about both places - in my head, at least, Glasgow's still a bit rough and the centre is an ugly mess (litter everywhere, folk staggering about), and Edinburgh is dainty and posh and more like a town than a city. And yes, I know these are stereotypes and anyway not true when you get out of the centre, but, you know...it all adds to your basic idea of a place.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 02 Mar 2018, 13:40

Jeemo wrote:Come up here and say that....

I try to avoid everywhere I'm not welcome.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 01 May 2018, 09:27

The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.

Still can't...

If anyone knows of any flats going in either place - for June, July and August (possibly longer) then please let me know.

What are the best websites for flat rentals anyway?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 01 May 2018, 11:04

The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:
The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.

Still can't...

If anyone knows of any flats going in either place - for June, July and August (possibly longer) then please let me know.

I think I used just the regular ones Zoopla, rightmove etc. I'll ask around if I know anyone who has a room to spare... though I guess 3 months is a Short lease to get.
Also when I looked places would go the same day they were advertised. There is also absolutely no rule of how much it cost, versus value. We looked at so many just within our price range that left us utterly depressed because they were creepy or weird or just awful... and then a beaut came up, cheaper than all and ended up being one of the nicest flats I've ever lived in.

P.s I never found Glasgow that dirty. It has its rough parts... But not nearly as bad as some cities I've lived in.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Django

Postby Django » 04 May 2018, 11:25

No mention of Chester?

How I love it here! Moved here on a temporary basis when I was 24 and still here 18 years later. A small, lovely place where you can walk across the old city proper in less than 10 minutes. Less than an hour from Manchester, Liverpool, the Peak District, Snowdonia and the coastlines of both North Wales and the Wirral. A bit insular, perhaps, and lacking in culture, but that's getting better all the time with a new arts centre and a collective of gig promoters who are really trying to make things happen.

I was born and raised in Liverpool and couldn't wait to get away, largely because of the army of chip-on-their-shoulder, let's-pretend-we-never-went-to-school-and-can't-speak-properly professional Scousers, but with time and distance I can see it for the beautiful, historic, resolute town that it is.

(Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 04 May 2018, 11:32

hippopotamus wrote:

Still can't...

I think I used just the regular ones Zoopla, rightmove etc. I'll ask around if I know anyone who has a room to spare... though I guess 3 months is a Short lease to get.
Also when I looked places would go the same day they were advertised.

Thanks, K.

See, I've tried those websites but have had no reply to any of the messages I sent.

Did you call them up? It looks like that's the only way they do business - on the phone.

hippopotamus wrote:P.s I never found Glasgow that dirty. It has its rough parts... But not nearly as bad as some cities I've lived in.

Oh, no - I've lived in much dirtier cities too.

The very centre, tho' - just near the station (where we met) always looks shabby to me.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 04 May 2018, 11:33

Django wrote:No mention of Chester?

How I love it here! Moved here on a temporary basis when I was 24 and still here 18 years later. A small, lovely place where you can walk across the old city proper in less than 10 minutes. Less than an hour from Manchester, Liverpool, the Peak District, Snowdonia and the coastlines of both North Wales and the Wirral. A bit insular, perhaps, and lacking in culture, but that's getting better all the time with a new arts centre and a collective of gig promoters who are really trying to make things happen.

I was born and raised in Liverpool and couldn't wait to get away, largely because of the army of chip-on-their-shoulder, let's-pretend-we-never-went-to-school-and-can't-speak-properly professional Scousers, but with time and distance I can see it for the beautiful, historic, resolute town that it is.

(Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.)

Hiya G!

I like Chester a lot too. Lancaster is similar in size and style, I think. Peaceful places.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 04 May 2018, 12:15

hippopotamus wrote:P.s I never found Glasgow that dirty. It has its rough parts... But not nearly as bad as some cities I've lived in.

Oh, no - I've lived in much dirtier cities too.

The very centre, tho' - just near the station (where we met) always looks shabby to me.

Yes, but you turn a corner and you're on George's square, and all is forgiven.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 May 2018, 12:57

I was in Chester on monday, although sadly for a funeral.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 01 Aug 2018, 15:22

THERE ARE NO GREAT BRITISH CITIES

Return to “Nextdoorland”