UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

Glasgow
7
47%
Edinburgh
8
53%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20813
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Jeemo » 28 Feb 2018, 23:51

Come up here and say that....
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17037
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby clive gash » 01 Mar 2018, 11:29

Any decision yet John?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Mar 2018, 12:08

I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.

I'll be up in Edinburgh at the end of April running a weekend TEFL course so that'll give me more of an idea of the place. I just have to avoid Dougie. :)
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Ranking Ted
Posts: 12536
Joined: 03 Feb 2004, 22:13
Location: Northern Britain

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Mar 2018, 12:16

Glasgow! Of course I would say that, though. Edinburgh is great as well. Both better than Perth!

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Mar 2018, 12:29

Glasgow tends to be favoured by most people I've talked to, and based on my own experience I think I might just prefer to live there - but there's not much in it.

Edinburgh beat Glasgow in our UK cities poll (where many people voted):

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=103799


but it's the little things that put me off about both places - in my head, at least, Glasgow's still a bit rough and the centre is an ugly mess (litter everywhere, folk staggering about), and Edinburgh is dainty and posh and more like a town than a city. And yes, I know these are stereotypes and anyway not true when you get out of the centre, but, you know...it all adds to your basic idea of a place.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 1760
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Jumper K » 02 Mar 2018, 13:40

Jeemo wrote:Come up here and say that....

I try to avoid everywhere I'm not welcome.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 May 2018, 09:27

The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.


Still can't...

If anyone knows of any flats going in either place - for June, July and August (possibly longer) then please let me know.

What are the best websites for flat rentals anyway?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 945
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby hippopotamus » 01 May 2018, 11:04

The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:
The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.


Still can't...

If anyone knows of any flats going in either place - for June, July and August (possibly longer) then please let me know.

What are the best websites for flat rentals anyway?


I think I used just the regular ones Zoopla, rightmove etc. I'll ask around if I know anyone who has a room to spare... though I guess 3 months is a Short lease to get.
Also when I looked places would go the same day they were advertised. There is also absolutely no rule of how much it cost, versus value. We looked at so many just within our price range that left us utterly depressed because they were creepy or weird or just awful... and then a beaut came up, cheaper than all and ended up being one of the nicest flats I've ever lived in.

P.s I never found Glasgow that dirty. It has its rough parts... But not nearly as bad as some cities I've lived in.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
Django
Posts: 13369
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 14:33
Contact:

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Django » 04 May 2018, 11:25

No mention of Chester?

How I love it here! Moved here on a temporary basis when I was 24 and still here 18 years later. A small, lovely place where you can walk across the old city proper in less than 10 minutes. Less than an hour from Manchester, Liverpool, the Peak District, Snowdonia and the coastlines of both North Wales and the Wirral. A bit insular, perhaps, and lacking in culture, but that's getting better all the time with a new arts centre and a collective of gig promoters who are really trying to make things happen.

I was born and raised in Liverpool and couldn't wait to get away, largely because of the army of chip-on-their-shoulder, let's-pretend-we-never-went-to-school-and-can't-speak-properly professional Scousers, but with time and distance I can see it for the beautiful, historic, resolute town that it is.

(Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.)

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 04 May 2018, 11:32

hippopotamus wrote:
The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:
The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:I'm still thinking about it. It's definitely going to be one of those two cities but I really cannot make up my mind.


Still can't...

If anyone knows of any flats going in either place - for June, July and August (possibly longer) then please let me know.

What are the best websites for flat rentals anyway?


I think I used just the regular ones Zoopla, rightmove etc. I'll ask around if I know anyone who has a room to spare... though I guess 3 months is a Short lease to get.
Also when I looked places would go the same day they were advertised.


Thanks, K.

See, I've tried those websites but have had no reply to any of the messages I sent.

Did you call them up? It looks like that's the only way they do business - on the phone.



hippopotamus wrote:P.s I never found Glasgow that dirty. It has its rough parts... But not nearly as bad as some cities I've lived in.


Oh, no - I've lived in much dirtier cities too.

The very centre, tho' - just near the station (where we met) always looks shabby to me.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 04 May 2018, 11:33

Django wrote:No mention of Chester?

How I love it here! Moved here on a temporary basis when I was 24 and still here 18 years later. A small, lovely place where you can walk across the old city proper in less than 10 minutes. Less than an hour from Manchester, Liverpool, the Peak District, Snowdonia and the coastlines of both North Wales and the Wirral. A bit insular, perhaps, and lacking in culture, but that's getting better all the time with a new arts centre and a collective of gig promoters who are really trying to make things happen.

I was born and raised in Liverpool and couldn't wait to get away, largely because of the army of chip-on-their-shoulder, let's-pretend-we-never-went-to-school-and-can't-speak-properly professional Scousers, but with time and distance I can see it for the beautiful, historic, resolute town that it is.

(Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.)


Hiya G!

I like Chester a lot too. Lancaster is similar in size and style, I think. Peaceful places.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 945
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby hippopotamus » 04 May 2018, 12:15

The Ivy League Spiritual Gonad Orchestra wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:P.s I never found Glasgow that dirty. It has its rough parts... But not nearly as bad as some cities I've lived in.


Oh, no - I've lived in much dirtier cities too.

The very centre, tho' - just near the station (where we met) always looks shabby to me.


Yes, but you turn a corner and you're on George's square, and all is forgiven.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23554
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Toby » 04 May 2018, 12:57

I was in Chester on monday, although sadly for a funeral.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Aug 2018, 15:22

THERE ARE NO GREAT BRITISH CITIES
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 4593
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: UK cities ranking NOW WITH THRILLING POLL!

Postby echolalia » 01 Aug 2018, 22:51

Great Yarmouth?