BCB Unboxing thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

BCB Unboxing thread

Postby Jimbo » 14 Feb 2018, 07:47

Just bought me my first pair of wireless earphones to listen on my Nano. (Do you know Apple no longer sells iPods?) These are a China made brand I never heard of - ALPREX and cost about $25. They're black and kind of rugged looking. They look like they should sound good. I chose these because they've got an over the ear stiffened wire to ensure they don't fall out when at the gym. (Who's sniggering?) The two phones are connected by a wire with a small controller slid up on the right side. It took me some time to decipher the Japanese instructions and after charging and then futzing around for a few minutes they paired up pretty well. It's a nice feeling not being tied to the device. I walked away from the Nano about 25 feet before the signal cut out. They seem to fit all right but they're a little wobbly and lack the snugness I'd like. Maybe I'll try other ear tips later. Shaking my head now around I think they''ll stay on my head all right but I can feel the wire and controller rubbing my under my neck. I may wear the wire backwards at the gym but then I won't have easy access to the controls. But the most important thing is the sound right? These fucking suck. Music sounds as bass-less and tinny as 100 yen ($1) phones. They''ll do for podcasts and audiobooks, I guess. I just might re-box them and return them. Maybe I will… Two Stars.
Gadfly

Jimbo

Re: BCB Unboxing thread

Postby Jimbo » 14 Feb 2018, 11:07

I took them back. I repacked the shit earphones as best I could. The tape was off so there was no way to pretend it was unopened. I walked back to the store, about 10 minutes from here. It's a chain discount shop that sells everything. I went to the register and said I wanted to return them. The woman asked what was wrong, was something not working? I said they sounded bad so, yes the sound was not working. She called over a manger who said I could exchange them but no money back. I looked over the discount store stock of wireless earphones and just felt they would be more of the same shit sound so asked again for my money back and they said no. I said, fine, keep my money. You probably need it more than I. And keep the damn earphones. I showed them! (not)
Gadfly

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Feb 2018, 13:40

You should've gotten 25 $ worth of candy in return.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 14 Feb 2018, 13:41

Am I the only one who thinks 'unboxing' is an awful word?
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 14 Feb 2018, 14:09

Nick wrote:Am I the only one who thinks 'unboxing' is an awful word?

You are not.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Mar 2018, 05:01

The dumb saga continues. How many sets of earphones, earpods, wired and wireless must a music fan have? I have drawerfuls! - er, almost.

So I brought back, er, dropped off my first pair of wireless earpoddy things and was soon captivated by an Amazon ad for these low-priced ($30) and highly rated wireless headphones.

Senso (Japanese for "war") ActiveBuds S-250

They look pretty good. And as tech they are amazing. But an issue I have always had with "buds" is their inability to fit securely in my ear canal. When I exercise I'd frequently have to stop my routine to reset a loosened bud back in my ear. I'd hoped that with these their ear hooks would take care of that. Turned out they felt as wobbly in my ear as the others but at least with these the wired bud didn't flop out and dangle over my sneakers. And because they never set well in my ear the sound suffered and they sounded tinny. But I went and experimented with the differently sized ear tips and found the largest ones felt the most secure like a toilet plunger filling up the rim of my outer ear hole. And they sounded all right now too. So I went back to the gym where they performed well enough.

But now I was concerned with a second problem. It's what Tesla car drivers call "range anxiety." Maybe other wireless users might comment on it. See, with my iPod Nano set on Blue Tooth the spinny thing was always searching for a device even though it was locked onto my new device. As a result my Nano battery was depleting faster than it ever had - a lot faster! At the same time wireless earphone batts were going down. If I went to sleep with the earphones in I'd wake up with two dead devices.

So now my drawer contains another set of earphones and I am back to the same type of cheap ($10) and tiny ear phones, my trusty Sony MDR-EX15lps.

These go deep into my ear and while they may loosen up, if I loop the wire back over my ear they stay on my head. And they sound just fine. Plus, my Nano batt lasts a lot, lot longer.
Gadfly

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Mar 2018, 09:21

Every time I see this thread, I think it's going to be a discussion of use of generics in programming, or at least type T in .net. Such a shame my collection of popular sayings in code form never caught on.

{
while (May="in")
{
check(May);
if (May == "out")
{
var clout1 = (clout) May.Clout;
}
}
}
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

nev gash
cultural defective

Postby nev gash » 28 Mar 2018, 09:28

That’s what it’s all about.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Mar 2018, 09:30

I'd like it to be impressions of new gadgets we've acquired, a kind of BCB consumer guide.
Gadfly

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Mar 2018, 09:31

nev gash wrote:That’s what it’s all about.

You're confusing my irrelevance with the hokey-cokey, good sir.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Mar 2018, 19:39

I have one pair of over the head headphones for inside listening and one pair of IEM for traveling. I spend a little time researching anything that really matters to me and that I'll use a lot otherwise it ends up in the landfill post haste and that's not thrifty or kind to the earth. Take some time to find out what's on the market and look for good value not the cheapest price. It's not that hard. I've had both of the above for about five years and they are still in great shape, comfortable and still sound really good to my ears.