Graham Greene and the Nobel Prize for Literature

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Graham Greene and the Nobel Prize for Literature

Postby Moleskin » 13 Feb 2018, 13:34

Greene was (supposedly several times) passed over for the Nobel prize – the closest he seems to have come was in 1967 when he and Jorge Luis Borges lost out to Miguel Angel Asturias (me neither).

Should he have won (if not that year, at some point)? And conversely, what of William Golding, who did win in 1982 – should he? He’s not much read apart from The Lord of the Flies, I think. (Full disclosure here, I’ve read the lot.)

And is the nobel worth much? Do you regard it as a recommendation at all?

I am currently reading – among other things – the works of Halldor Laxness, the Icelandic novelist who won in 1955. They are excellent, engaging and humorous. ‘Independent People’ and ‘Iceland’s Bell’ are my picks if you fancy a go.

And – having read about him – I am kind of interested in tracking down some of Asturias’ novels.
Last edited by Moleskin on 13 Feb 2018, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Geezee

Re: Grahame Greene and the Nobel Prize for Literature

Postby Geezee » 13 Feb 2018, 14:25

I think they tend to find a very good balance, which is unusual for any award, let alone something as difficult to assess as literature.

This is vaguely amusing, an "alternative" nobel prize award (and somewhat to funny to note that reality mimicked fiction with Bob Dylan being an "alternative" winner...). Clearly the list of non-winners is huge (and contains many of my favourite authors), and the list of winners is occasionally obtuse/ponderous but generally I find the former more interesting than the latter.

http://www.greatbooksguide.com/nobel2.html
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 13 Feb 2018, 14:49

It's Graham not Grahame.
Sorry, but it's been annoying me. :)

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Feb 2018, 16:46

I rate the Booker and the US National Book Awards and Pulitzer higher than the Nobel.

The Neustadt, which is given every two years, is an award given to an author's entire body of work.

Remember, last year's Nobel literature prize was given to Bob Dylan.
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Feb 2018, 17:16

sloopjohnc wrote:I rate the Booker and the US National Book Awards and Pulitzer higher than the Nobel.

The Neustadt, which is given every two years, is an award given to an author's entire body of work.

Booker and Pulitzer ultimately have a far too myopic scope for my tastes - although it's rare that I don't at least pick up the Booker winner. Neustadt I've never understood the point - it's essentially the exact same award as the Nobel.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 13 Feb 2018, 18:40

sloopjohnc wrote:I rate the Booker and the US National Book Awards and Pulitzer higher than the Nobel.

The Nobel is for a life's work too, and has a more interesting list for the years that the Neustadt has also been going.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music