Mindfulness meditation....

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
quix

Re: Mindfulness meditation....

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 17:49

take5_d_shorterer wrote:Another view in this article from the Guardian, which raises three points that

1) "mindfulness practice" might have bad consequences
2) it has often become a semi-mandatory part of some corporate retreats and other official activities,
3) the people who lead these sessions are not necessarily well-trained.

I know someone at work who had a very bad reaction, for want of a better term, to mindfulness. So I’m sure that exists as a phenomena.

I also think that just because meditation can help with coping with stress and pressure at work it doesn’t excuse employers from being the cause of it.

I didn’t even realise I was that stressed at work when I first discovered it. I had been working under such enormous pressure for so long (and getting really good results performance wise) that I hadn’t noticed that I’d normalised the stress and that it was changing my behaviour and affecting my relationships and my health, even though I felt fine. What mindfulness has helped me to do is recognise when the pressure and workload is too much and rather than just gritting my teeth and getting on with it, taking positive action to deal with it which has sometimes meant having conversations about it with my employer, and renegotiating targets and deadlines etc which are possible to achieve but at a cost to me which is not good for me. And I’m lucky, my employer and my manager have both been great.

I agree with the quote below and I think it’s unacceptable.

“Mindfulness has been grabbed in recent years as a way to help people cope with their own powerlessness in the workplace,” Davies says. “We’re now reaching the stage where mandatory meditation is being discussed as a route to heightened productivity, in tandem with various apps, wearable devices and forms of low-level employee surveillance.”

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Feb 2018, 17:52

quix wrote:
Very Stable Baron wrote:My mother has been lecturing us (her ex-spouse and children) about being mindful and the benefits of meditation for all my life. I have no doubt that meditation and "mindfulness" practice is beneficial for a lot of people, but I don't feel like I particularly need it. My mind is reasonably placid and I tend to focus on what I'm doing and where I am so . . . She's always been giving me books about this stuff and I've read a few, so maybe some of it soaked in.

Yeah some people just seem to be naturally mindful... calm... focused... present etc. Or like you say... maybe it’s rubbed off on you a little too.

I definitely needed it. I was stuck in “fight mode” for a while. The pressures of a five year gruelling court case in my personal life where I had to fight tooth and nail to win and the pressures of a very demanding job... stress had become normalised and unhealthy.

But mindful doesn't really mean "calm" does it? It could mean "taking care" or "attentive" perhaps.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 17:58

K wrote:
quix wrote:
Very Stable Baron wrote:My mother has been lecturing us (her ex-spouse and children) about being mindful and the benefits of meditation for all my life. I have no doubt that meditation and "mindfulness" practice is beneficial for a lot of people, but I don't feel like I particularly need it. My mind is reasonably placid and I tend to focus on what I'm doing and where I am so . . . She's always been giving me books about this stuff and I've read a few, so maybe some of it soaked in.

Yeah some people just seem to be naturally mindful... calm... focused... present etc. Or like you say... maybe it’s rubbed off on you a little too.

I definitely needed it. I was stuck in “fight mode” for a while. The pressures of a five year gruelling court case in my personal life where I had to fight tooth and nail to win and the pressures of a very demanding job... stress had become normalised and unhealthy.

But mindful doesn't really mean "calm" does it? It could mean "taking care" or "attentive" perhaps.

Yes. I’d agree with that. I’m being lazy about how I’m describing it.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Feb 2018, 18:03

No, it's a common usage nowadays so at some point it will become the norm.
But I don't like it.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Feb 2018, 18:54

quix wrote:“Mindfulness has been grabbed in recent years as a way to help people cope with their own powerlessness in the workplace,” Davies says. “We’re now reaching the stage where mandatory meditation is being discussed as a route to heightened productivity, in tandem with various apps, wearable devices and forms of low-level employee surveillance.”

I don't think it's just a reaction to the workplace, but the stress of every day life - commuting, and a bunch of other stuff.

Some cultures, I suppose, use mindfulness in other ways - prayer, meditation - as part of their religious practices, but mindfulness seems very much a "first world" solution to stress.

I think in most places, stress is deciding whether you eat yourself or feed your kids, having food at all, repairing your fishing boat or nets or when you're going to get the water from the village well.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 Feb 2018, 08:30

Can we laugh now?
I run out of talent

quix

Postby quix » 11 Feb 2018, 09:36

WG Kaspar wrote:Can we laugh now?

Mindfully. :D

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Feb 2018, 10:26

Transactional Analysis usually sorts everything out.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 12 Feb 2018, 00:38

Toby wrote:I also loathe the words "wellness" and "mindfulness" - purely because they sound so horribly clunky.

They're up there in my pantheon of detested words along with 'problematic', 'intersectionality', and 'diversity'.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 12 Feb 2018, 07:51

It's the only way I survived college honestly.
It's part of how I manage my stress and depression. When I don't meditate I get mood swingy and a wee bit cyclothymic and angry. When I do meditate regularly, it's a bit more manageable, but I'm always a bit of a looney. I think for me it helps me with anger. I have enormous rage bubbling beneath the surface from a variety of sources and experiences and PTSD so anything that makes me feel a little better focused and more relaxed is a good thing. The only downside is that I have chronic pain and it's pretty hard to get beyond my pain sometimes, my focusing will bring it all to the foreground before I can move beyond it. As my natural pain buffering fades and I move from consciousness towards the subconscious the pain increases and I can move beyond it, but for a moment it's seriously excruciating.
--m.