Mindfulness meditation....

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
quix

Mindfulness meditation....

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 13:19

Yeah yeah I know it’s the latest crazy but has anyone tried it? Do you practice it? Do you find it beneficial? Do you or have you ever practiced any other form of meditation? Do you believe it’s the saviour of mental and spiritual health or a crock of hippy dippy shite?

I love it :D

Pansy Puff

Re: Mindfulness meditation....

Postby Pansy Puff » 10 Feb 2018, 13:28

I participated in an introduction to mindfulness.
I couldn't do it. I was supposed to sit there, sensing my feet in contact with the floor and thinking of nothing, but I was bored and easily distracted. It's not for me.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Feb 2018, 13:54

I amaze myself these days at how jubilant and out of my self I feel just stepping out from my house into nature. I smile, take a deep breath and thank heaven to be alive. It's like a daily prison release. I don't think a meditation session could top that out of body experience.
Gadfly

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 14:03

K wrote:I participated in an introduction to mindfulness.
I couldn't do it. I was supposed to sit there, sensing my feet in contact with the floor and thinking of nothing, but I was bored and easily distracted. It's not for me.

Oh yes I know what you mean... a grounded neditation. I did a couple of those. They were rubbish :D

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 14:08

Jimbo wrote:I amaze myself these days at how jubilant and out of my self I feel just stepping out from my house into nature. I smile, take a deep breath and thank heaven to be alive. It's like a daily prison release. I don't think a meditation session could top that out of body experience.

Walking quietly in nature is the best meditation isn’t it...

I’m really lucky to have a lovely park just opposite where I work. I’ve been trying to go for a 20 minute walk a day (that’s all I could ever spare) around the park... I always go alone... I focus on what I can see... what I can hear... smell... feel. If I catch my mind “thinking” about anything I just put it on hold and come back to the experience of walking in the park...

I often start off with a head full of crap and stress and a million and one things flying around in it and even after 20 minutes I come back calmer, kinder, more peaceful and focused, centred and without doubt, far less stressed...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Feb 2018, 14:25

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Feb 2018, 14:35

quix wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I amaze myself these days at how jubilant and out of my self I feel just stepping out from my house into nature. I smile, take a deep breath and thank heaven to be alive. It's like a daily prison release. I don't think a meditation session could top that out of body experience.

Walking quietly in nature is the best meditation isn’t it...

That's mine. I seem to think better and not at all when I'm walking in nature, if that makes sense.

For my birthday a long time ago, my wife got me a massage and time in a flotation tank. The tank was the first part.

I lasted about three minutes before I got out. I hated it.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 14:48

The Great Defector wrote:CBT is the way forward. Fucking great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

I guess the main difference is that CBT is actively trying to identify and change thought processes and resultant behaviours and create new and more positive ones whereas meditation isn’t about changing thought patterns and behaviours... it’s more about observance, acceptance and non reactivity. Through practicing these things changes are possible...

They can both work really well but in slightly different ways I think...

I think anything which brings about a healthier mind is good!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 10 Feb 2018, 14:50

I've got a generally peaceful lifestyle so I'm not sure I really need it. For me, being absorbed in something, whether it be playing FIFA 17, being on the dancefloor for a few hours, playing a board game or reading a novel, seems to bring about the same feelings that I imagine I would get from it.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 14:50

sloopjohnc wrote:That's mine. I seem to think better and not at all when I'm walking in nature, if that makes sense.

Completely.

The brain needs to switch off sometimes and just be. And nature is the perfect partner for that.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 10 Feb 2018, 14:55

I also loathe the words "wellness" and "mindfulness" - purely because they sound so horribly clunky.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 14:57

Toby wrote:I've got a generally peaceful lifestyle so I'm not sure I really need it. For me, being absorbed in something, whether it be playing FIFA 17, being on the dancefloor for a few hours, playing a board game or reading a novel, seems to bring about the same feelings that I imagine I would get from it.

My husband says that about playing chess. He gets so totally absorbed in the game it that his body, any other thoughts, and the world around him completely disappears...

Physical sport is the same I suppose... but the focus in both these cases is on beating your opponent. Or maybe even that gets lost in the flow of it all... I don’t know...

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 15:01

Toby wrote:I also loathe the words "wellness" and "mindfulness" - purely because they sound so horribly clunky.

I don’t know about clunky but yes... I feel embarrassed saying I enjoy mindfulness practice.

I feel like it’s similar to saying that I prefer to shop at Waitrose.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 10 Feb 2018, 15:21

‘Wellness’ - like ‘fitness’ - is used pretty much indiscriminately all over Europe in the names of gyms, health foods, ads for dietary programmes... Students too (“tomorrow I will go to fitness”).
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 10 Feb 2018, 16:18

My mother has been lecturing us (her ex-spouse and children) about being mindful and the benefits of meditation for all my life. I have no doubt that meditation and "mindfulness" practice is beneficial for a lot of people, but I don't feel like I particularly need it. My mind is reasonably placid and I tend to focus on what I'm doing and where I am so . . . She's always been giving me books about this stuff and I've read a few, so maybe some of it soaked in.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 10 Feb 2018, 16:27

I took a course about 20 years ago. Changed my life immensely. The planet would be an entirely different place if everyone practiced it.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Feb 2018, 16:30

Mindfulness as a concept has a lot of value for me (no matter how mawkish some of the language and imagery associated with it might get).

Mediation is fine. I think it has value as a tool to rewire your thinking. But it’s just a tool. It isn’t magic - and there are other tools.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 17:06

Very Stable Baron wrote:My mother has been lecturing us (her ex-spouse and children) about being mindful and the benefits of meditation for all my life. I have no doubt that meditation and "mindfulness" practice is beneficial for a lot of people, but I don't feel like I particularly need it. My mind is reasonably placid and I tend to focus on what I'm doing and where I am so . . . She's always been giving me books about this stuff and I've read a few, so maybe some of it soaked in.

Yeah some people just seem to be naturally mindful... calm... focused... present etc. Or like you say... maybe it’s rubbed off on you a little too.

I definitely needed it. I was stuck in “fight mode” for a while. The pressures of a five year gruelling court case in my personal life where I had to fight tooth and nail to win and the pressures of a very demanding job... stress had become normalised and unhealthy.

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 10 Feb 2018, 17:26

Another view in this article from the Guardian, which raises three points that

1) "mindfulness practice" might have bad consequences
2) it has often become a semi-mandatory part of some corporate retreats and other official activities,
3) the people who lead these sessions are not necessarily well-trained.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 10 Feb 2018, 17:31

It just reminds me of stock photos where women are laughing and eating salad.