It's Friday. Please answer things.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

It's Friday. Please answer things.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2018, 16:40

Do you sulk? Are you any good at it? What would you sulk about?

The thorny issue of 'who to invite to a wedding'. Who should have the last word and what should influence the decisions?

What can't you resist: crisps or nuts?

Do water features in gardens impress you or do you think they're gauche?

What's currently worrying you?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: It's Friday. Please answer things.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Feb 2018, 17:01

No. Used to though. Not really, I'm too volatile. Sulking means being unreachable. I used to sulk for attention :)

The thorny issue of 'who to invite to a wedding'. Who should have the last word and what should influence the decisions?
Both parties getting married. No one else. It's *your* day, no one elses.

Nuts

When they add to the feel of the garden they're lovely, but when the garden gets built around them.....

Deciding to re-enter the housing market at 56 years of age!
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 09 Feb 2018, 17:57

Hardly ever, and I'm useless at it! I can try sulking, but I invariably crack up laughing at myself. I'm not built for sustaining prolonged emotion like that. I'm generally easy going, amiable, dislike confrontation, and forgive everyday stuff easily.

Someone has to really hurt or piss me off in a serious way for me to get properly angry with them, but the converse of that is that people who do push me that far, don't get forgiven. I am good at cutting people out of my life without a second thought, if the situation warrants it, and I can do it in what'is for me, an uncharacteristically cold manner.

The people getting married should alone decide (unless of course they want to ask for advice). I tend to think, quite strongly, that anyone trying to influence them on who should be invited or not, in any way, is being a bit previous, and should reel their neck in.

Crisps. I have such a jones for them. Although KP dry roasted peanuts do run them a very close second...

A stream running through a garden is nice, but I wouldn't have anything other than that in my garden. Leave the fountains and whatnot for stately homes and parks.

My dad's health. He's been on a slow but steady decline for a few years now, and while he's as bright and more or less optimistic as ever in terms of his personality, and he's still all there up top, he does have a couple of unpleasant chronic conditions that make life for him and my mum difficult, and he's often in a fair bit of pain and discomfort. He's largely immobile now, and has to have oxygen a lot of the time.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Feb 2018, 18:19

I don't. I move on and get on. In my business there is no point in being disappointed in people. At home, what does sulking gain? Nothing.

I don't do weddings.

I can resist both. Biscuits are much more difficult.

I tend to look at them in a practical way. How easy are they to keep clean and working? In my experience they are always too much work.

I don't worry. Bid and I were talking about this the other night. I stopped worrying when Stan became diabetic, and in many ways our world folded in on itself. Every night was a marathon of staying awake and panicking about whether he was Ok. it took at least two years before we could settle. After that I had nothing left to worry about. As long as my family are OK , I can manage.
You don't like me...do you?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Feb 2018, 20:50

Nah. I mean, I can sit and fume occasionally, but I do it in a very English way. I sit and think about all the witty insults I can throw, think about how I can prove I've been unjustly treated, raging inside, and then apologise when I next speak to the person.

The bride and groom. And nothing other than alcohol should influence the decision.

I do not eat baby trees.

Love 'em. I don't know why, there's something fundamentally pleasant about water flowing about somewhere nearby.

How my mum will cope living on her own. She's physically and mentally healthy, but how she's going to cope alone after 48 years of married life, I don't know. My brother lives too far away to help on a day to day basis, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Feb 2018, 21:00

I do not.

The bride and groom should have the final say. If they can't work that out, call it off!

I can seldom resist either (except when I'm at work... sometimes). I am, however, generally more likely to buy crisps (as you call them) than nuts.

I like um.

My dad and the fact that he really shouldn't be driving. At least I finally got him to make an appointment for a physical (well, actually, I made it for him, but with his blessing) so that isn't worrying me so much.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Feb 2018, 21:05

No. I can feel down about things but I’m not good at sulking. I’m expressive and pretty resilient, so a prolonged period of huffiness is beyond me.

Oh, I left it all to Mrs RT. There wasn’t too much of an argument about it but it’s definitely in path of least resistance/ battle not worth having territory for me.

I can inhale crisps if I’m hungry and they’re available.

Not really. In a big enough garden, perhaps. I don’t really care that much!

Work. Simply, there’s too much to do in too short a timescale, anxiety and sleeplessness, there’s dreadful politics and back biting, then there’s the dependency on it for family and my boy’s future, lack of balance in my life, lifestyle sacrifices, etc. It’s shit.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 10 Feb 2018, 08:24

I do but not very often. I'm rubbish at it as I can't take myself seriously.

You should, Min. Even if you don't know anyone involved.

Crisps.

Unless your garden was designed by Capability Brown then they are best left alone.

My mum has gone into care and I am having to sell her house and dispose of everything in it. It's not worrying me exactly but I can tell that it is going to stress me out.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 10:11

Bernie on FB wrote:Do you sulk? Are you any good at it? What would you sulk about?

1. Never! And it’s probably the thing that would most turn me off in a partner. I can’t stand men sulking. It makes me feel violent towards them.

2. I don’t really go in for weddings. Hopefully my children either won’t do it at all or they’ll just go off and do it. If they have a party they can invite whoever they like and not invite whoever they don’t like.

3. Crisps! Unless smoked almonds or salted cashews are on offer, then there would be a dilemma.

4. They’re gloriously ridiculous. Like columns on small houses. But long should they prosper!

5. A close friend who is being evicted in awful circumstances. It’s keeping me awake at night.

quix

Postby quix » 10 Feb 2018, 10:23

Ranking Ted wrote:Work. Simply, there’s too much to do in too short a timescale, anxiety and sleeplessness, there’s dreadful politics and back biting, then there’s the dependency on it for family and my boy’s future, lack of balance in my life, lifestyle sacrifices, etc. It’s shit.

:(

That’s awful. Pressure like that can make your life a misery. I empathise. The amount of work and the pressure I’m under to get results in my job is inhumane at times.

I meditate which really helps. I would never have believed that it would and I can hardly believe I’m recommending it but honestly, I’ve found it really helpful! I use a meditation app on my phone called Calm. I just plug in once a day for a few minutes. It’s had a dramatic effect on the way I deal with the pressure at work. I also do an exercise class once a week too which is another great way to beat the shit out of my stress levels!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 Feb 2018, 10:41

I do rather, in particular when arrangements are made without consulting me.
It should be the equal decision of those who are marrying, shouldn't it?
Nuts, though not peanuts. Pistachio nuts never survive my onslaught.

They usually end up a bit slimy. No, they don't really impress me.

The Middle East
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Feb 2018, 11:44

I don't think so. But isn't sulkiness an ascribed characteristic, rather than one that people generally embrace?

I've had two weddings and the 'thorny issue' never came up. It's up to whoever's arranging the wedding, I suppose.

I can resist them both, but it's easier to resist crisps because they are boring, whereas I'm passing fond of brazils, walnuts and pecans.
Pedanticus points out that peanuts aren't nuts at all, they're legumes (that said, though, VERY strictly speaking, brazils walnuts and pecans aren't nuts in the botanical sense either, so what do I know :) .

As a gardener, I've always understood that 'water feature' includes ponds and streams, and in my view, no garden, no matter how small, should be without some water, even if it's only a birdbath. And the sound of running water is so enjoyable that I would try to find room for some form of separate trickle feature. That said, fountains and formal ponds, especially raised ones, are not for me, smack too much of Classicism. 'Gauche' isn't a word I'd use, though.

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 10 Feb 2018, 12:05

Rayge wrote:the sound of running water is so enjoyable

I do like that, especially at night. Years ago my parents bought me a sort of earthenware plant pot affair filled with pebbles, and it had a hose attachment so that you could pipe water into it, to bubble up through the stones. At the time our bedroom had french windows opening out on to a decking area, and at night in the summer it was really nice to leave one of them open and fall asleep listening to the sounds of the water doing its thing.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 10 Feb 2018, 12:30

Nick wrote:
Rayge wrote:the sound of running water is so enjoyable

I do like that, especially at night..... fall asleep listening to the sounds of the water doing its thing.

Thanks Jeebus for Kylie

A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 10 Feb 2018, 12:36

I can live without nuts unless they are of premium quality. Stuff from supermarkets etc are usually tasteless shite not worth the time of day. Proper Pistachio's though...

My dietary bugbear is the M&S packs of crisps that look like tubes, wheels and curved bits, preferably pepper or chilli flavour. If I've been out in town on the lash I'll consume a whole packet of them on the train home, invariably to the mild consternation of anyone sitting near me.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 10 Feb 2018, 16:13

Not typically, no. I don't think so.

I didn't realize this was a thorny issue and that people had such strong opinions about it! If my parents had a view about certain people being included, I can't imagine not shutting them down. I can't imagine this being an issue.

I'd eat either one if they were sitting in front of me.

It depends.

1. Getting into a new place before our lease is up.
2. The amount of work I need to get done at work.
3. The amount of work I need to get done at home.
4. Re-writing a paper to my satisfaction in time for a spring deadline.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Feb 2018, 17:20

I'm a reasonable to moderately good sulker, though I don't do it in my marriage as I would get laughed at.

You see this is the couple's decision, yet the same question was asked in The Guardian "dilemma" section recently (I just shouldn't read it) and you would be astonished at how many people who responded said things like, "you want to destroy your relationship with your cousins forever through your selfishness??" I was genuinely shocked. Fuck em.

Crisps. They will be the death of me. I would chew through barbed wire to get to them.

I like them. Who wouldn't?

The amount of packing and cleaning that lies ahead of us in a pending house move and whether Rovers will get automatic promotion.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Feb 2018, 13:29

Not really. Not because I don't want to, sulking about absolutely everything would fit my personality perfectly, but while I can do Olympic level stropping, I just can't sustain it into a full-on sulk. I come bounding back like a sodding labrador after no time. Pathetic.

I put up some pretty futile resistance on principle, but it was all down to my wife, with a dose of slightly malevolent input from her mum. My mum and dad didn't quite order me to invite a couple of old family friends that I had left off, but they made their displeasure known!

Crisps. Rarely a day goes past without me eating at least one packet.

I have no real views on them. I suppose I would align against them if they were the physical manifestation of someone's pretentiousness or delusions of grandeur, but for the past 11 years I can only think of them in the context of whether it is a drowning hazard.

Quite a lot. Not a brain exploding amount, but enough to disrupt my already terrible sleep patterns.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Postby Wally Bingbang » 11 Feb 2018, 16:51

I have, but I try not to. It's not a good look on me.

I suppose it should be up to the bride and groom, but I have no experience with this stuff, so can't really say.

I do love me some 'crisps' (if I must call them that). I enjoy nuts, too.

A bit of both. It really depends on the situation. We tried having a little goldfish pond in our backyard when we first moved into our house - I made it from an old bathtub, but the raccoons kept eating the goldfish and leaving the heads laying around so we got rid of it shortly after.

Not much apart from some low-level financial angst and this hangover.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 12 Feb 2018, 20:49

I am the Queen of Everything Sulky. It's a skill I've cultivated over many years (48). I'll sulk about whatever I want; that's part of the pleasure.

Phil and I had no problems with this. My only concern was that we didn't invite children, because we had to work with a fixed number of day guests, and several of my friends have children- you can't invite one child without inviting everyone's child. I was so nervous that my parenty friends would take umbrage, but they were ALL delighted to leave their kids behind.

Well, I do love roasted pistachios, but I can eat a mountain of crisps and related snacks in one sitting. It's especially hard to resist a spicy tomato flavour Wheat Crunchie.

I like them. I think I could really enjoy a deliberately gauche one, in fact.

I worry constantly about work, especially as I'm still learning lots of new stuff; mostly the ins and outs of council tax recovery. Otherwise, I'm worried that I won't be able to watch Rupaul's Drag Race All Stars 3 for ages, and will have to wait until it hits Netflix. :(
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.