RIP John Perry Barlow - where the Internet and the Grateful Dead converged

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

RIP John Perry Barlow - where the Internet and the Grateful Dead converged

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 00:35

A founding member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation and former lyricist for the Grateful Dead, John Perry Barlow, has died at the age of 70, according to a statement issued by the Foundation.

Barlow was a poet, essayist, Internet pioneer and prominent cyber-libertarian. He co-founded the Electronic Frontier Foundation in 1990 after realizing that the government was ill-equipped to understand what he called the "legal, technical, and metaphorical nature of datacrime." He said believed that "everyone's liberties would become at risk."

Earlier in his life, Barlow was a lyricist for the Grateful Dead who co-wrote songs such as "Cassidy", "Mexicali Blues," and "Black-Throated Wind."

According to the Electric Frontier Foundation, Barlow "passed away quietly in his sleep" on Wednesday morning.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.

Charlie O.

Re: RIP John Perry Barlow - where the Internet and the Grateful Dead converged

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Feb 2018, 03:26

Not a big fan of his lyrics, on the whole, but he seemed like a pretty righteous cat. R.I.P.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Feb 2018, 19:37

He's a talking head in this documentary about the net neutrality issue that I just saw earlier this week.

It was an enlightening doc and Barlow came off as smart and likable, a pretty good combination.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Feb 2018, 21:12

Snarfyguy wrote:He's a talking head in this documentary about the net neutrality issue that I just saw earlier this week.

It was an enlightening doc and Barlow came off as smart and likable, a pretty good combination.

He was a Wyoming rancher for 40 years before he started the EFF. He came from a pretty strict Mormon family.

He met Weir at a military school. Weir had been a bad boy and grew up in affluent Menlo Park, near where I grew up. His family shipped him off and that's how he met Barlow.
WG Kaspar wrote:I'm a happy bunny.