Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Cult painters

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 13:53

Gustave Caillebotte:

"The Floor Scrapers" 1875

"Boulevard Seen From Above" 1880

"Boaters Rowing On The Yerres" 1877

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

"You were caught fucking another woman’s husband in a field while you were married, you camel-faced, racist troglodyte".

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 08 Feb 2018, 14:21

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:Image

Eric Ravilious.

Nice.

I hope to get this

When I get the money...

By coincidence I believe my bro has a Ravilious in his living room - not Wilmington though, that one's special because we had our wedding reception nearby.

They both remind me very much of this Paul Nash painting, one of my favourites by him.

Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 14:33

Hiroshige : I'm not sure Japanese wood cut prints are the kind of thing you're looking for G, but I've loved this guys work for quite some time now. He was a huge influence on alot of the impressionists (particularly Van Gogh, who actually mimicked one of the prints for a painting). I hunted down a book of the "53 Stations Of The Tokaido" which has its own (beautful) Wiki page here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifty ... kaid%C5%8D

A few examples :

Station 15 "Kanbara (A village in the snow)".... This may be familiar to you as the cover for Weezer's second album "PInkerton" (which is how I first started to investigate his work)

Station 32 "Shirasuka, View of Shiomizaka“"

Staion 48 "Sakashita"

All of his Hiroshige's work is well worth a look - there's a majesty about them that is stunning.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

"You were caught fucking another woman’s husband in a field while you were married, you camel-faced, racist troglodyte".

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Feb 2018, 14:52

Nick wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Eric Ravilious.

Nice.

I hope to get this

When I get the money...

By coincidence I believe my bro has a Ravilious in his living room - not Wilmington though, that one's special because we had our wedding reception nearby.

They both remind me very much of this Paul Nash painting, one of my favourites by him.

Both war artists - although Ravilious was WW2 only I think. And both interested in 'ancient' landscapes it would seem.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 08 Feb 2018, 15:27

Jimbo wrote:George W. Bush?

Nice to see him working on a self portrait.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Feb 2018, 15:57

Diamond Dog wrote:Gustave Caillebotte:

Mmmm obviously it's hard to draw the line somewhere but not sure he'd qualify as "cult" - he's one of the masters and you see his work in most major museums.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 17:01

Accepted. But not exactly a household name either.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Feb 2018, 18:05

Diamond Dog wrote:This is an artist I've fallen in love with myself the past month or so : Vilhelm Hammershoi, a Danish painter from 1864-1913.

"Interior of Courtyard, Strandgade 30".

"Interior. Standgade 30"

"Sunshine. Dust Motes Dancing in the Sunbeams"

Image.

I'll come back with more later.

I like these.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 08 Feb 2018, 18:53

The Modernist wrote:Great DF, that's the kind of thing I was after. I don't remember seeing his work at the MAG

There is, or was, a whole room dedicated to his stuff.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 19:02

Guy Pene Du Bois : he was a friend of Hopper, but I'm not sure who influenced who....

"The Crowd"

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 08 Feb 2018, 19:24

Wolfgang Paalen, occasionally affiliated to the Surrealists:

I think that where some surrealism is jokey or over-the-top, Paalen really explored the subconscious.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 08 Feb 2018, 19:30

Jean-Paul Riopelle. I think he's well-known in Canada but who gives a shit what they think?

On initial viewings these can seem quite normal abstract expressionism but I think there is a kind of cartography and coherent beauty to them.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Feb 2018, 19:33

Janis Rozentals, from my mother's home country of Latvia.

Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 08 Feb 2018, 20:08

PENK wrote:Jean-Paul Riopelle. I think he's well-known in Canada but who gives a shit what they think?

On initial viewings these can seem quite normal abstract expressionism but I think there is a kind of cartography and coherent beauty to them.

Count me as somewhat of a fan. I've photographed quite a few Riopelles for work, and they're almost always interesting. We had one in that was about 8'x6' that was spectacular, kinda like this one:

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Feb 2018, 20:46

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
PENK wrote:Jean-Paul Riopelle. I think he's well-known in Canada but who gives a shit what they think?

Count me as somewhat of a fan. I've photographed quite a few Riopelles for work, and they're almost always interesting. We had one in that was about 8'x6' that was spectacular, kinda like this one:

never heard of him but I like these a lot.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 09 Feb 2018, 00:23

Eric Ravilious.

I have that on my sitting room wall, not the original, and his painting of the Uffington White horse on another.

I love Ravilious

Died when his plane was lost en route to Iceland during WWII
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 09 Feb 2018, 08:29

PENK wrote:Wolfgang Paalen, occasionally affiliated to the Surrealists:

I think that where some surrealism is jokey or over-the-top, Paalen really explored the subconscious.

I really like that, thanks for posting it.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Feb 2018, 08:31

Again debatable over whether or not he is "cult", at least in Sweden, but probably not widely known abroad is the slightly Chagal-esque Nils Dardel -

Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Postby Insouciant Western People » 09 Feb 2018, 08:39

Anna Eva Bergman, a Norwegian abstract expressionist painter, active through the twentieth century. I discovered her when we visited the Oslo Museum of Contemporary Art a few year ago, and they had an exhibition of her works. There's also a permanent display of her paintings at the KODE Art Museums complex in Bergen, which I spent a very pleasant day wandering around in January last year.

There are similarities with Rothko in some of her works, in the large, textured blocks of colour. But she also used different materials in some pieces, such as metal foils, mixed with her paints.

Also like Rothko, seeing them online in small formats doesn't do justice to the impact of seeing the large paintings right in front of you, and some of them are absolutely huge, like Rothko's Seagram works.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 09:58

I'm really enjoying the contributions to this thread - it's nice when a thread goes well!
Don't worry too much about the thread title or take it too literally; I needed something as a thread title and 'painters who aren't as famous as Picasso or The Old Masters' would have been a bit cumbersome! The stuff being posted is what I wanted.