Cult painters

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Cult painters

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 18:34

A thread for artists you like who aren't hugely well known..so we'll leave aside yer Picassos, Van Goghs and Turners for the purposes of this thread. I've always really been into art, although I don't talk about it much on here. Anyway here's four artists I love. Please add your own..

John Atkinson Grimshaw - British Victorian landscape and cityscape painter who had a particular talent for moonlit scenes. I went to an exhibition of his paintings a few years ago and it blew me away. Technically as good as any British painter I've seen. He often paints scenes of mysterious solitude, very much like Edward Hopper in that respect, and like Hopper they invite all sorts of narrative questions and intrigue.

Samual Palmer - Mystical English painter of the mid 19th century who tried to establish a spiritual commune in Kent. His pictures have a luminous, magical quality that express a powerful English arcadia.

Stuart Davis -One of the 'Ashcan' group who went on to develop a proto American pop art in the 20s and 30s. His paintings are bursting with energy and ideas and are alive with the spirit of the age. I love American art of this period and went to a very good exhibition dedicated to it, I was already aware of Davis' work, but he was one of the artists who really stood out.

Pauline Boty - One of the pioneers of pop art in the UK. I find her more interesting than Peter Blake, say, because her painting style is more expressionistic, less concerned with realism. She always picked such interesting things to paint. Deserves to be far better known.

Some examples, in the above order, below..not necessarily my favourites, as some of those were too large to be posted.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Cult painters

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Feb 2018, 18:48

I wouldn't say Grimshaw wasn't well known. I've been obsessed with him my whole life!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 19:20

Bernie on FB wrote:I wouldn't say Grimshaw wasn't well known. I've been obsessed with him my whole life!

He's not a household name like Turner though. He's probably better known and appreciated in Yorkshire as he was a Yorkshireman.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 07 Feb 2018, 19:23

Oddly enough G the order you posted them in is directly proportional to my appreciation. I have seen some Grimshaw before and always liked him; the way you describe him is very apt.

On the other hand I thought the Boty was ugly and cackhanded.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 19:31

Her style is quite hard to define. She often combined something very painterly with complete abstraction ,so there's a lot of colliding impulses in her work, as in in this painting of Marilyn Monroe:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Feb 2018, 20:59

Pierre Adolph Valette - I guess anyone who regularly goes to the Manchester Art Gallery is going to have encountered his paintings, and they're largely framed in relation to his relationship as a tutor to LS Lowry. You can see the inspiration he provided Lowry, the industrial north is well represented in all its grime, but Valette was an impressionist and slightly more traditional in his approach. However, there's something that captivates me about the way he depicts the pre-war urban landscape, it's a contrast of murk and light, but there's something that's quite elegant (if not elegaic), he finds a rare beauty in drabness.

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 Feb 2018, 21:04

Pieter Bruegel the Elder is a big hit with me.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Feb 2018, 21:09

Great DF, that's the kind of thing I was after. I don't remember seeing his work at the MAG, but I was captivated by their large Pre-Raphaelite collection at the time.
I love the tonal quality there and they really evoke the industrial city. Reminds me a bit of Whistler.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Feb 2018, 12:07

The Modernist wrote:John Atkinson Grimshaw - British Victorian landscape and cityscape painter who had a particular talent for moonlit scenes. I went to an exhibition of his paintings a few years ago and it blew me away. Technically as good as any British painter I've seen. He often paints scenes of mysterious solitude, very much like Edward Hopper in that respect, and like Hopper they invite all sorts of narrative questions and intrigue.

My favourite British painter, not just favourite cult painter. And Hopper my favourite American. There is more influence from the styles of these two in my photography than any other, lthough rather than 'mysterious solitude' what I love most about Hopper is his talent for painting absences - the meaning comes from what's not depicted.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 12:26

I 'run' a FB page called "Paintings That Inspire" that has just over 200 'members' where quite a few of these artists have been mentioned... I'll go and find a few more and post them here later.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 12:37

This is an artist I've fallen in love with myself the past month or so : Vilhelm Hammershoi, a Danish painter from 1864-1913.

"Interior of Courtyard, Strandgade 30".

"Interior. Standgade 30"

"Sunshine. Dust Motes Dancing in the Sunbeams"

Image.

I'll come back with more later.
The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2018, 12:41

Glad to see Grimshaw is so popular, but I still reckon he qualifies. When I went to see his exhibtion, it was at the Guildhall, rather than the Tate or Royal Academy say. So it's like a band playing the Camden ballroom rather than Wembley Stadium. Plus there weren't a lot of people there, whereas when I've been to exhibitions by Pollock, Renoir, Picasso or Hopper say they've been absolutely rammed and even getting a ticket was difficult.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Feb 2018, 12:42

Interesting Pete, like an earlier Dutch Hopper.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 12:47

Kenton Nelson is a Californian artist, born in 1954.

"Miss Otis Takes Flight"

"Minor Adjustments"

"Mr Smith Starts The Day".

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Feb 2018, 12:49

George W. Bush?

Gadfly

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 08 Feb 2018, 12:50

Eric Ravilious.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 12:58

Armand Guillaumin a French impressionist 1841-1927.

"Moret Sur Loing"

"Sunset at Ivry"

"Moret"

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 08 Feb 2018, 13:06

Dave Robson of Swindon. Amazing stuff but quite disturbing so I suggest you don't Google him unless you've got a stiff drink to hand!
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Feb 2018, 13:07

Toby wrote:Image

Eric Ravilious.

Nice.

I hope to get this

When I get the money...

By coincidence I believe my bro has a Ravilious in his living room - not Wilmington though, that one's special because we had our wedding reception nearby.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2018, 13:12

Jacques Villon "Portrait Of Monsieur Duchamp" :

I actually saw this at The Ashmolean last year... when I first came across it I was thinking "what a mess" but as I turned away I just began to make out the shape of the head.... and then filled in the rest of the body shape.... it's an utterly magnificent painting and I'm sure this photo won;t do it justice.