Space X

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Space X

Postby Toby » 07 Feb 2018, 11:55

I'm not interested in "Space" that much - it's unlikely I'll go there, it's not very nice and frankly it's fucking miles away.

BUT

The Space X launch WAS impressive. Getting those two booster rockets to come back like that? That's pretty amazing.

The private exploration of space starts. Interesting times.

Jimbo

Re: Space X

Postby Jimbo » 07 Feb 2018, 12:54

Toby wrote: The private exploration of space starts. Interesting times.

Am I reading it correctly that there was supposed to be a returning third stage?

But very very impressive nonetheless. I applauded my YouTube seeing the two rockets land as smoothly as North Korean rockets take off. Take that Rocket Man!
Gadfly

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 07 Feb 2018, 14:17

Jimbo wrote:

Am I reading it correctly that there was supposed to be a returning third stage?

But very very impressive nonetheless. I applauded my YouTube seeing the two rockets land as smoothly as North Korean rockets take off. Take that Rocket Man!

What? You believe that that actually happened? It's all CGI, man. I can't believe you fell for it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Feb 2018, 14:47

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

What? You believe that that actually happened? It's all CGI, man. I can't believe you fell for it.

Lower space flights I believe. Manned flights beyond the Van Allen Belt are questionable. Even Musk today at a press conference worried how his unmanned flights will fare when they hit the VAB.
Gadfly

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 07 Feb 2018, 14:55

Wow... that is rather groovy.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 07 Feb 2018, 16:28

Jimbo wrote:Am I reading it correctly that there was supposed to be a returning third stage?

There was a third booster that was supposed to land on a platform in the ocean but that failed to happen.

Otherwise quite impressive.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Feb 2018, 16:40

They were supposed to send up a satellite earlier in the year, but the rocket failed and the $4 kajillion satellite was put out of commission.

People are all over Musk in the Bay Area for marketing his new invention - flamethrowers.
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Feb 2018, 19:17

Impressive but it’s still at heart the same technology as Apollo and even the V2!

Check out Reaction Engines...

Www.reactionengines.com

For something more original.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Feb 2018, 20:05

Let's imagine Elon Musk, but without hair. What comes to mind?

Image ?

Image ?

Mark my words, this guy is going to turn out to be a supervillain right out of a comic book. This whole rocket launch thing is just a ruse. In a week he's going to be threatening to blow up the moon, and who's going to save us then? Trump? Jeff Bezos? Hah!

Don't say I didn't warn ya, suckers!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 08 Feb 2018, 20:20

This amateur footage of the side boosters coming in to land is pretty cool.

WARNING: contains loud sonic booms.

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 08 Feb 2018, 20:26

Toby wrote:I'm not interested in "Space" that much - it's unlikely I'll go there, it's not very nice and frankly it's fucking miles away.

I think "Space" could be awesome but the reality of it at the moment is that astronauts are nerdy types with boring hair who have to wear unwieldy outfits and scrabble around in tiny spaces eating stuff that looks like an airline canteen has done a joint venture with a raw food store.

Once we start getting proper massive spaceships that go whizz and where you have a proper bedroom and a bar, and colonies on other planets with bizarre nature and gargantuan chrome architecture, and unlimited GALACTIC CREDITS to spend on travel and so on, then I'll go to space. Until then meh.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Feb 2018, 21:53

PENK wrote:
Toby wrote:I'm not interested in "Space" that much - it's unlikely I'll go there, it's not very nice and frankly it's fucking miles away.

I think "Space" could be awesome but the reality of it at the moment is that astronauts are nerdy types with boring hair who have to wear unwieldy outfits and scrabble around in tiny spaces eating stuff that looks like an airline canteen has done a joint venture with a raw food store.

A good friends of mine's little brother, Rex Walheim, is an astronaut and fits that description perfectly. I remember him as a short little guy who tried following his brother to school each day, but my friend was taller and couldn't keep up with him.

He's an Air Force officer, engineer with a degree from UC Berkeley, and has flown three missions for NASA. All the kids were smart.

OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Feb 2018, 10:01

Last time I was in the US I went to a talk by astronaut Jerry Linenger. It was very interesting. He was one of the americans who spent time on board the Russian Mir space station

Linenger and his Russian crewmates Vasili Tsibliyev and Aleksandr Lazutkin faced several difficulties during the mission. These included the most severe fire aboard an orbiting spacecraft (caused by a backup oxygen-generating device), failures of various on board systems, a near collision with a Progress resupply cargo ship during a long-distance manual docking system test and a total loss of station electrical power. The power failure also caused a loss of attitude control, which led to an uncontrolled "tumble" through space.[2][7][8][16]

He said that something failed on Mir on a daily basis and that they had to improvise to deal with it. The fire involved a systen with oxidiser in it, so you couldn't close off the compartment and pump out the air to kill the fire because it generated its own oxygen. They had to wait for it to burn out and hope it didn't burn through the hull! Very few of the smoke hoods worked apparently and the smoke was toxic. Access to the Soyuz capsule was also blocked during the fire and there were six crew on board and only three can fit in a Soyuz... All pretty alarming.

I'm not surprised Buzz gets pissy when people tell him he didnlt get to the moon :lol:
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro