the meaning of words

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: the meaning of words

Postby Toby » 26 Jan 2018, 13:15

Well you did veer the argument towards whether the internet was harmful or useful for this sort of thing.

In some ways it's too early to say. I don't own a dictionary because I can look up word meanings on my phone in seconds. Bulletin boards like this actually keep the "older ways" alive because we are inclined to brevity on social media. But neither of those things are indicators of whether they are bad or not I feel.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 26 Jan 2018, 13:18

Toby wrote:Well, that depends on how you determine what "successful" language is like. If someone can recognise and understand m tlking lk ths n a mssg brd bc I cant b rsed to spll prprly then what does mean? If you can understand what I'm saying, then surely there is no need for those letters. They are superficial and can be removed.

Very true but outside of meaning, there will be the resistance to change from older people, and aesthetically, it looks cach.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Super-Jank
hounds people off the board

Postby Super-Jank » 26 Jan 2018, 13:22

Oh I don’t know
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes

Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English

K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Jan 2018, 13:27

Toby wrote:
OCT wrote:Is the internet responsible for educating us or stupefying us?

More and more the latter I feel.

I would hazard a guess that in a real life context, if you said something grammatically incorrect, someone would probably correct you, in a friendly manner, if they knew. But in a social media/online context, there is no-one to correct you for fear of coming across as a pedantic shit.

I can assure you that that deters no-one.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

nev harp
cultural defective

Postby nev harp » 26 Jan 2018, 13:30

Noone?
Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Jan 2018, 13:36

I didn't want it to say him :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Jan 2018, 13:42

I've noticed that the word "decimate" has changed over the last several years. It used to mean a damage or loss of 10% indicated by the prefix deci. It first was used with the practice of the Romans killing every tenth prisoner to punish and keep the rest in line. Now it has come to mean a much larger percentage, even most.

Super-Jank
hounds people off the board

Postby Super-Jank » 26 Jan 2018, 13:46

free rein / free reign
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes

Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English

K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 26 Jan 2018, 13:52

God yes
Nikki Gradual wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Jan 2018, 14:32

Toby wrote:
OCT wrote:...if you said something grammatically incorrect, someone would probably correct you, in a friendly manner, if they knew. But in a social media/online context, there is no-one to correct you for fear of coming across as a pedantic shit.

hippopotamus wrote:...Later that evening I read it in a book and realised I completely knew that word, but I too had never thought about it's spelling or pronunciation because its a word you read and should never say allowed.

Should that not be "aloud" Katherine?

:lol: :oops:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

K

Postby K » 26 Jan 2018, 16:56

Toby wrote:Well you did veer the argument towards whether the internet was harmful or useful for this sort of thing.

In some ways it's too early to say. I don't own a dictionary because I can look up word meanings on my phone in seconds. Bulletin boards like this actually keep the "older ways" alive because we are inclined to brevity on social media. But neither of those things are indicators of whether they are bad or not I feel.

I do own a dictionary. On my phone. I use it because I trust the authority of Chamber's. The first hit on a Google search for a word is the most popular/linked, but not necessarily the best.
Chamber's is the dictionary of choice for crosswords still, so I'm a bit of a traditionalist with that. (But still left wing!)
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 26 Jan 2018, 18:56

Random thought: It may also be the preponderance of information sources available to us that is creating this need to use some of these words. It used to be (or so it seems) that you basically had books and articles, plus whatever education you had, and so you tended to use words you knew pretty well. Now you have thousands of people, all with different viewpoints and vocabularies -- and all trying to outdo one another and be noticed, I'll add -- and you're sort of trying to pick up on all of it. Thirty years ago, who was talking about eponymous and coruscating? Now people want to use the words because they've seen them, even if they don't know the exact meaning.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jan 2018, 19:06

Very Stable Baron wrote:I'm mostly at peace with the evolving nature of language. So why do these things annoy me? I think it has to do with being around to witness the changes and seeing that meanings are changing not over a lengthy, gradual process, but over one generation that, out of apparent mass ignorance, decides a word means something else. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it.

It literally drives me crazy.

;)
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jan 2018, 19:07

Quaco wrote:Random thought: It may also be the preponderance of information sources available to us that is creating this need to use some of these words. It used to be (or so it seems) that you basically had books and articles, plus whatever education you had, and so you tended to use words you knew pretty well. Now you have thousands of people, all with different viewpoints and vocabularies -- and all trying to outdo one another and be noticed, I'll add -- and you're sort of trying to pick up on all of it. Thirty years ago, who was talking about eponymous and coruscating? Now people want to use the words because they've seen them, even if they don't know the exact meaning.

I think that's exactly. I watch lots of cable news and I see pundits misuse words all the time describing stuff.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jan 2018, 19:10

I had a great English teacher, junior (3rd) year of high school who really stressed vocabulary and the meaning of words. Every week, we'd be tested on ten new vocabulary words. It was great.

My son and daughter are good writers and have good vocabularies. The difference is that my son will actually look up the meaning of words and use them correctly whereas my daughter will sometimes misuse words like Quaco illustrated - she's heard them in an incorrect context and thinks those are the correct meanings.

My son has actually corrected me a few times in my misuse.

He now knows the meaning of "Fuck off," very well.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 26 Jan 2018, 19:37

sloopjohnc wrote:Quaco illustrated

My favorite magazine!

K

Postby K » 26 Jan 2018, 19:38

Quaco wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Quaco illustrated

My favorite magazine!

Especially the swimsuit issue.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 26 Jan 2018, 19:40

:D

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 26 Jan 2018, 20:32

sloopjohnc wrote:
He now knows the meaning of "Fuck off," very well.

Maybe he can teach you the meaning.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 26 Jan 2018, 21:03

My bugbear is where some political figure embroiled in some personal crisis barks at the interviewer: "I absolutely refute these accusations!" . No, 'refute' means that you are able to prove the accusations are wrong, that someone else was wearing the gimp mask that night at Miss Whiplash's parlour. What you are doing here is merely denying that it was you.

I know language develops but I think this is a distinction worth keeping.