Literary food

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
trans-chigley express

Re: Literary food

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Jan 2018, 00:32

I was always intrigued by the biscuits and gravy they usually seem to eat in The Grapes of Wrath. As an kid from England such a thing sounded disgusting then later I leaned that biscuits are different in the US.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 11 Jan 2018, 00:38

trans-chigley express wrote:I was always intrigued by the biscuits and gravy they usually seem to eat in The Grapes of Wrath. As an kid from England such a thing sounded disgusting then later I leaned that biscuits are different in the US.

So is the gravy one eats with biscuits!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Jan 2018, 00:39

bobzilla77 wrote:I remember reading about Turkish Delight in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and thinking it must be fantastic.

Finally at age 30 I got some at the London airport and it's fucking fruit jellies coated in chocolate? Edmund sold out his family for that shit? I no longer believe in Narnia.

Interesting read on why C. S. Lewis chose Turkish Delight:
https://daily.jstor.org/turkish-delight/

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 11 Jan 2018, 00:41

Very Stable Baron wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I was always intrigued by the biscuits and gravy they usually seem to eat in The Grapes of Wrath. As an kid from England such a thing sounded disgusting then later I leaned that biscuits are different in the US.

So is the gravy one eats with biscuits!

Yeah I guessed as much. I'd like to have exactly what they ate. The descriptions of cooking pork in that book always made me hungry.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Jan 2018, 07:31

bobzilla77 wrote:I remember reading about Turkish Delight in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and thinking it must be fantastic.

Finally at age 30 I got some at the London airport and it's fucking fruit jellies coated in chocolate? Edmund sold out his family for that shit? I no longer believe in Narnia.

The best Turkish Delight used to come from Ireland packaged in wooden boxes and tissue paper: my Aunt sent emergency food parcels of it along with other delicacies like Kimberley biscuits and soda bread flour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadji_Bey
Darkness_Fish wrote: I picked Soft Machine, on the basis I couldn't be bothered listening to the others.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 11 Jan 2018, 13:26

Hemingway’s descriptions of hanging out in Spain (or wherever he was) and having wine hanging out in the river has ... stayed with me.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 11 Jan 2018, 13:32

The Roasted Wild Boar at the end of Asterix's adventures. Of course, those Gauls knew fuck all about side dishes didn't they?

There's also a fondue section in Asterix in Switzerland that must have been a send-up of the seventies.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 11 Jan 2018, 14:36

I'm curious about the hard tack beloved of seamen both literary and actual.
Here's the oldest preserved ship's biscuit in the world, in the Danish Maritime Museum.

From 1852, and I bet it tastes just as good now as it did then :? .

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Jan 2018, 15:54

Patrick O'Brian's lobscouse, burgoo and spotted dog - whatever they are.
Gadfly