I love Japan!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Re: I love Japan!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 04 Feb 2018, 15:52

Oh, and I have plenty of places for Jollies here... but we may be off to Europe sooner rather than later....
the Eagles suck.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Feb 2018, 16:04

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:That's unusual in all honesty. If you're out walking in Britain it is considered polite to say "good afternoon" or whatever.

I'd agree with that in the UK you exchange pleasantries with everyone you pass when you're out walking. Keeping stony-faced would be the exception rather than the rule.

Everywhere except Bristol.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 04 Feb 2018, 17:01

Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:That's unusual in all honesty. If you're out walking in Britain it is considered polite to say "good afternoon" or whatever.

I'd agree with that in the UK you exchange pleasantries with everyone you pass when you're out walking. Keeping stony-faced would be the exception rather than the rule.

Maybe it’s a city thing.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Feb 2018, 18:04

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Maybe it’s a city thing.

In my (quite wide) experience of cities and towns in the UK (well, southern Britain) Bristolians are uniquely unfriendly, likely to return a greeting with a snarl and/or contemptuous stare, so much so that on the odd occasions Chip and I encountered something like that behaviour in other parts of the world, we would nod sagely, and mutter 'Bristolians' in order to feel better.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Feb 2018, 05:12

Is being half an issue? Yes. Is being half a problem? Not so much.
Gadfly

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 05 Feb 2018, 05:41

Jimbo wrote:

Is being half an issue? Yes. Is being half a problem? Not so much.

Depends on your situation and wants... if you are half and want to be accepted as Japanese, it's a full on issue. If you are a little kid and think that you are Japanese, folks here will make sure to tell you that you're not, a hundred times a day if necessary.
the Eagles suck.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Feb 2018, 06:13

Matty Red Sox wrote: If you are a little kid and think that you are Japanese, folks here will make sure to tell you that you're not, a hundred times a day if necessary.

Kids, right? But the same goes for fat kids, ugly kids, kids with glasses, religious kids, short kids, weaklings, kids with special needs.

Not to minimize the problem because it is a problem but with a little perspective it ain't so bad. I guess I want to clear up the misconception, as your posts infer, that Japan is "racist." Yeah, there may be some teasing and even some dumb questions. Even I upon seeing a half Japanese on a station platform do a bit of a double take. But there are some advantages young half-Japanese get such as modeling opportunities, a bit of extra attention from the opposite sex, an extra language. Mature half Japanese do as well or even better than anyone here. Like the guy in the video said, when your kid gets older she'll embrace her uniqueness and get on with her life.
Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Feb 2018, 14:06

Just back from a local jolly up with three good friends. We met at a place not five minutes from my house called Tori-Q. Tori is the word for chicken and this place specializes in big chunks of fried chicken. But it is also a bar, a small shithole of a joint where I and three friends, drank beer, sake and shocho and ate until we could eat no more. We had the chicken, of course, as well as tuna roll, potato salad, fried squid and french fries. Not healthy for the heart or our waistlines but mmm mmm good. And the chat was awesome, and got more awesome the drunker we got. We reminisced about David Bowie, John saying how he'd seen the Spider From Mars show at the Fillmore East. And then, at the end, after all the food and drink the bill was as cheap as one could hope. I love Japan.
Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Feb 2018, 12:22

Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 14 Mar 2018, 08:56

From a fellow expat whom I'd love to run into someday but he lives in another part of the country. He does make a good point I think.

Gadfly