I love Japan!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: I love Japan!

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2018, 11:11

fange wrote: the western side of Tokyo

Where? I'm in Musashi Koganei, four stops past Kichijyoji.
Gadfly

fange

Postby fange » 07 Jan 2018, 11:23

Kichijoji was such a great area, loved going there. I lived a bit further north though; first place was a boarding house for a year to the south of Nerima Takanodai station, and then for the rest of the time I lived in Niiza Shi about 10 mins by bicycle north of Hibarigaoka station on the Seibu Ikebukuro line. Not too far though - were you there between 1997 and 2002, Jimbo? I might have walked past you somewhere one day!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Jan 2018, 11:32

I love Japan too, been there about 10 times and was in Kyushu last week and had a great time as I always do there.

My only gripe is the lack of places to eat in small towns after 5pm. We had a couple of nights last week when we had to resort to getting buns from a 24 hour convenience store and eating in the hotel room as there wasn’t a single restaurant or cafe open anywhere.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2018, 12:06

fange wrote:Kichijoji was such a great area, loved going there. I lived a bit further north though; first place was a boarding house for a year to the south of Nerima Takanodai station, and then for the rest of the time I lived in Niiza Shi about 10 mins by bicycle north of Hibarigaoka station on the Seibu Ikebukuro line. Not too far though - were you there between 1997 and 2002, Jimbo? I might have walked past you somewhere one day!

I've been here since 1989. I am only very slightly familiar with the places you mentioned having passed by there on the train. But Kichijyoji is still a great place to hang out. I tell visitors to stay there and not downtown because everything you'd want in a Tokyo visit is right there but in a smaller, more walkable area. In fact, I tell people to consider forgoing traveling all over the country because everything Japanese is in Tokyo or nearby.

And the lack of restaurants in small towns is a problem but the convenience stores are usually amazing well stocked with food and drinks. There are videos on YouTube all about how cool the Japanese convenience stores are. I lived four nights a week deep in the Japanese country side and for the most part there really is nothing open after six or so, except the konbini and then there are the vending machines where you can buy a can of warm corn soup.

I haven't done it in a number of years but along with the trains, busses, planes there is a fantastic ferry system that takes you to the islands where the restaurants all close early but you can camp near a free, public hot spring or stay in a shitty little hotel. You can catch the ferry about 7 pm, drink beer and party then sleep on the giant tatami floor and then wake up in the morning at a beautiful little island. And they're cheap!
Gadfly

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 07 Jan 2018, 14:00

I love Japan too! I have lived in either Tokyo or a satellite city for most of my adult life, and I now have a Japanese wife and a son who is a good Japanese-New Zealand mix. I feel like there has never been any major road blocks put in my way as a foreigner living here, and that is to Japan's huge credit.

The food in Tokyo is amazing, with every base covered (except for Mexican, for some reason). All the major musical acts stop off for a gig or two in Tokyo, and often at very small venues. In terms of vacation spots, Japan has it all, from the mountainous/snow-swept top end of the island chain down to the tropical bottom end (my family and I recently visited Ishigaki Island, which is a small jump over from Taipei!). And their onsen hot spring resorts are some of the best experiences you will ever have.
Don't fight the hypothetical

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 07 Jan 2018, 16:07

Shaun wrote:I feel like there has never been any major road blocks put in my way as a foreigner living here, and that is to Japan's huge credit.

That's interesting to see, as Matty Red Sox often talks about how racist Japan is and how he and his daughter (who is, I think half Japanese) face various ridiculous roadblocks, hassles, and, I guess, discrimination (he might word it differently, but that's my impression).
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2018, 16:26

Very Stable Baron wrote:
Shaun wrote:I feel like there has never been any major road blocks put in my way as a foreigner living here, and that is to Japan's huge credit.

That's interesting to see, as Matty Red Sox often talks about how racist Japan is and how he and his daughter (who is, I think half Japanese) face various ridiculous roadblocks, hassles, and, I guess, discrimination (he might word it differently, but that's my impression).

None here either. Working Japanese wife, "half" son who is gainfully employed and I, now enrolled in the Japanese social security system. And in so many ways Japanese bureaucrats have bent over backwards to help me. Never has a cop hassled me. Never was I asked to see ID - except to get into the movies for my "over 50" discount. I swear, sometimes I am gobsmacked at how kind official Japan has been to me.

When I went to "Hello Work!" the japanese unemployment office, there were English assistants who sat beside the actual official and they were so patient as they explained the rules and read and translated any jobs they offered.
Gadfly

quix

Postby quix » 07 Jan 2018, 17:34

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:I think all the preciseness, the lack of overtly emotional gestures, the cleanliness and the servility would get me down after a while. But I'd love to visit.

I felt the same way after living in Germany for six months in 1984. I couldn’t wait to get back to London and the smell of urine in telephone boxes, chaos at the first sign of a flake of snow and random train delays :lol:

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 07 Jan 2018, 20:13

Jimbo wrote:[And the lack of restaurants in small towns is a problem but the convenience stores are usually amazing well stocked with food and drinks. There are videos on YouTube all about how cool the Japanese convenience stores are. I!

I love a well stocked Lawson
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jan 2018, 04:36

Jimbo wrote:[And the lack of restaurants in small towns is a problem but the convenience stores are usually amazing well stocked with food and drinks. There are videos on YouTube all about how cool the Japanese convenience stores are. I!

I dont go on holiday to eat at conveience stores but I agree they are well stocked.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jan 2018, 04:42

Very Stable Baron wrote:

Never experienced anything myself on my many visits so was interested to read Matty's experiences and see the photos he's posted on FB of him on trains with empty seats all around him and people prefering to stand rather than sit next to him. I planned on making observations of this myself next time I used the train but have always hired a car on my last few visits so haven't had the opportunity.

Which brings me to another thing I love about Japan: driving there is a joy. There are no asshole drivers, no road rage, everyone sticks to the rules and the traffic flows nicely even in major cities (mainly because drivers DO stick to the rules) and it's just a very relaxed place to enjoy the drive without the stress you get in most places.

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 08 Jan 2018, 12:35

Copehead wrote:I love a well stocked Lawson

Natural Lawsons are another level up!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Jan 2018, 12:37

trans-chigley express wrote:
Never experienced anything myself on my many visits so was interested to read Matty's experiences and see the photos he's posted on FB of him on trains with empty seats all around him and people prefering to stand rather than sit next to him. I planned on making observations of this myself next time I used the train but have always hired a car on my last few visits so haven't had the opportunity.

I remember the same, that some would rather stand rather than sit next to me on a crowded train. Maybe it's the Olympics or the huge influx of Chinese tourists buying up loads of goods, but something has come over the town, or maybe a memo went out that read: "Don't fear foreigners," because people could not be more polite than the Japanese. Yes, there is a difference between polite and friendly but if you want friendly go to a small bar and you will have more new friends than you can stand. And it is because you are a foreigner. Consider it xeno-philia rather than xenophobia.
Gadfly

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Jan 2018, 12:55

It is interesting to see how in the 90s when they were fretting over how the aged will overtake in numbers the young and there were suggestions of allowing in more foreigners, especially, as I recall, more nurses from the Philippines to care for the aged, there was some hesitation. But recently I see more foreigners, asians, working in fast food places than I had ever seen before. So far there has been no scandal or outrage, which is another good thing about Japan, that they seem to have broken the xenophobia stereotype.
Gadfly

Shaun

Postby Shaun » 08 Jan 2018, 13:00

Indians working in convenience stores! How do they remember all the fiddly things they have to do in another language!?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Jan 2018, 16:33

What it’s like to live in a well-governed country

Japan
Not only does the island nation rank highest in Asia by the World Bank for overall government effectiveness, rule of law and political stability, it also received the highest marks in Asia from the Social Progress Index for its access to basic knowledge, water and sanitation, and access to nutrition and medical care.

“The effects of government policies are often quite evident in cleanliness, efficiency and functioning of tax-paid parts of society,” said Adam Goulston, a cross-cultural resume writer who lives in Fukuoka but is originally from the US. “Part of this can be attributed to the natural tendency of the Japanese to value social and public things and keep up appearances. However, a big part also owes to effective and in some cases quite liberal policies, especially in comparison to my home country, the US.”

Health insurance is universal, though it can be expensive since it’s income-based and taken out of wages – but residents can go to any doctor any time and costs are capped. Though the aging population and population decline is putting pressure on the solvency of the programme, said Goulston, overall, the system works. Japan also has some of the world's best cancer doctors.

The education system is another of the country’s strengths; elementary and secondary school is mandatory, and Japanese schools rank well globally. Though the schools are highly regimented and systematic – which can lead to over-standardisation, according to Goulston – they have prioritised nutrition as a key part of education, with school lunches prepared with locally grown ingredients and paired with lessons on healthy eating and food history.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018010 ... ed-country
Gadfly

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Postby Matty Red Sox » 30 Jan 2018, 02:22

The train groping incidents are outrageous. I can't believe the amount of bullshit I am reading on this thread.

[url]https://japantoday.com/category/crime/social-media-users-boast-of-plans-to-grope-schoolgirls-on-day-of-japan’s-most-important-test[/url]

"This year, January 13 and 14 were stressful days for many Japanese teens. That’s because those were this year’s exam dates for the Center Test, a rigorous examination that many Japanese colleges require a high score on as part of their admission criteria.

Adding another layer of anxiety is the fact that examinees don’t take the Center Test on their respective high school campuses. Instead, they have to travel to a regional test venue on the consecutive mornings in time for a 9:30 a.m. start.

And as if all that wasn’t enough to worry about, Japanese public broadcaster NHK reports that when the time for the Center Test rolls around, would-be predators boast online about their plans to grope female high school students on the train on the morning of the exam.

In a recent segment, NHK program News Watch 9 presented a collection of social media posts about the writers’ planned chikan (train groping) activities, which included:

“Tomorrow’s the Center Test, and the forecast for chikan is great.”

“The number-one chance for chikan is on the days of the Center Test.”

“Since the Center Test takes place tomorrow, the conditions are perfect for chikan. All right, gonna hop on the train tomorrow and have a little nice communication with the girls.”

“You can feel up girls headed to the Center Test all you want and get off scot-free!!!”

“The Center Test is tomorrow? It’s a chikan carnival!”

“I just realized something amazing. If you grope a girl on the day of the Center Test, you won’t get caught, right?”

The reason for all this deplorable confidence? The Center Test is offered only once a year, and all examinees, nationwide, are required to take it at the same time. Show up late, and you run the risk of being told “Sorry, you can’t sit for the test. Come on time next year.” While not an insurmountable black mark, a gap year on your academic resume carries a stigma in Japan that can make job-hunting more difficult, and so arriving late to the Center Test site can have lasting repercussions for a person’s education and career.

Reporting a chikan incident, though, is a time-consuming process. The victim has to wait for the train to reach the next station, then somehow summon the authorities, who aren’t likely to be standing right there on the platform when she gets off. Then she has to give a statement, and that’s assuming there isn’t an altercation when she and/or any good Samaritans try to drag the chikan off the train so that he can face justice.

All of that takes more time than any buffer teens are likely to build into their schedule when heading to the Center Test venue, and so the logic of the boastful chikan is that when forced to choose between letting their assailant get away with his transgression or being late to the test, many girls will choose the former.

It should be noted that while the Center Test administrators are sticklers for punctuality, this does seem like a scenario where an exception would be made. It’s also worth pointing out that there haven’t been any publicized incidences of a girl who arrived late because she was groped on the train being told that she would be unable to take the test and would have to wait until next year to try again.

In addition, police reports make no mention of a spike in chikan activity on the days of the Center Test. That, however, may simply mean that chikans’ schemes are working exactly as planned, with teens who’ve been groped not taking the time to immediately inform police or Center Test administrators, and then, once the exam is over, being resigned to it now being too late to do anything about it and thus remaining silent.

Considering that how harried and strapped for time teens are on the days of the test is common knowledge in Japan, perhaps the best course of action would be for the Center Test’s governing body to make clear that while showing up on time is generally a must, being a victim of a crime, and reporting it to the authorities, is a valid excuse."

And the authorities couldn't be bothered to send extra police coverage on these days on the trains. Ask pretty much any Japanese woman whether she's been groped or otherwise mistreated on a train, and you'll get an unpleasant answer.
Last edited by Matty Red Sox on 30 Jan 2018, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 30 Jan 2018, 02:23

the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 30 Jan 2018, 02:28

http://www.businessinsider.com/japan-demographic-time-bomb-what-daily-life-is-like-2018-1 And happy countries do not have the highest suicide rates coupled with the lowest birthrates in the first world. This is an incredibly depressed country and considering that the current estimate that with in the next decade or so, 40% of households here will consist of a single person, it doesn't seem like they are getting better...
the Eagles suck.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 30 Jan 2018, 02:39

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/12/30/national/media-national/debate-grows-plight-foreign-staff-convenience-stores-japan/#.Wm_YyiN7Gu4
And the convenience store workers... sure, there are more foreigners working at them. In the city of Hiroshima, it's mainly Chinese and Koreans, and the drunk ass racist businessmen say all sorts of rude things to them. The conditions that they work under are deplorable. I spoke with a Chinese woman that I know from one of the stores when she was off duty. She shocked me because she spoke to me in really good English, I had greeted her in Chinese at the store previously, but she only spoke Japanese back. She told me that they are forbidden from speaking anything but Japanese at the store - especially if the other worker is also foreign, they will be fired and deported if they do. Apparently the stores have spies who listen for this, and many are here to get an education, but they would still be responsible for the school fees if they are deported. But convenience store workers have a much easier time than factory workers.
the Eagles suck.