Your guitar pedals

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Pansy Puff

Re: Your guitar pedals

Postby Pansy Puff » 31 Dec 2017, 12:18

yomptepi wrote:I had a fuzz face pedal before I became a punk. I think they are worth quite a lot now. God knows why. Is was absolutely dismal.I remember the singer of the band throwing out of the door after I used it once, and stamping on it. That was the last pedal I used.

But you're happy to use tone controls on your guitar and amp? Different pick ups?
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 31 Dec 2017, 12:22

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
yomptepi wrote:I had a fuzz face pedal before I became a punk. I think they are worth quite a lot now. God knows why. Is was absolutely dismal.I remember the singer of the band throwing out of the door after I used it once, and stamping on it. That was the last pedal I used.

But you're happy to use tone controls on your guitar and amp? Different pick ups?

It is a purely personal choice. I use different guitars for different sounds. Each has its own voice, and I am happy with that. I find pedals remove the personality from a guitar. What is the point of having a decent instrument if you drown it out by using a pedal? I am lucky enough to have decent guitars, so I am not going to gag them, am i?
You don't like me...do you?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 31 Dec 2017, 12:24

yomptepi wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:

It is a purely personal choice. I use different guitars for different sounds. Each has its own voice, and I am happy with that. I find pedals remove the personality from a guitar. What is the point of having a decent instrument if you drown it out by using a pedal? I am lucky enough to have decent guitars, so I am not going to gag them, am i?

I grew up a bit of a metaller, worshipping Eddie VH so pedals seemed normal to me. Although I now have two electric guitars, my model was EVH who only ever seemed to use one guitar (I know he didn't).

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 31 Dec 2017, 12:29

He used every pedal known to man. That is fine. No different to playing a synthesiser in stead of Fender Rhodes or a Hammond B3. I like how guitars sound. I like my Telecaster to sound like a Telecaster, and my Guild Starfire to sound like a mid 60's hollow body. It is all just personal taste really.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 31 Dec 2017, 14:30

Deebank wrote:
Still Baron wrote:
Deebank wrote:Anyway, a good distortion is essential. Even if you have the best valve amp in the world - an AC15 perhaps, or the Orange TA30 I used a lot - you still need to crank it up a gear sometimes.

This is, of course, false.
Crank up a fender tube amplifier loud enough and there is no better sound. Maybe an echoplex or memory man is helpful for stoners, but that’s about it.

It’s not false, it depends on the music you play. If I was Angus Young, a cranked vintage Marshall stack would be fine for all my needs. However, anyone requiring a range of tones and textures might find inspiration in any number of gadgets.

Well done you for having the big bucks to spend on a Fender valve amp. I’m afraid I could never afford that sort of outlay. A decent OD/distortion for me is a must.

You were talking about good distortion and “the best valve amplifier in the world.” The best valve amplifier in the world, and even any standard mid-century Fender, needs nothing else for beautiful distortion. It’s like you want to join Donald Trump in putting ketchup on an over cooked steak. And like him, you are demonstrably wrong. Unless you are actually talking about using the best valve amplifier in the world in a Chapterhouse cover band or something. But nobody said that.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 31 Dec 2017, 16:52

To get great distortion from traditional valve amps you have to push them hard, and loud!
Too loud for my ears.
I’ve had some fair amps in my time (AC30, Marshall half stack, some trannies, a hybrid Valvestate) but the most versatile is my Helix with a FRFR wedge.
I can get pretty much any sound, in a package that now simulates the responsiveness of a real amp.
A big part of my move to this setup was its convenience and the ability to get ‘those sounds’ at a reasonable stage volume.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2017, 18:26

Power goes out at Yomp's next jam session. All he needs to do now is pedal.
Gadfly

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 31 Dec 2017, 18:29

Fonz wrote:To get great distortion from traditional valve amps you have to push them hard, and loud!
Too loud for my ears.

That's true, of course. A friend had a Twin Reverb that had been hot rodded with bigger speakers or some such and it was absolutely deafening. But beautiful. The wife has a modern AC15 and it has a master volume thing so you can get it to distort without going deaf. Cheating, but it works.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 31 Dec 2017, 19:01

Still Baron wrote:
Fonz wrote:To get great distortion from traditional valve amps you have to push them hard, and loud!
Too loud for my ears.

That's true, of course. A friend had a Twin Reverb that had been hot rodded with bigger speakers or some such and it was absolutely deafening. But beautiful. The wife has a modern AC15 and it has a master volume thing so you can get it to distort without going deaf. Cheating, but it works.

I have one of those. Excellent amps.

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 31 Dec 2017, 21:03

Yeah, I got one too (on Yomp’s recommendation) and it’s wild. I haven’t figured out half of what it can do yet.

Shame it’s a bit small and plasticky though.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Dec 2017, 21:42

I have this. Does everything I want it to do.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 31 Dec 2017, 21:54

Still Baron wrote:
Too loud for my ears.

Goddamn you Baron, with your hard-and-fast rules! Master volumes are 'cheating'?? No sir. I can somewhat abide by your "no beans in chili" rule (I might not follow it, or even believe in its validity), but guitar amplifiers have had master volumes for half a friggin' century at least. I challenge you to tell my early-70's master volume-equipped Super Reverb that it's a 'cheat' to its beautiful silver face.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 31 Dec 2017, 22:27

That’s better than using some silly pedal!

The Beatles
hounds people off the board

Postby The Beatles » 31 Dec 2017, 22:39

There are some things that you can only do with a pedal, of course. Wah-wah for one.
the Fred Dinenage of bees! wrote:BCB is boring bald men stroking each other's cocks while recommending Alan Parsons Project bootlegs

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 31 Dec 2017, 22:49

Alma Cogent wrote:There are some things that you can only do with a pedal, of course. Wah-wah for one.

you say that like it is a good thing...

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 01 Jan 2018, 00:23

Nels Cline, gear

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Jan 2018, 00:27

yomptepi wrote:
Alma Cogent wrote:There are some things that you can only do with a pedal, of course. Wah-wah for one.

you say that like it is a good thing...

Gadfly

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 01 Jan 2018, 11:23

take5_d_shorterer wrote:Nels Cline, gear

:D
It has made me dig out a Wilco record to listen too. Also interesting to discuss the subtle differences he sees in his guitars and pedals. Are they real?
He seems to have the Yomp approach of different guitars for different sounds but then mixed it with pedals for every occasion.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Jan 2018, 11:51

take5_d_shorterer wrote:Nels Cline, gear

Wow, that 12 string sounds gorgeous.... through a compressor natch.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Jan 2018, 16:51

Look at this...

It's the coolest thing ever, who wouldn't want one? It looks like a little miniature Moog synthesiser!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro