Christmas foods rating

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare
hounds people off the board

Christmas foods rating

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 24 Dec 2017, 12:31

A lot of people don't like mince pies, according to my Facebook 'news feed'. I've heard the same thing about turkey, too.

Myself, I'd eat kilos of both of them if it meant not having to put a spoon of Christmas pud in my gob.

Rate these:

mince pies
turkey
stuffing
Christmas pud
Brussels sprouts
roast parsnips
Christmas cake
sherry trifle
goose
duck
pumpkin pie
panettone
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Christmas foods rating

Postby Toby » 24 Dec 2017, 13:40

Duck
Goose
Mince Pies
Panettone
Xmas Pudding

Everything else can jog on

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Dec 2017, 15:56

[quote="XXXXXXXXX"]A lot of people don't like mince pies, according to my Facebook 'news feed'. I've heard the same thing about turkey, too.

Myself, I'd eat kilos of both of them if it meant not having to put a spoon of Christmas pud in my gob.

Rate these:

mince pies - OK, in fact I enjoy them as a seasonal treat
turkey - even before I was a vegetarian, I thought it was a bit rubbish. Haven't eaten it since I wrested control of Xmas dinner some 30 years ago
stuffing - got to be well made, but no longer eat it
Christmas pud - meh. sugar and booze are two things I don't like: leave them out, and it's OK as puddings go
Brussels sprouts - cooked perfectly, like I do them, they're not bad once a year
roast parsnips - No. The only good thing that I can say about a parsnip is that it's not (quite) a fucking beetroot
Christmas cake - like it a lot if well made, with thin icing. Always liked marzipan
sherry trifle - Ms thang makes a delighful trifle, vastly improved by having no filthy Iberian wine in it
goose - bird of choice for Chip and I. Pretty good, especially with a gooseberry sauce, although very wasteful in that it's no fun to eat cold or reheated. the fat made divine roast potatoes
duck - enjoyed cooking and eating it before I embraced vegetarianism, but was never part of our Xmas meals
pumpkin pie - vile, nasty thing, unheard of when I was younger. Yet further proof that the Septics have got no taste. Yuck, seriously
panettone - I had a good one once from an Italian deli in Clevedon

oh, and you forgot
Yule Log - fuck. right. off
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 24 Dec 2017, 18:44

Have what you want and enjoy it
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Dec 2017, 20:52

mince pies - Quite nice, though the mass-produced stuff is practically just sugar and cheap pastry these days. Get some spice and a bit of alcohol in there.
turkey - It's ok, but I'm not much of a roast-dinner fan, aside from roast spuds and parsnips. I prefer using the left-over turkey in a curry.
stuffing - Yeah, it's alright.
Christmas pud - Fookin' love it. My mum still makes it for us, in a non-stodgy, lots of brandy way.
Brussels sprouts - Evil. The Cliff Richard of food; smells bad and shouldn't be forced onto children.
roast parsnips - Gorgeous. I dunno why parsnips aren't more common than chips, they're similar, but nicer.
Christmas cake - Meh, not so bothered.
sherry trifle - I don't even count trifle as a proper desert, the constituent parts just don't go together. Someone dropped a swiss roll into some jelly, and couldn't be arsed fishing it out. It's the essence of disappointment.
goose - Yeah, same as turkey, really. Not having it this year though, it's normally the boxing day dinner at my mum and dad's, and they forgot to order one.
duck - Crispy with pancakes and hoisin sauce, mmm. With plum sauce and rosti potatoes, mmmm. For roast-dinner? Nah, I'll give it a miss.
pumpkin pie - The fuck? People eat pumpkins?
panettone - Fruit cake with some eyeliner and high-heels.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 24 Dec 2017, 21:09

mince pies - Fucking love em
turkey - Turkey’s fine but it’s not exciting to me and I sure as shit don’t want it
at Christmas.
stuffing - I love it, but it doesn’t have much to do with Christmas for me.
Christmas pud - I’ve only had it a few times but I love it. It seems like a bit of a pain in the ass but I think I’ll try to make it next time we’re in the States for Xmas.
Brussels sprouts - I’ll eat em anytime, but they have no historical Christmas association with them. But we seem to always have them in the uk for Xmas and it’s on our UK Xmas menu for Boxing Day.
roast parsnips - the balls. Fucking great
Christmas cake - not really my bag but I’ll try to make one sometime soon because the wife likes them.
sherry trifle - never had it
goose - Ace. Now THAT’S Christmas dinner. There was a famous audiotape of my grandfather telling a story about obtaining the Christmas goose, but my aunt lost it. He’s been dead since 83. I’d kill for a copy.
duck - I’m all for duck, but it doesn’t scream Christmas to me. An improvement on turkey, to be sure.
pumpkin pie - I’ll eat any fucking pie but it’s one of the lesser pies and again, I don’t reallh want it at Christmas.
panettone - I’m happy to have it but we haven’t bought one in a few years now.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Dec 2017, 21:22

Rather Anglocentric list, and I'm both a pescatarian and my family traditions don't always match general ones, but I'll give it a go.

Must be part of the celebration

Christmas cake (assuming this is what we refer to as fruitcake? In any case, cake has always been the traditional dessert for me, and I think it's delicious - don't get what everyone's problem with it is.

Optional, but I do like it

panettone (love it, but only eat it occasionally, not necessarily on Christmas)
mince pies (another that many folks don't like, but I like a lot)
stuffing (Veggie stuffing for me, thanks! I've had some good ones)
Christmas pud (Assuming this is the same thing once again, I know a couple - he's Canadian and she's American - that have one every year - cook the penny into it and everything. Never done it myself, but I like that tradition)

Never thought of as Christmas-y, don't particularly care about one way or the other

Brussels sprouts
roast parsnips

Not sure I've ever had, Christmas or elsewise

sherry trifle

Used to eat on Christmas, don't any more other than veggie approximations

turkey

Never eaten on Christmas, not about to start now

goose
duck

A Christmas tradition I'm well aware of, but have never chosen to take part in, as it's made with mostly dog snot as near as I can tell

pumpkin pie
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Dec 2017, 21:33

Only the Things I like, although I've never had pumpkin pie

Roast parsnips - love 'em.

(for a turkey or a large chicken)
Stuffing, (under the skin and over the breast meat) but only my Mum's recipe - there's sausage meat and chopped apricots, all sorts in it as well as the egg, breadcrumbs and onion...orange and lemon zest and juice, coriander, salt & pepper, thyme..

Goose, if there's apple sauce.

Duck, if it's not on the dry side and with apple sauce.

Panettone - I'd far prefer this as pud instead of Christmas pud.

Brussels sprouts, but not too many.... :oops:
Last edited by Samoan on 24 Dec 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Darkness_Fish wrote: I picked Soft Machine, on the basis I couldn't be bothered listening to the others.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 24 Dec 2017, 21:42

Rate these: Okay

mince pies - Not a huge fan. I always want to like them more than I do. My dad was huge fan.

turkey - I like turkey just fine, but associate it more with Thanksgiving than Christmas. I'l eat it if it's there.

stuffing - Hell yes.

Christmas pud - Don't know that I've ever had a proper one, with all the brandy and whatnot.

Brussels sprouts - Eaten under duress only. This seemingly new fad of cooking them with big hunks of pork belly is definitely an improvement, but you still have to put up with the sprouts themselves.

roast parsnips - Love 'em.

Christmas cake - Our neighbour, who used to be a professional baker, brings us one every year. They are pretty damn good even though I've never been too keen on candied fruit.

sherry trifle - More of a 'new years' thing for me. I'll eat it.

goose - Never been a tradition in my family. I recall doing a goose one year when I was younger, but can't remember what it tasted like.

duck - Duck confit, Chinese BBQ duck - all that sort of stuff: yes

pumpkin pie - Again, more of a Thanksgiving thing, but I love it unreservedly, especially with whipped cream or ice cream.

panettone - Dry yellow bread with raisins in it. Pass.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 24 Dec 2017, 22:04

No mention of prawns and pavlovas. Crikey you're all in the northern hemisphere innit!
king of the divan

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 24 Dec 2017, 22:49

mentalist (slight return) wrote:No mention of prawns and pavlovas. Crikey you're all in the northern hemisphere innit!

Looking out the window this morning we might as well be as well!

We haven't quite got around prawns at lunch yet but I doubt it's too far away.

Turkeys getting a bad rap here, it makes it feel like Christmas when the turkeys come on the scene.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Dec 2017, 23:06

I never understand the hatred for brussell sprouts, I really like them. They don't even have to be done in a fancy way for me to enjoy them, I'm quite happy with them steamed.

I would take duck (which is my favourite meat anyway) and goose over turkey any day of the week. I'll be doing the duck tomorrow.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 24 Dec 2017, 23:18

Brussels sprouts taste like tinfoil.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Dec 2017, 00:05

Maybe this thread title should be changed to Christmas food HATING
Amirite boys and girls!!!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Dec 2017, 00:08

mince pies - Love them. I don’t know anyone else in Hong Kong that likes them but I can hoover them up

turkey - love it. It’s typically only available in HK at Christmas so it’s a once a year thing and that makes it something a little different

stuffing - Oh yes.

Christmas pud - Love it but having it at Christmas time only is enough otherwise I think I’d get fed up with it very quickly

Brussels sprouts - I like them and have never understood why they get such a bad rap

roast parsnips - Not bad occasionally

Christmas cake- hell yes, so long as the icing is not too thick

sherry trifle - Yes yes yes

goose - I like it but rarely have it. The fat makes great roast potatoes

duck - preferably Chinese style.. Peking duck or bbq

pumpkin pie - Rarely ever had it. Not too fussed although I do like pumpkin

panettone - Really not over fussed by this stuff. It tastes dry and unsatisfying

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 25 Dec 2017, 00:27

The Red Heifer wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:No mention of prawns and pavlovas. Crikey you're all in the northern hemisphere innit!

Looking out the window this morning we might as well be as well!

We haven't quite got around prawns at lunch yet but I doubt it's too far away.

Turkeys getting a bad rap here, it makes it feel like Christmas when the turkeys come on the scene.

UPDATE: there were prawns at the gift exchanging so mum's stepped into the modern age.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 25 Dec 2017, 17:36

mince pies
Only if I’m really hungry.

turkey

stuffing
Yes! We’re having turkey tonight and my Keith Richards-lookalike aunt-in-law is doing the stuffing and it’s fucking great.

Christmas pud

Brussels sprouts
I love them – one of my favourite vegetables

roast parsnips
They’re OK, nothing to get worked up about

Christmas cake
Not a fan.

sherry trifle
My mum used to make a great trifle, sans sherry. With a crumbled-up Swiss roll and a tin of fruit salad.

goose
Not a Christmas thing for me but I love it.

duck
Not a Christmas thing for me but I love it. When I was a kid we used to have capon for Christmas, which I remember liking. On this day of plenty we should spare a thought for the British royal family, who eat boiled carp from a polluted canal.

pumpkin pie
Never tried it.

panettone
Never tried it. Is that a British thing, these days?

Where’s the bread sauce?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Dec 2017, 02:41

How ham didn't make this list befuddles me?
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Dec 2017, 03:20

sloopjohnc wrote:How ham didn't make this list befuddles me?

toomanyhatz wrote:Rather Anglocentric list
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 27 Dec 2017, 04:27

sloopjohnc wrote:How ham didn't make this list befuddles me?

Pig is for Easter bro.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.