Scientists

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Scientists

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 11:25

yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Mike clever people change their mind if the evidence changes, it is idiots and Tories who don't do that.

Sorry about the tautology

Of course. But how many times do we get apologies from scientists when they are wrong and it costs us our health and our cars , like with the diesel claims?

All we ever get is bollocks about evidence and facts being irrefutable. They ignore the fact that the facts were irrefutable before too.

Cunts.

Is this the same kind of science that calculated the NHS would be £350 million per week better off under Brexit? That kind of irrefutable?
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 11:32

I know you prefer memes to information Pete, and I understand that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. But the " Science " clearly made the case that Diesel was safer than petrol, because it produced less carbon monoxide. Of course the brilliant, and all knowing ( and never wrong) scientists had forgotten to take into account the other even more lethal pollutants in diesel fuel. And now millions of people are paying for that decision with their health.

The brexit decision was not made by scientists. It was made by politicians. Now I understand that you think politicians are scientists. After all, they both wear ties. But there is a difference. However, both are often wrong, and neither will ever admit it.
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 11:47

yomptepi wrote:
The brexit decision was not made by scientists. It was made by politicians. Now I understand that you think politicians are scientists. After all, they both wear ties. But there is a difference. However, both are often wrong, and neither will ever admit it.

Isn't mathematics a branch of science anymore then?
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 11:50

You think the leave campaign had mathematicians ?

Really?

Bless.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 11:51

You'll be telling me that Dianne Abbott is a scientist next...

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 11:51

Well someone arrived at the number.

Are you suggesting that they just 'made it up'?

Lordy, the shame.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 11:55

Diamond Dog wrote:Well someone arrived at the number.

Are you suggesting that they just 'made it up'?

Lordy, the shame.

Surely even you have come to that conclusion. Of course they made it up. And once the vote was won, it was consigned the " never mind" bin. Probably the same one scientists use when they get things wrong and never admit to it. It must be a big bin.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 12:03

I think your view of scientists is somewhat tarnished because of Copey...

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 12:05

I think the problem is a general refusal to admit to a mistake. Setting themselves up as the guardians of facts is absurd. Of course new information changes things, but does not mean they weren't wrong in the first place...

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 12:13

yomptepi wrote:I know you prefer memes to information Pete, and I understand that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. But the " Science " clearly made the case that Diesel was safer than petrol, because it produced less carbon monoxide. Of course the brilliant, and all knowing ( and never wrong) scientists had forgotten to take into account the other even more lethal pollutants in diesel fuel. And now millions of people are paying for that decision with their health.

You obviously know so little about how science works I would just stop posting in the thread if I were you.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 12:17

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
yomptepi wrote:I know you prefer memes to information Pete, and I understand that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. But the " Science " clearly made the case that Diesel was safer than petrol, because it produced less carbon monoxide. Of course the brilliant, and all knowing ( and never wrong) scientists had forgotten to take into account the other even more lethal pollutants in diesel fuel. And now millions of people are paying for that decision with their health.

You obviously know so little about how science works I would just stop posting in the thread if I were you.

Do explain Einstein.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 12:45

yomptepi wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:

Do explain Einstein.

Science is not an absolute and no scientists think it is so. Science is the best approximation to explaining the world at any point in time. The aim of science is to improve, even destroy, previous explanations. Science is constantly changing our understanding of the world. You obviously don't think about the millions of moments in your day that have been considerably improved by science. You just want it all "now".

Science created the atomic bomb: politicians used it.
Science will very soon create almost external batteries: politicians will surpress it.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 27 Dec 2017, 13:54

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:

Do explain Einstein.

Science is not an absolute and no scientists think it is so. Science is the best approximation to explaining the world at any point in time. The aim of science is to improve, even destroy, previous explanations. Science is constantly changing our understanding of the world. You obviously don't think about the millions of moments in your day that have been considerably improved by science. You just want it all "now".

Science will very soon create almost external batteries: politicians will surpress it.

But are they immune to making mistakes?

Or just admitting to it when they do?

As far as the diesel issue is concerned, I am sure that most scientist knew that diesel was far more poisonous that petrol. So where was the backlash when Blair decided that diesel was the future? Have they no voice? It all seems very odd to me.

And I do have a great appreciation of science , and of course i understand how it works. What I do not understand is why is why , when a theory is wrong, and has caused untold damage, it is never the fault of the scientist, but of those who listened to them. Seems like a good deal.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Dec 2017, 14:18

How typical that you blame ‘science’ for what was very clearly the corruption of laizes faires capitalism.

You can’t blame science if the corrupt capitalists running VW put profit ahead of public health.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 14:20

yomptepi wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Do explain Einstein.

But are they immune to making mistakes?

Or just admitting to it when they do?

As far as the diesel issue is concerned, I am sure that most scientist knew that diesel was far more poisonous that petrol. So where was the backlash when Blair decided that diesel was the future? Have they no voice? It all seems very odd to me.

And I do have a great appreciation of science , and of course i understand how it works. What I do not understand is why is why , when a theory is wrong, and has caused untold damage, it is never the fault of the scientist, but of those who listened to them. Seems like a good deal.

This is utter nonsense.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 14:22

Deebank wrote:

How typical that you blame ‘science’ for what was very clearly the corruption of laizes faires capitalism.

You can’t blame science if the corrupt capitalists running VW put profit ahead of public health.

Be careful.. it will be the fault of the lazy, pampered civil service soon for not operating an efficient enough environmental 'police force' soon....

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 14:26

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Science created the atomic bomb: politicians used it.

To be fair that's not strictly true as the scientists absolutely knew what they were recruited to create and were more than aware of its potential destructive force. And whilst Oppenheimer and others opposed the H Bomb, scientists like Teller were ravenously gung ho about its development.

So, yes, the scientists created it - but very much to spec for the politicians, and the next crucial development was absolutely with the knowledge of what it entailed.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Dec 2017, 14:27

Diamond Dog wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Be careful.. it will be the fault of the lazy, pampered civil service soon for not operating an efficient enough environmental 'police force' soon....

He also neglects to mention that scientists published the research that brought the issue to light, presumably having been tipped off by whistle blowing scientists.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 27 Dec 2017, 15:16

Diamond Dog wrote:

To be fair that's not strictly true as the scientists absolutely knew what they were recruited to create and were more than aware of its potential destructive force. And whilst Oppenheimer and others opposed the H Bomb, scientists like Teller were ravenously gung ho about its development.

So, yes, the scientists created it - but very much to spec for the politicians, and the next crucial development was absolutely with the knowledge of what it entailed.

Fair enough. I think I was trying to suggest that scientists "do science", even when the consequences are complex.
If I recall correctly Einstein write a letter pressing for the development of the H bomb.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Dec 2017, 15:43

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Fair enough. I think I was trying to suggest that scientists "do science", even when the consequences are complex.
If I recall correctly Einstein write a letter pressing for the development of the H bomb.

I don;t think so. By 1950 he was fervently opposed to the bomb as a deterrent and by 1955 he was one of the co-signatories to a paper calling for the abolition of all nuclear weapons - both Atomic & Hydrogen. He was one of the first to theorise about the atom bomb but, by his own admission, he had little or nothing to do with the nuts and bolts of the Manhattan Project.

Teller was the main proponent of the Hydrogen bomb, and happily took Oppenheimer down in its aftermath (he was the one whose evidence led to Oppenheimer having his national security clearance revoked).