Scientists

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Scientists

Postby The Modernist » 22 Dec 2017, 22:40

They piss me off sometimes because I feel they have the wrong priorities. Take alcohol. It has wonderful properties and potential. It makes us all feel better. Yet we have to put up with the short term consequences - hangovers - and long term consequences - liver failure and the like. And it's accepted because the message is that it's some kind of society ill, even though the evidence of human history is that people have always enjoyed it and will always do so. Imagine if they really put their minds to it - with the same rigour and expense that they've applied to (failing to) find a cure for cancer - how they could develop an improved version of alcohol that lessened the hangovers. Likewise, I think there's some amazing recreational drugs they could develop. Imagine a 45 minute version of LSD. We'd all love that!

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Re: Scientists

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 22 Dec 2017, 22:48

:lol:

Fucking scientists. Fucking useless bunch.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Dec 2017, 22:56

Harvey K-Tel wrote::lol:

Fucking scientists. Fucking useless bunch.

I knew I'd get the support of the workshy 'photographers'. :lol:

I have an even better thread lined up which will solve all of the world's problems.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Dec 2017, 23:07

I've heard alcoholism helps with hangovers.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 22 Dec 2017, 23:08

“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 22 Dec 2017, 23:20

The promotion of Scientists to their current role as New Gods is a shame. I liked it when we didn’t have to fucking know everything about everything and have an opinion on it.

Cold rational facts - fuck that.

Stunningly.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Dec 2017, 23:40

Darryl Strawberry wrote:

C'mon chief you can do better than that.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Dec 2017, 23:41

kewl klive wrote:The promotion of Scientists to their current role as New Gods is a shame. I liked it when we didn’t have to fucking know everything about everything and have an opinion on it.

Stunningly.

They've always overrated the enlightenment Nev.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 22 Dec 2017, 23:46

People who like science should be forced, forced, to wear microscopes round their necks, cross-like. This way we conscientious objectors could more easily identify any potential bored-by-facts scenario.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 22 Dec 2017, 23:47

The Modernist wrote:
kewl klive wrote:The promotion of Scientists to their current role as New Gods is a shame. I liked it when we didn’t have to fucking know everything about everything and have an opinion on it.

Stunningly.

They've always overrated the enlightenment Nev.

Is that what Gash wrote? Shows how little he knows about science then. Scientists understand that they'll never know everything, they just know the best approximation to explain the world at this moment in time.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 22 Dec 2017, 23:55

They could also look at their tiny penises with it, eh girls?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Dec 2017, 00:19

kewl klive wrote:People who like science should be forced, forced, to wear microscopes round their necks, cross-like. This way we conscientious objectors could more easily identify any potential bored-by-facts scenario.

:lol: :lol:
Like.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Dec 2017, 00:21

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Is that what Gash wrote? Shows how little he knows about science then. Scientists understand that they'll never know everything, they just know the best approximation to explain the world at this moment in time.

blah blah..I'm not denying their usefulness or intelligence, I'm asking them to apply it in a beneficial way.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Dec 2017, 00:36

I think my main problem with them is they're essentially conformists and lack imagination. They congregate where the paycheck is. Whereas they should be covertly meeting in darkened rooms inventing all sorts of mad, maverick stuff.
Then they could just issue a statement saying "we've just invented rays that transport you, hovercraft style, along the road. You no longer need to walk. Get used to it fuckers".

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 23 Dec 2017, 00:38

The Modernist wrote:I think my main problem with them is they're essentially conformists and lack imagination. They congregate where the paycheck is. Whereas they should be covertly meeting in darkened rooms inventing all sorts of mad, maverick stuff.
Then they could just issue a statement saying "we've just invented rays that transport you, hovercraft style, along the road. You no longer need to walk. Get used to it fuckers".

:lol:

You're on fine form tonight, G, I must say!
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Dec 2017, 00:42

It's the wine J. It brings out my latent personality. I'm a boring fucker during the day.

ORORORO
hounds people off the board

Postby ORORORO » 23 Dec 2017, 00:43

You should write! Write that book!

I'm thinking about locking myself away for a month next spring, somewhere, and writing. I really am.
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Okay...this feels a bit unsavory to say but...let’s start off with the uncomfortable semi-truth that sometimes white voices and black voices sound different.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 23 Dec 2017, 00:54

The Modernist wrote:I think my main problem with them is they're essentially conformists and lack imagination. They congregate where the paycheck is. Whereas they should be covertly meeting in darkened rooms inventing all sorts of mad, maverick stuff.

Yeah, if this was how they did it it’d be fine - people could be filled with wonder (well actually the bond between atoms (or whatevs) is to me quite wonderful actually) with their wondrous, Willy Wonka-like presents to humanity. Instead we get to hear and see exactly how it works, and please, feel free to fact me, loudly and smugly. Where’s the mystery? Why the need for understanding? They’re experts, let ‘em expert, I’m fine dreaming thanks.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Dec 2017, 01:04

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:You should write! Write that book!

I'm thinking about locking myself away for a month next spring, somewhere, and writing. I really am.

You're right J. But my problem is I've always had very little confidence and what moments of inspiration I have, and I have had them, tend to be artificailly induced. But I'm at the point, for various reasons, where I'm looking to really do it (one can't survive from selling bits of glass after all).
er..sorry if that makes no sense.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Dec 2017, 01:26

kewl klive wrote:

Yeah, if this was how they did it it’d be fine - people could be filled with wonder (well actually the bond between atoms (or whatevs) is to me quite wonderful actually) with their wondrous, Willy Wonka-like presents to humanity. Instead we get to hear and see exactly how it works, and please, feel free to fact me, loudly and smugly. Where’s the mystery? Why the need for understanding? They’re experts, let ‘em expert, I’m fine dreaming thanks.

I think they go wrong with their obsession with peer review and all that kind of thing, it's tedious isn't it? They want to work with humanity, but that's not what someone like Tristen Tzara would have done. I'd like to see them take a leaf out his book.
I never did a Science degree, but if I had done, I'd have done something useful with it. I Wouldn't have gone into nuclear research or any of that bollocks. Instead I'd have got together with some people and created this cloud that changed colour all the time, brilliant colours of purple, crimson and yellow. But it would rain all the time. And I'd put it over Cologne. If they complained my team of scientists could just say " We're scientists. Buy an umbrella or move to Munich".

That's what I'm talking about. That's what I'd like to see.

t