Scientists

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: Scientists

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 31 Dec 2017, 11:29

Thanks for the more recent and excellent longreads. I'll get to them later in the day.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

nev gash
cultural defective

Postby nev gash » Yesterday, 13:45

The Seven Types of Atheist

We spoke to philosopher John Gray about the many different forms of atheist that exist today, and why the majority of them suck.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/ywxj ... of-atheist
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » Yesterday, 14:24

nev gash wrote:The Seven Types of Atheist

We spoke to philosopher John Gray about the many different forms of atheist that exist today, and why the majority of them suck.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/ywxj ... of-atheist

Anything that starts off by claiming that someone like Richard Dawkins has "fanatical acolytes" is going to be a pile of horse shit.

I'm surprised you liked it enough to share it.

Grey is just another guy shilling for a dollar; he has found a profitable niche as the atheist who tells the religious it is Ok to believe in fairies and that Richard Dawkins is a nasty man who isn't as clever as he thinks he is.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » Today, 00:00

Copehead wrote:Anything that starts off by claiming that someone like Richard Dawkins has "fanatical acolytes"

He does, though.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » Today, 00:41

echolalia wrote:
Copehead wrote:Anything that starts off by claiming that someone like Richard Dawkins has "fanatical acolytes"

He does, though.

No he doesn't

Jesus Christ, Jehova and Muhammad have fanatical acolytes who kill people in the name of their faith.

Richard Dawkins has twitter followers who can get a bit cross or sarcastic on the internet.

Until the first follower of Richard Dawkins kills in his name I think we can maintain he doesn't have fanatical acolytes.

Let's save those sorts of labels for people who deserve them
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » Today, 01:01

Thought this might help:

fa·nat·i·cal
fəˈnadək(ə)l/Submit
adjective
filled with excessive and single-minded zeal.
"fanatical revolutionaries"
synonyms: zealous, extremist, extreme, militant, dogmatic, radical, diehard; More
obsessively concerned with something.
"he was fanatical about security at night"
synonyms: enthusiastic, eager, keen, overkeen, fervent, ardent, passionate; More

ac·o·lyte
ˈakəˌlīt/Submit
noun
a person assisting the celebrant in a religious service or procession.
an assistant or follower.
synonyms: assistant, helper, attendant, aide, minion, underling, lackey, henchman; More

So, nothing in there about killing or violence being a necessary component to earn the definition.

If you want to make a case of degree, go ahead - although I'm not interested in flogging that particular dead horse anymore - but the definitions are pretty clear.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

fange

Postby fange » Today, 01:15

Good lord - no wonder G hates them!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange

Postby fange » Today, 01:21

Copehead wrote:
echolalia wrote:

He does, though.

No he doesn't

Jesus Christ, Jehova and Muhammad have fanatical acolytes who kill people in the name of their faith.

Richard Dawkins has twitter followers who can get a bit cross or sarcastic on the internet.

Until the first follower of Richard Dawkins kills in his name I think we can maintain he doesn't have fanatical acolytes.

Let's save those sorts of labels for people who deserve them

Oh shut up, Copey. I don't care about any of the people being mentioned or their views actually, but don't start twisting the English language to what YOU think words HAVE to mean. hatzy's definitions above clearly show that, so pull your head in.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!