Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Dec 2017, 10:32

The Modernist wrote:Frankie Boyle is a cunt. End of.
There's nothing edgy about mocking Down Syndrome, it's just cuntish behaviour.

Hmm, I've just been trying to find any of the material about this, but can't find any. The strange thing is, Frankie Boyle, is normally quite politically correct, despite his love of causing offense. It would be strange for him to have a go at people with Down's syndrome, rather than the way society deals with people with Down's syndrome.

Having said that, some of his stand-up (though I've never seen him in the flesh) is pretty poor, his TV shows have been far better.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Dec 2017, 10:33

Stewart Lee I find good in small doses, but he can be a bit of a tedious cunt who recycles the same mechanisms, rather than the same material. Loves standing there, repeating an aimless phrase until it becomes something to say to get a cheap laugh.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 21 Dec 2017, 10:36

Darkness_Fish wrote:

Hmm, I've just been trying to find any of the material about this, but can't find any. The strange thing is, Frankie Boyle, is normally quite politically correct, despite his love of causing offense. It would be strange for him to have a go at people with Down's syndrome, rather than the way society deals with people with Down's syndrome.

Having said that, some of his stand-up (though I've never seen him in the flesh) is pretty poor, his TV shows have been far better.

It was a comment about Katie Price's son.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/ ... atie-price
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Super-Jank
hounds people off the board

Postby Super-Jank » 21 Dec 2017, 10:39

Darkness_Fish wrote:Stewart Lee I find good in small doses, but he can be a bit of a tedious cunt who recycles the same mechanisms, rather than the same material. Loves standing there, repeating an aimless phrase until it becomes something to say to get a cheap laugh.

I find it interesting that he can riff on something for ages and it actually becomes funny. Don't you find? He has a special talent for that.

And I love it when he does that high-pitched mocking voice and gurns into the camera. That always gets me.

You have to like the comedians in order to appreciate their humour - at least I find that's true. Lee is just a little bit like friends I have, it helps, they have an easier time getting you on their side. Boyle reminds me of people I've worked with who I wouldn't even want to piss beside.
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes

Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English

K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Dec 2017, 10:41

Moleskin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

That was actually a different one, which was in pretty poor taste.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 10:43

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:
There are some traditional stand-ups - going way back, really - who I still enjoy a great deal. Jackie Mason, for example. But that isn't what the thread's about.

That classic Jewish New York humour always makes me laugh. I think prime Billy Connolly (circa late 70s/early 80s say) is still the best stand up I've seen.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 10:47

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Moleskin wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Hmm, I've just been trying to find any of the material about this, but can't find any. The strange thing is, Frankie Boyle, is normally quite politically correct, despite his love of causing offense. It would be strange for him to have a go at people with Down's syndrome, rather than the way society deals with people with Down's syndrome.

That was actually a different one, which was in pretty poor taste.

"Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey, well eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him." Boyle then made a obscene joke about her son.

Was the obscene joke about Harvey trying to shag Jordan or summat?

The line quoted seems pretty mild to me. Some people will always find problems in humour like this but I can't say it bothers me. Maybe I'm just a cunt.

I don't like Boyle in general but I get more annoyed by his 6th form left wing politics than his humour
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.

The Modernist wrote:I wanted to buy a pork pie the other day. Not there.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 10:55

Moleskin wrote:. It would be strange for him to have a go at people with Down's syndrome, rather than the way society deals with people with Down's syndrome.

It wouldn't be so strange, as JC says he's a nasty piece of work. It speaks volumes that he wouldn't get into any kind of dialogue with the Down Syndrome mother, typical bully and coward.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8611275.stm

He gets away with his nastiness because he usually targets it at people who he knows his lefty audience don't like, the Katie Price joke being a prime example of this.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 11:06

Well it's transgressive humour. It's meant to offend, it's mean to be shocking, that's the point.

This kind of shit isn't for everybody but some people, like myself, do actually laugh at this sorta thing although I don't find Boyle particularly funny but he does have the occasional moment. The line about giving Harvey away did make me smirk.

I find Sadowitz a lot funnier but his persona is different, crucially so. With Boyle it's not just the punching down thing it's also his general persona on stage. I just find him a bit smug, a bit stiff.
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 21 Dec 2017, 11:10

I find Stewart Lee's political positioning as the darling of the smug, metropolitan liberal elite a bit annoying, but he is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of his technique, its transparency and his delivery.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 11:15

Goat Boy wrote:Well it's transgressive humour. It's meant to offend, it's mean to be shocking, that's the point.

This kind of shit isn't for everybody but some people, like myself, do actually laugh at this sorta thing although I don't find Boyle particularly funny but he does have the occasional moment. The line about giving Harvey away did make me smirk.

I find Sadowitz a lot funnier but his persona is different, crucially so. With Boyle it's not just the punching down thing it's also his general persona on stage. I just find him a bit smug, a bit stiff.

I have a pretty dark sense of humour myself, I have to watch what I say sometimes. With Boyle though, he crosses the line a bit too often, there's something very calculated about him. That's different I think to the edgy, transgressive, taboo breaking comedy lineage ( Bruce, Hicks etc.) that he'd like to be a part of.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 21 Dec 2017, 11:17

Boyle's dull column in the Guardian tells you everything you need to know about him.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 11:22

Toby wrote:I find Stewart Lee's political positioning as the darling of the smug, metropolitan liberal elite a bit annoying, but he is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of his technique, its transparency and his delivery.

He's very hit and miss. He sometimes mistakes the technique as being funny in itself, whereas it still needs to be allied to strong material. I've seen some excruciatingly bad stuff from him - there was one recently about Jeremy Clarkson eating a poppadom that went on for ever. By the end you were just embarrassed for him. But when he's good, he's very good.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 11:31

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Well it's transgressive humour. It's meant to offend, it's mean to be shocking, that's the point.

I have a pretty dark sense of humour myself, I have to watch what I say sometimes. With Boyle though, he crosses the line a bit too often, there's something very calculated about him. That's different I think to the edgy, transgressive, taboo breaking comedy lineage ( Bruce, Hicks etc.) that he'd like to be a part of.

I get that. He's just saying cruel stuff for yucks. There's nothing ideological about this side of his humour. I think that's ok myself but not everybody sees it like that and people of course have lines. The lady with the down syndrome kid has her lines and he crossed them. It's understandable why she'd have problems but then you pays your money. She clearly didn't have enough problems when he was saying cruel shit about other people to not buy a ticket you know.

Usually with comedy it comes down to just one simple thing: did it make me laugh. If it does you can overlook misgivings a lot of the time.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Dec 2017, 11:34

The Modernist wrote: I think prime Billy Connolly (circa late 70s/early 80s say) is still the best stand up I've seen.

Without question.
Bruce Springsteen wrote: May the living let us in/Before the dead tear us apart"

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 11:34

Toby wrote:Boyle's dull column in the Guardian tells you everything you need to know about him.

Terrible stuff.

Schoolboy politics

Nick

Postby Nick » 21 Dec 2017, 11:38

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:I've become quite fond of David Mitchell through watching him on Would I Lie To You? He's a funny man and a good egg.

I really enjoyed Upstart Crow, along with Detectorists it's the sitcom I've liked the most in a few years.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Super-Jank
hounds people off the board

Postby Super-Jank » 21 Dec 2017, 11:40

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:I find Stewart Lee's political positioning as the darling of the smug, metropolitan liberal elite a bit annoying, but he is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of his technique, its transparency and his delivery.

He's very hit and miss. He sometimes mistakes the technique as being funny in itself, whereas it still needs to be allied to strong material. I've seen some excruciatingly bad stuff from him - there was one recently about Jeremy Clarkson eating a poppadom that went on for ever.

:lol:

see - he’s already got me
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes

Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English

K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Dec 2017, 11:40

The Modernist wrote:
Moleskin wrote:. It would be strange for him to have a go at people with Down's syndrome, rather than the way society deals with people with Down's syndrome.

It wouldn't be so strange, as JC says he's a nasty piece of work. It speaks volumes that he wouldn't get into any kind of dialogue with the Down Syndrome mother, typical bully and coward.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8611275.stm

He gets away with his nastiness because he usually targets it at people who he knows his lefty audience don't like, the Katie Price joke being a prime example of this.

I don't want to come across as the number one Frankie Boyle apologist or anything, because if he did mock those with Down's syndrome, then fuck him, basically. But I've not heard the material, neither have you, and I hate just having the reports of someone who took offense being then taken as matter of fact that the material was offensive in its nature or intent. I'd hazard it's difficult to get into a meaningful dialogue about the joke on stage, but he did seem to actually consider it by asking what their issue was.

Interesting that he still stands by it. I've just been searching the internet for any actual facts on all this stuff, and Boyle's attack on Mark Watson for writing about this joke is interesting both for its cuntishness, and the fact he stands by it (can't find Watson's article anymore):
"Hi Mark. Just saw this. Amused to see moral grandstanding from a notorious sellout. You are commenting on a joke you didn't see, and don't quote, so presumably you don't even know what it was? Amazing. I'd hate for you to pass through life with no self awareness, so let me point something out. You built up a certain indie credibility over the years with your stand-up. You then sold that credibility to sell cider. Why don't you leave the discussions of jokes to people who have heard them and stick to pushing booze on teenagers? In a country of alcoholics. Yours, Frankie x"

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 11:43

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote: I think prime Billy Connolly (circa late 70s/early 80s say) is still the best stand up I've seen.

Without question.

It's sad seeing his health deteriorate. Especially because he's one of those people I grew up with so he's always been there, you know? It reminds you that you're getting older too of course.

Few comedians have ever made me laugh like him.