Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 23 Dec 2017, 09:45

never/ever wrote:Yes but is it funny?

We went to see him a couple of years ago and he had us in tears of laughter for over half an hour. I thought Nat might have a heart attack.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Dec 2017, 09:47

Goody!
I find dissection of art at times difficult to make sense of.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 23 Dec 2017, 17:04

Jacques Tati -

I can be sad about our times (modernity? postmodernity? whatever?)

His Play-Time never ceases to amaze and amuse.

It is a movie sui generis. And Tati had to make it - even if he eventually went bankrupt (IIRC) because it exceeded all projected costs.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Dec 2017, 17:26

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Dec 2017, 17:33

Still a moment of cinematic genius.

Tati is part of Xmas for me. I used to watch them on Xmas morning at 10am on BBC2.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Dec 2017, 18:08

I don't see much stand up these days like I used to. San Francisco in the early '80s was a wealth of stand up riches.

And I'm not crazy about the HBO specials nor do they feature it on late night talk shows as much as they used to.

Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock are more favorites.

A lot of comedians are doing other kinds of comedy, sitcom and documentary type of stuff.

My son was bingeing Billy on the Street the other day and I think he does good improv comedy with his show.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Dec 2017, 15:17

Saw Simon Amstell a few weeks ago and he's probably the closest I'd consider to being my favourite comedian, or at least someone with a lot of talent. He seemed to disappear for the longest time, and he's collected alot of experiences that he is now turning into comedy, but just generally I've always found him very naturally funny and sharp.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 06 Jan 2018, 02:04

James Acaster
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

www.chrischopping.virb.com

http://thatidiotchrischopping.blogspot.com

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jan 2018, 02:17

I hardly pay attention to the world of stand up comedy these days. Steven Wright is probably the only one that I would still care about today, of those that I used to enjoy in late-night talk show performances.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 06 Jan 2018, 03:16

Carl's Son wrote:James Acaster

Hi Chris, how's your stand up going?
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 06 Jan 2018, 16:55

Last year I took my first hour show Premature Emasculation, to the Edinburgh festival for a month. I was very proud of it and I know a handful of people who really seemed to love it but went largely unnoticed by the industry. Now I have to start the desperate process of cobbling together a second hour.

I've made my TV debut as a sort of novelty act stand up in pigeon Welsh which was fun and presented some vox pops for regional television ahead of the general election.

Things are going the right direction at a glacial pace. If things carry on at this trajectory I'll be a household name doing all the panel shows by 2089.
I can just about handle you driving like a pissed up crackhead and treating women like beanbags but I'm gonna say this once and once only Gene, stay out of Camberwick Green!

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 06 Jan 2018, 17:01

Carl's Son wrote:Last year I took my first hour show Premature Emasculation, to the Edinburgh festival for a month. I was very proud of it and I know a handful of people who really seemed to love it but went largely unnoticed by the industry. Now I have to start the desperate process of cobbling together a second hour.

I've made my TV debut as a sort of novelty act stand up in pigeon Welsh which was fun and presented some vox pops for regional television ahead of the general election.

Things are going the right direction at a glacial pace. If things carry on at this trajectory I'll be a household name doing all the panel shows by 2089.

I did mean to come and see your show and say hello in Edinburgh but it didn’t work out. Maybe this year.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 06 Jan 2018, 17:03

“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Jan 2018, 17:49

Carl's Son wrote:
I've made my TV debut as a sort of novelty act stand up in pigeon Welsh which was fun.

Chwarae teg Chris. Da iawn!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 06 Jan 2018, 21:34

Me too, as of about 3 days ago.

I started trying to find everything on the internet I could find of his. I find him really different from other comedians. I haven't QUITE figured his schtick out, as to why it's so good. But it is so good.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 06 Jan 2018, 21:36

sloopjohnc wrote:I
My son was bingeing Billy on the Street the other day and I think he does good improv comedy with his show.

Likewise, went through a phase of watching all of these.
I think it's brilliant. Stupid, but brilliant. Like asking people to name 20 famous white people, and no one can do it.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 07 Jan 2018, 00:09

Carl's Son wrote:Last year I took my first hour show Premature Emasculation, to the Edinburgh festival for a month. I was very proud of it and I know a handful of people who really seemed to love it but went largely unnoticed by the industry. Now I have to start the desperate process of cobbling together a second hour.

I think having the perseverance to keep going is the main thing and admirable. Being able to take an hour long show to the Fringe is a massive achievement, getting an hour of fresh material together in a year will be a bigger one. I suppose it is like Bands, a life time to make their first album and 12 months to make their second.

KBO, it will come, and when it does I will be able to say "I knew him when he was a name on a message board I used to frequent" and people will look at me with awe.
And if you tolerate this then your children will be next

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Jan 2018, 01:42

Today, Jerry Seinfeld on the New Yorker Radio Hour talked about the construction of a joke and comedy. The interviewer asked him how long does it take to come up with an hour set and his answer was, "I dunno, ask God how long it took him to come up with an oak tree."

Here's link.

https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-n ... d-jon-hamm

Carl's Son
Grade A Shitpipe

Postby Carl's Son » 08 Jan 2018, 13:53

hippopotamus wrote:

Me too, as of about 3 days ago.

I started trying to find everything on the internet I could find of his. I find him really different from other comedians. I haven't QUITE figured his schtick out, as to why it's so good. But it is so good.

Do you know there is an hour of him on Netflix under the Live at The BBC banner?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 08 Jan 2018, 15:19

Don't know if he can be called a comedian, but seth myers was funny last night at the globes.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model