Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
never/ever

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

Postby never/ever » 21 Dec 2017, 11:43

I only have seen Boyle on Mock The Week and there has one-liners are sometimes on point and very funny, sometimes a bit too much relying on the "oooh'-effect. I can dig his kind of humor easily- I would connect him with Greg Giraldo as being very over the top but incredibly funny on given moments.

Haven't seen much stand-up recently but back in the 90s I was a big fan. Next to some great Dutch comedians who call their shows cabaret, I've seen Eddie Izzard, Rich Hall, John Oliver, Billy Connolly and Adam Hills and find in all of their routines and styles a lot of good ideas and puns there. I like the laid-backness and storyteller-routine of Dave Allen and the blunt and relentless excavation of society by George Carlin the best.

Oh and David Mitchell in full rant-tirade mode is terrific!
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Dec 2017, 11:52

Goat Boy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote: I think prime Billy Connolly (circa late 70s/early 80s say) is still the best stand up I've seen.

Without question.

It's sad seeing his health deteriorate. Especially because he's one of those people I grew up with so he's always been there, you know? It reminds you that you're getting older too of course.

Few comedians have ever made me laugh like him.

He is growing old with grace though - of course he became a member of the fawning rich in the mid 80s but a couple of the recent TV series have been beautifully funny in a melancholic kind of way. He still makes me roar on occasion and I love that there's still a fire burning there somewhere, and the deterioration isn't going to stop that (yet). I also love his musical side too - in fact, I think that's his true love.

He will always be remembered, for me, for the "That's Partick Thistle F.C." gag.
Is it nice in your snow storm
Freezing your brain?
Do you think that your face looks the same?

K

Postby K » 21 Dec 2017, 11:55

Goat Boy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote: I think prime Billy Connolly (circa late 70s/early 80s say) is still the best stand up I've seen.

Without question.

It's sad seeing his health deteriorate. Especially because he's one of those people I grew up with so he's always been there, you know? It reminds you that you're getting older too of course.

Few comedians have ever made me laugh like him.

In the "overweight" thread I've been tempted to quote him with his, "Water retention? That's bloody cake retention you've got..."
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
REDACTED, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

OCT
hounds people off the board

Postby OCT » 21 Dec 2017, 12:11

Goat Boy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Without question.

There’s a new-ish documentary about the man which is centred around three artists who were commissioned to paint portraits of him. These portraits are now huge murals plastered on the sides of buildings in Glasgow.

Anyway the film showed BC seeing these murals for the first time - he was impressed. But what was more interesting was that, as he was commenting on them, people were regularly stopping by to shake his hand and hug him (‘God bless you, Billy’). You got a sense of just how loved he is in Glasgow, still today. And he was clearly touched, just a bit slow to respond.

He’s a great great man and a wonderful comedian - and I think a bit of an underrated actor.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 21 Dec 2017, 13:24

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:I find Stewart Lee's political positioning as the darling of the smug, metropolitan liberal elite a bit annoying, but he is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of his technique, its transparency and his delivery.

He's very hit and miss. He sometimes mistakes the technique as being funny in itself, whereas it still needs to be allied to strong material. I've seen some excruciatingly bad stuff from him - there was one recently about Jeremy Clarkson eating a poppadom that went on for ever.

:lol:

see - he’s already got me

Aye - never seen that routine but I'm already laughing at the thought of it.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 15:15

Irt's really not as good as it sounds, believe me: it's basically Lee making munching sounds into a microphone for five minutes. It's more a weird performance art exercise in exposing the audience to a bout of tedium than anything comedic.

But Lee is an odd one for me, as I said before. He'll do something else very similar and it'll have me in stitches. I loved this one for instance.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 15:26

Meh.
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.

OCT

Postby OCT » 21 Dec 2017, 15:29

I thought it was terrific. I love him when he does shit like that.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Dec 2017, 15:41

It's clever comedy, you know? Isn't it impressive how he all ties it together? And how he uses repetition! So clever!

I get it. I like him enough but...
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 15:49

Goat Boy wrote:It's clever comedy, you know? Isn't it impressive how he all ties it together? And how he uses repetition! So clever!

I get it. I like him enough but...

except I'm not intellectualising it as I'm watching it - it just makes me laugh.
I could tie myself in knots trying to explain why it's funny, so I won't try.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Dec 2017, 15:51

That was totally unfunny.
Not a patch on Spiny Norman which had me bent double with laughter last night.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Dec 2017, 15:51

DINSDALE!!!!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

OCT

Postby OCT » 21 Dec 2017, 16:09

'but...it's true that he nailed your wife's head to a coffee table?'

'well, yeah, he did THAT....'

Idle is fucking brilliant in that.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Dec 2017, 16:14

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:'but...it's true that he nailed your wife's head to a coffee table?'

'well, yeah, he did THAT....'

Idle is fucking brilliant in that.

well he had to, didn't he! Be fair..there was nothing else he could do!

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

OCT

Postby OCT » 21 Dec 2017, 16:16

:D

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 21 Dec 2017, 17:02

Jerry

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Dec 2017, 17:21

Rayge wrote:All my favourites are dead.

Just realized this isn't true. Stan, Ollie, Harpo, Hancock, Phil Silvers, Dave Allen and Vicky Wood have gone, but Eddie Izzard is still with us, although he doesn't really seem to be doing comedy any more.
I can't recall ever going to a comedy gig, except for Victoria Wood in Bristol a couple of decades ago, and I think that being in the audience, rather than watching a recording, makes a lot of difference. I'm hoping that's the reason why I find all the clips posted in this thread so far smile-worthy at best. Haven't LOLed once.
The possibility that I'm just a miserable old git has occurred to me, of course, but then I do laugh at lots of things I read in this place, as well as others.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 21 Dec 2017, 17:49

Eddie Izzard was funny once, about two decades ago. He's like Bill Bailey - they touch on something amusing (like surreal observations) and then manage to stretch it out into a career somehow. I mean, I loved Bailey when I saw him; his songs and stuff are entertaining to a degree, but it's not particularly sharp or acute like the best.

This is why I like Stewart Lee - because he mercilessly lampoons observational comedy for the shallow shite that it is.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 21 Dec 2017, 18:35

Toby wrote:Eddie Izzard was funny once, about two decades ago. He's like Bill Bailey - they touch on something amusing (like surreal observations) and then manage to stretch it out into a career somehow. I mean, I loved Bailey when I saw him; his songs and stuff are entertaining to a degree, but it's not particularly sharp or acute like the best.

This is why I like Stewart Lee - because he mercilessly lampoons observational comedy for the shallow shite that it is.

I thought you'd be more Aristophanes or Athenaeus
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 Dec 2017, 18:53

I only need to rewatch (and I do, several times a year) A Private Function to be in comedy clover.
PresMuffley wrote:Hearing Kelly Macdonald sing that chorus bit in Trainspotting was the first time I ever heard anything of "Temptation". I probably thought it was a Scottish folk song at the time.