Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr Markus

Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 12:40

Kevin Bridges, Jimmy Carr and Katherine Ryan for me.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare
hounds people off the board

Re: Who Is Your Favourite Comedian At The Minute?

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 20 Dec 2017, 12:50

Thom Yorke
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 13:00

!!VAPRANT!! wrote:Thom Yorke

I know right, remember when he was on mark and lard's last show on radio 1? Stole the show, simply stole....the....show.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 20 Dec 2017, 13:04

:)

Katherine Ryan tho' Markus, eh? EH?
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 13:08

!!VAPRANT!! wrote::)

Katherine Ryan tho' Markus, eh? EH?

Not gonna lie, good looking lass, but she's very funny too. Quick as a whip as someone over 50 would say.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 20 Dec 2017, 13:24

I guess it's a moot point as to their roles in Detectorists, it's not laugh out loud comedy but for me it's shared between Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook.

Darkness_Fish wrote: I picked Soft Machine, on the basis I couldn't be bothered listening to the others.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Dec 2017, 13:35

All my favourites are dead, but their work is still around.
So, for the 63rd or 64th year in a row, it's Stan Laurel.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

K

Postby K » 20 Dec 2017, 15:30

“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 20 Dec 2017, 16:21

I think Patton Oswalt is very good.
"the brakes are good and the tires are fair.”

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 20 Dec 2017, 23:31

I also like Oswalt, and really enjoyed Hasan Minaj's recent Netflix special.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Dec 2017, 00:34

Richard Ayoade never fails to make me laugh. David Mitchell too.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 21 Dec 2017, 00:53

Richard Ayoade should be incinerated.

I've become quite fond of David Mitchell through watching him on Would I Lie To You? He's a funny man and a good egg.

I don't really get this 'favourite comedian' at all tho' to be honest. It's like asking what your favourite by-road is or something.

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 21 Dec 2017, 01:28

not to somebody who likes by-roads!
I have a lot of respect for stand ups. I mean it takes a lot of nerves and balls and you really need to be in love with your own voice.
if you can do the work and take the taunts, there's not a lot of overhead. you might work for nothing but WHAM you could get a lucky break and you might just be ready for it.

I lived in Hollywood when all the bands and comics were getting signed and it was a really fun time. believe it or not - not all of them were assholes and drug addicts.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 21 Dec 2017, 01:31

Yeah, I imagine the rewards - as instantaneous as they can be - could well be greater for stand-ups than for any artist in any field.

I can't imagine anything I'm less suited for. Has anyone here tried it?

sneelock

Postby sneelock » 21 Dec 2017, 01:38

I did it as a kid, talent shows and stuff. it went great twice and lousy about 5 times. I don't mind repeating myself but I never really got the groove of what a working comedian had to go through in those days. I knew guys who waited to get in on open mike nights and I supported them enough to get a sense of what it was like.

it is true that there is a congeniality with many of those people but it always seemed pretty cut-throat to me. Also, it's really intimidating when somebody is really good or has jokes very similar to ones that have been prepared.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 01:47

I don't really like most stand up comedians to be honest. Dunno why... the laughter from the audience always seems very forced to me. I never enjoyed seeing it live much either, although I have fond memories of me and my mates heckling comedians at Up The Creek.

The funniest guy on tv, by a mile actually, is Frank Skinner. He's probably considered too mainstream and old hat to get the BCB vote, but he is a natural wit. Most of them aren't.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 21 Dec 2017, 02:28

The last standup comic I really got a good laugh from was Judah Friedlander.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Dec 2017, 03:36

I have warmed increasingly to James Acaster this year, he has a persona that is difficult to explain, like a rather intelligent hyper logical 10 year old boy, but he is fantastically funny on panel shows.

The bit on Would I lie to You where he introduced a 10 year kid as his arch enemy and recounted their cabbage based feud was one of the funniest things I have seen on TV for years, and then it all turned out to be true. It is the way he tells fantastical stories with absolute logical certainty that makes him so funny.

He has a very interesting way of looking at the world and I would like to see him live

Number one spot is held this year, as every year, by the incomparable Stewart Lee, the arch troller of thick right wingers everywhere and a national treasure.

And a special mention to Frankie Boyle for honing his cruel, misanthropic comedy to samurai sword sharpness with his disgust at modern politics.

A bit like a more focused Jerry Sadowitz he appalls you, makes you laugh, makes you think and makes you question your own judgment all at the same time.

Case in point - his railing against the euphemisms used in politics these days, especially when it comes to killing people in foreign lands, where the punchline is a comparison with how it was in the 1950s with someone answering the phone - "Hello, Ministry of Defence, department of N***** Bombing"

That is wrong, funny, true, thought provoking, shocking and worrying all at once, and it is a rare comedian and a rare joke that can stir up so many conflicting feelings at once.

Doug Stanhope would probably be the closest American analogue, and I love him too.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Dec 2017, 10:21

Frankie Boyle is a cunt. End of.
There's nothing edgy about mocking Down Syndrome, it's just cuntish behaviour.

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 21 Dec 2017, 10:29

He's a nasty bit of goods, yeah. I disliked him almost immediately and nothing I've seen or read since has made me feel any different.

I'd forgotten about Stewart Lee. He can make me laugh a lot but he's working for a fairly specific audience and he feeds off that and a lot of that stuff annoys me. You could argue that the great comedy talents can reach everyone. Maybe...

There are some traditional stand-ups - going way back, really - who I still enjoy a great deal. Jackie Mason, for example. But that isn't what the thread's about.