2017 questions

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: 2017 questions

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 Dec 2017, 09:33

Can't believe I got a couple of mentions, thanks guys. I'm more of a lingerer than a posterer.

Favourite album?
Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions

Favourite gig?
Didn't do a single one. :(

Favourite book?
I don't think I read anything from 2017, but the best thing I read this year was probably PG Wodehouse's magnificent Leave it to Psmith

Favourite TV show?
Hmm, I don't really do much TV. Err ... Top of the Pops 1982?

Favourite stage thing?
Trapdoors

Favourite meal?
Chicken curry, discovering that my son will actually eat it.

Favourite person?
Can't think of many. Off the top of my head, Brendan Cox, the husband of murdered MP Jo Cox, who has every reason to be angry with the world, but appears to become increasingly calm even under provocation from the President of the USA.

BCBer of the year?
There are many regulars that keep this place going, and I'm not going to list them as I'll miss one or two out and then they'll start despising me even more. But a joint award go to never/ever for his persistent excellence in cup organising, and Coan for putting more effort into keeping this place going. And Shit or Hit is marvellous.

BCB highlight?
Getting a mention in this here thread.

BCB lowlight?
The weird sticky passive aggressive homoeroticism of Pete and Gash's hurt-free threadcrapping thread call outs. It's an embarrassment.

Personal high?
The London weekend with the wife and child.

Personal low?
The ongoing family illness worries; dad and his heart/breathing troubles, the wife and her medical problems.

General thoughts on the year?
It existed, it's nearly over, it all seems very brief.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Dec 2017, 09:35

The weird sticky passive aggressive homoeroticism of Pete and Gash's hurt-free threadcrapping thread call outs. It's an embarrassment.

:) Happy Christmas DF!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 Dec 2017, 09:51

Belle Lettre wrote:

:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I like both Gash and Pete. But that thing is wrong on so many levels.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

gash on ignore
cultural defective

Postby gash on ignore » 20 Dec 2017, 10:41

Belle Lettre wrote:
weird sticky passive aggressive homoeroticism

I know old Fishy likes to dwell in the shadows but what kind of mind could conjure such a depraved image?

*vom*
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:That's it. I've taken the decision. I'm bored of the twat and the misery he deals in.

NMB

Postby NMB » 20 Dec 2017, 13:34

Favourite film?
I lose track of what I saw this year. Dunkirk was pretty good, as was Baby Driver, but I expect I saw something better.

Favourite album?
I don't think I've heard a single album released this year.

Favourite song?
I haven't been paying attention. But there's been one on the radio recently, it might be called You Make It Feel Like Christmas and it might be by Gwen Stefani. I hate Christmas songs but I like that.

Favourite gig?
Kid Creole and the Coconuts

Worst gig?
Big Big Train was inaudible.

Favourite book?
I haven't read anything new but the best thing I did read was Brideshead Revisited.

Favourite TV show?
The Detectorists, Only Connect, Bake Off and Strictly (yes really).

Favourite stage thing?
A flamenco show at the Seville Flamenco Museum. Stunningly good.

Favourite meal?
Can't remember.

Favourite person?
Mrs More Black of course.

Personal high?
Meeting some of Mrs More Black's cousins in Canada. They were lovely.

Personal low?
Losing my drinking buddy to cancer.

I've been OK personally but it's been pretty crap hasn't it?
turn on, tune in, nod off

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Dec 2017, 16:34

Favourite film?

Missed most of the blockbusters, but saw many worthy films. Favorites included:

Ingrid Goes West
Baby Driver
Your Name
Colossal
Free Fire
The Big Sick
Their Finest

Favourite album?

'Kentish Longtails' by Len Price 3

Favourite song?

"Monsters" by DM3

Favourite gig?

Top 2 were Roger Waters and Queen with Adam Lambert

Worst gig?

iron Maiden

Favourite book?

600 ppm, A Novel of Climate Change by Clarke Owens

Favourite TV show?

The Expanse

Definitely high time I got a new job.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 21 Dec 2017, 00:38

Favourite film?

Baby Driver

I only really watch films on airplanes these days so Dunkirk didn't look like much cop on 8"

Favourite album?

France Gal's greatest hits

Favourite song?

Laissez Tombe Les Fils

Favourite gig?

Don't think I went to a single one

Worst gig?

Not going to a single gig

Favourite book?

March Violets, The Bernie Gunther novels, How Not to be a Boy by Robert Webb, [/b
]
Favourite TV show?

[b]Stranger Things, The Detectorists, Would I lie to You ( anything with James Acaster on ), Twin Peaks, Masterchef, Blacklist, Bake Off, Gogglebox, The Vietnam War, Elementary

Favourite stage thing?

HMS Pinafore

Favourite meal?

Had a nice meal with Deebank and bits of our family at the Savoy Grill the other week which was great. Best food was at the Maram Grass in Brynsiencyn, had some nice meals at the Loch Fyne in Elton this year as well.

Favourite person?

Jeremy Corbyn, for proving just about everybody wrong.

BCBer of the year?

Rayge

BCB highlight?

Meh!

BCB lowlight?

boff!
It is the twats and idiots that keep it interesting

Personal high?

New relationship and losing 15kg and counting

Personal low?

Going through a 3 month redundancy process before keeping my job for who knows how much longer

Not as bad as 2016 but still pretty shitty in places
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 21 Dec 2017, 00:53

Favourite film?
I’ve watched very few films this year. About 15 :-( The new Blade Runner was the only major new release I went out to see. My favourite big-screen experiences were Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me and Lou Reed’s Berlin – I found that quite moving, old Lou putting it down for posterity. Just today I watched The Battle for Algiers, which you posted about months ago, and it’s probably the best film I’ve seen all year.

Favourite album?
My grip on new music has been tenuous as usual but Torres Blancas by Wild Honey was an album I really loved. The Peter Perrett one was excellent too. Of old stuff I only just discovered, Vintage Violence by John Cale.

Favourite song?
Desenfocada by the aforementioned Torres Blancas

Favourite gig?
Waldemar Bastos. An Angolan singer I saw at a festival – spellbinding.

Worst gig?
Thievery Corporation. Not buonos. Dreadful.

Favourite book?
I read very few books this year. Not a single great one. Red Plenty by Francis Spufford is the strangest one that comes to mind.

Favourite TV show?
Twin Peaks – kept me on an even keel

Favourite stage thing?
I went to no stage things this year.

Favourite meal?
That’s easy as it was just last weekend – duck leg confit with fried greens and purees of chestnut and pumpkin at my friend’s restaurant.

Favourite person?
Her – me – you – them

BCBer of the year?
You! I was also glad to see the return of G. And Skope too, if briefly.

BCB highlight?
Every time someone’s made me laugh, which has been fairly frequently.

BCB lowlight?
The ongoing DD-Kewl Klive feud. I really wish they’d bury the hatchet/sausage.

Personal high?
The Bullets’n’Burgers Diner on the three-hundred and ninetieth floor of the Impossibly High Hotel in Bumpstock, Gloriana.

Personal low?
The Salton Sea. I fucking loved it. People go on about melting glaciers but they never mention toxic lakes. I was listening to Bob Dylan’s House Carpenter and I really thought he sang “I just got back from the Salton Sea” but he doesn’t. It’s below sea level.

I refuse to say I had a bad year personally, but work has been getting on top of me and shagging me joylessly and remorselessly. I’ve been really miserable. And to make matters worse my hacksaw diplomacy approach has not always turned out for the best, and I’m surprised some people still want to work with me. Next year I’m Taking Back Control (of the couch in the living room).

As for the year generally, obviously everything’s been overshadowed by the "shitgibbon".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Dec 2017, 03:46

Favourite film?

I don't think I saw anything made in 2017 this year. I did love "Dying at Grace" which wasn't new of course, but I suppose watching Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen was my favourite thing.

Favourite album?

Nothing new - but Moondog The German Years (discovered by me in 2017) blew me away.

Favourite song?

Another first for me - as I fell for Robyn Hitchcock this year. "Glass Hotel"

Favourite gig?

Gary Numan the other week, though anything Jon Langford does comes close - all the Langford related stuff at SXSW then some newer stuff a few weeks ago at a local bar. Always fun.

Worst gig?

Can't think of anything.

Favourite book?

Behind The Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. Coming in close behind, any of the million Italo Cavino books I read this year and my re-read of On The Road, decades after my first time

Favourite TV show?

I don't watch TV here really. SNL is ok

Favourite stage thing?

N/A

Favourite meal?

Tacos in Seguin

Favourite person?

My husband is fucking amazing

BCBer of the year?

My husband

BCB highlight?

Simply still being here. I love it.And all the friends and husband that I have as a result.

BCB lowlight?

The refusal to get behind Rufus Wainwright

Personal high?

My brother's wedding in November, catching up with UK friends and family, my first time on the Appalachian trail, starting to perform live with my own songs.

Personal low?

Trump, Brexit, the deaths of two good friends. On the subject of friends, the way some friends feel I should be ashamed that I live in the US, you know, with the man I love. They're going to have to remain outraged. Hopefully we can all get over it.

Politically terrifying, but as always I wake up every day so thrilled to be living with the greatest man alive. That sort of thing is rather important.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Dec 2017, 19:49

Favourite film? - Baby Driver was a riot from start to finish. The Death of Stalin was hilarious and horrendous in equal measure. And Despicable Me 3 was just pure aceness.

Favourite album? N/a - not listened to anything new. I'm a heathen.

Favourite song? No idea.

Favourite gig? Didn't go to any

Worst gig? See above

Favourite book? I go through phases of reading, and then not. This year has been mostly not, but I do like myself a crime thriller, and I did really like Susie Stein's "Persons Unknown".

Favourite TV show? " Line of Duty " series 4. Gripping as fuck.

Favourite stage thing? I've only seen one but it was a humdinger- "Chicago", on Broadway. I was variously amazed by the singing, the wit and the dancers' bottoms.

Favourite meal? We went to our favourite Middle Eastern café for my birthday and had a bit of everything. It's cheap and delicious and it can't be beaten.

Favourite person? Mr T, obviously. Otherwise, my uni friend who I go on an annual holiday with, and some of my new colleagues, who really helped me settle in ( see below ). And Danny Dyer.

BCBer of the year? My favourite posters? - Machuki, Fange, Echolalia, Darkness Fish, Coan, Goat"boy". I think, in terms of a BCB HERO, Never/Ever deserves massive respect innit for all the Cup stuff he does.

BCB highlight? I like the Cups. And the recent YY posts involving 80s music.

BCB lowlight? Nothing, really.

Personal high? Terrific holidays, including New York - we packed a huge amount in. Top of the Rock as night fell, and The Met were especially special. Venice was wonderful, especially away from the hotspots: we walked all over the place and I snarfed down about a zillion ice creams. Vilnius was pretty and bonkers. Otherwise, getting voluntary redundancy from CAB to take a job with the city council. It was a wrench, leaving CAB after 22 years, but I was ready for change. My colleagues are super, and have been very patient with me, particularly as I battle with all sorts of new IT thingies, and have a memory like a sieve.

Personal low? Some family health issues, but these have been resolved, thankfully, thanks to the marvellous NHS.

General thoughts on the year? Personally, a milestone year- challenging in some ways, but ultimately happy and fulfilling. On a more global scale? - We're fucked.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 23 Dec 2017, 19:57

Meant to say Peter Perrett for runner-up in the album and gig questions.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 15 Feb 2018, 20:43

Goat Boy wrote:Some questions about the last 12 months. I’d like you to pick things released this year if possible but if you can’t then just pick anything “new” that really knocked you out this year

Favourite film? I've been of a mood to be overwhelmed by visual grandeur and, emotionally, whacked over the head with a hunting crop. So, Blade Runner 2049 and The Red Turtle.

Favourite album? "A Deeper Understanding", The War on Drugs. Previously, I've been listening for the production and the arrangements, which are full of ideas and hooks. This is the first album where the songwriting is (almost) of a quality to match.

Favourite song? "Slomo", Slowdive

Favourite gig? The Mongrels, Höganäs, April 22nd.

Favourite book?

Regarding the Danish pastor Morten Falck, who enthusiastically applied to join the 18th century mission to recolonise Greenland. Fired less by evangelical zeal, than by enlightenment values. Only to discover that the Inuit have little use for either his bloodless religion or his Rousseaunian ideals, having forged their own cooperative society and their own radical Christianity. Compromised even before he arrives by awful sins of omission and commission on the whaling boat over, Falck is some soiled version of the Idiot, spreading chaos and destruction however good his intentions are.

Helpless to stop the ruthless Danish merchantry from humiliating the natives and ultimately smashing the "prophets" of the new church, Falck is similarly incapable of repairing the more literally rapacious damage wrought by his priestly predecessor. Who has peopled the tiny, isolated communities of the island with his bastards, doomed to commingle their bloodlines for generations to come. Meanwhile, he is warding off the utter chill - the misery of which is so beautifully evoked that you can taste the pain - by quaffing the communion wine and shagging the High Commisioner's wife. Leading to a grim gunpowder-augmented abortion that so laconically described that, like a number of other scenes, becomes an improbable, dire form of comedy. When a shot at redemption is offered Falck, it takes the form of a terrible crime against the only Greenlander for whom he really cares, in order to prevent her from performing a worse one.

It is not a perfect novel. The structuring is mostly brilliant - the central crisis mentioned above is teased and largely explained at the start, and all the subsequent flashbacks and flashforwards cleverly keep you on the hook. But the pre-Greenland "prologue", where we are introduced to the dilettantish, not-half-so-smart-as-he-thinks protagonist is bafflingly long. Albeit enlivened by bouts of sex with a hermaphrodite gypsy. Beaten, ground down, Falck's purgatory and restitution on his way home through Norway - arriving back in Copenhagen for the great purifying fire of 1795 - is also unnecessarily protracted. But the epilogue, where the narrative shifts from an Olympian third-person to the first-person account of a minor character left behind in Greenland, turns out to be a remarkable tribute to hope growing out of blackest despair, and the unquenchability of the human spirit. I found it profoundly moving.

Favourite TV show? Blue Planet II, although I didn't see it until the turn of the year.

BCBer of the year? Sneelock entertains with every post.

Personal high? Can't think of one.

Personal low? Ms northernsky's dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in november. Very sudden, and yet somehow not. He worked until he was 69 and was very active for a couple of years after. As recently as last May he helped us build a balcony and made football goals for his grandchildren in our garden. Then by October he could barely manage the stairs. It's a pity he was diagnosed with type II diabetes a couple of years ago. He wasn't always as careful as he should have been after that, with his medication or his diet, and it made it all too easy for us to blame his general "slowing down" and occasional unsteadiness on his legs on that. Anyway, during the summer - the busiest time of year for us - his appetite disappeared and he basically stopped feeding himself. By the time we convinced him to get a diagnosis and an X-ray, he had a 5cm tumour and swollen lymph nodes. They can brake the development with chemo but it's too late for radio or an operation.

Selfishly speaking: Ms northernsky lost her brother to skeletal cancer a few years ago. Both those guys were great at everything I'm shit at - fixing the plumbing, fixing the car, felling trees, etc. They had so much left to give and knowledge to transmit. And I feel utterly unequipped to take their place.

Even more selfishly, there is a thing that troubles me more from day to day, and that is my work situation. Through 2017, my boss retired and five of my closest colleagues left, including two of my favourite people in the world. And, not to put too fine a point on it, their replacements are a bunch of complete cunts.

Actually, they're not. But there are now twice as many of them, and the fish rots from the head down.
You could never confuse my old boss with an overly sympathetic person, but she was able to juggle 10 projects at once without forgetting anything, a keen appreciation of people's limits, reasonable expectations, and empathy. The new guy has similarly high demands and only succeeds in spreading hysteria and angst. Without even realizing it. And that is twisting other people's behaviours into shapes that leave me knotted with rage whenever I have to interact with them. So I try not to. I don't think that's a sustainable situation in the long- or even medium-term.