Oppressed White Men

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

As a white man how oppressed do you feel?

Not in the slightest
88%
A little
8%
A fair bit
No votes
A lot
No votes
I am the only minority you are allowed to vilify these days and it is ruining my life
4%

Total votes: 24

Dr Markus

Re: Oppressed White Men

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 16:03

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote: It is important because we don't want a witchhunt. If you think that it is a worthy thing to give up, innocent people or ALL men can get called racist/sexist and fuck them because minorities/women have been mistreated for centuries, then you have to ask yourself are you looking for revenge or equality? Where does it stop? Because you're in a certain demographic you should just take your medicine even though you did nothing wrong. Can I call all British people today cunts for what happened over 800 years ago in Ireland? Should US people today just take it if a native American calls them cunts for what happened their ancestors? This isn't a debate about which is more important, i'm raising this point because it should be taken in to consideration. Otherwise, you white racist/sexist pig (by your rationale it doesn't matter if you've done any of this or not) everyone's guilty by lack of choice of their up bringing, the country they were born in, and not having a choice in having white skin. White people should just shut the fuck up and say nothing, their point of view is worthless? Fuck that.

What “witch hunt?” Do you actually feel as if you are in danger simply because people make this argument?

Let go of thinking of racism as something tied to personal actions or attitudes. Think of it instead as upholding a system that is rife with racial bias.

Nobody is arguing that all white men are active racists. But we all benefit from societal norms and assumptions that effectively incarcerate black men at an unacceptable rate, underfund black schools, maintain a notable wealth gap, and continue racist housing policies.

All of these things persist because white people control the levers of power, and because the majority of us either vote for the policies that perpetuate them, or at least don’t consider than problematic enough to take a stand.

So the issue isn’t “all white people” as individuals. The issue is “white people” as a larger cohort.

Make sense?

I don't feel endangered at all that's just a lazy response, my original point it that people should be using certain word as not to make it sound that ALL white people are responsible. You can say "the issue is white people” as a larger cohort." That's another way of saying all white people. If a white person gets a job over a black person because they are white, it's not their fault. It's the fault of the hiring person who is obviously racist. So they are the one that should be prosecuted. If the white person who got the job doesn't know the person hiring is racist, they should just automatically presume? or just say themselves well I got the job but i'm gonna feel guilty every second while I do it?

But we all benefit from societal norms and assumptions that effectively incarcerate black men at an unacceptable rate, underfund black schools, maintain a notable wealth gap, and continue racist housing policies.

How personally have you contributed to all the things have you mentioned by being white?
1. Have you lied or got off with something concerning the cops, so the cops just blamed a black guy and let you go?
2. Have you personally had any interaction with the US version of the minister of education and turned a blind eye when these schools don't get funding? Have you kids in a "white" school that does get the proper funding and turned a blind eye when they get more compared to your nearest "black" school?
3. Are you wealthy? when the elections were on did you research deeply in to Trump and Clinton's tax suggestions and think "i'll vote for trump, he's gonna save me more money"?
4. Do you knowingly have your current house because a black person got turned down for it because they were black? If so, do you feel guilty or the person that sold you the house is racist and you didn't know.

...and just so we're clear here, black people in the US are oppressed, but it's by racists not all white people.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Dec 2017, 16:22

well, there's that whole institutional racism thing.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 16:27

Sneelock wrote:well, there's that whole institutional racism thing.

Like? just want an example, haven't agreed or disagreed yet.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Dec 2017, 16:29

The Great Defector wrote:You can say "the issue is white people” as a larger cohort." That's another way of saying all white people

No. It really isn’t.

If someone argues that white people as a cohort elected Donald Trump, would they be wrong? He won 58% of the white vote, making whiteness the most likely demographic determinative of who voted for him. Yet at 58%, clearly not everybody voted for him. So...#notallwhitepeople.

Can we move forward with that understanding?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Dec 2017, 16:30

The Great Defector wrote:

like institutional racism. it's like global warming - you either agree it exists or you don't.
if you don't, there aren't enough hours in the day to try & convince you otherwise.
uggy poopy doody.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 16:33

Sneelock wrote:

like institutional racism. it's like global warming - you either agree it exists or you don't.
if you don't, there aren't enough hours in the day to try & convince you otherwise.

Ok.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 16:35

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:You can say "the issue is white people” as a larger cohort." That's another way of saying all white people

No. It really isn’t.

If someone argues that white people as a cohort elected Donald Trump, would they be wrong? He won 58% of the white vote, making whiteness the most likely demographic determinative of who voted for him. Yet at 58%, clearly not everybody voted for him. So...#notallwhitepeople.

But you just contradicted yourself. You argued that "white people as a cohort elected Donald Trump". White people, not some, not a little, not a majority, just white people. Then you said he won " 58% of the white vote" so not all white people did vote for him. 48% didn't. So a proper more exact statement would be "about half of the US white people voted for him", "about half of white people as a cohort elected Donald Trump". Can we move forward with that understanding? that when you say white people, you're sounding like you mean 100% of white Americans. Which just isn't true. Words are important Davey. Also can you answer my questions in my previous post.

Ironically i'm trying to convince YOU that you're a good person and not personally responsible for the problem. :)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Dec 2017, 17:58

Sneelock wrote:

London’s Met Police have admitted to institutional racism a couple of times.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Dec 2017, 18:19

The Great Defector wrote:1. Have you lied or got off with something concerning the cops, so the cops just blamed a black guy and let you go?

Everyone who's white has personally benefited from racial profiling.

It may not be as clear-cut as a cop thinking I'll nail that black guy instead of this white guy, but white guys simply don't get pulled over as often. There you have it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 18:20

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:1. Have you lied or got off with something concerning the cops, so the cops just blamed a black guy and let you go?

It may not be as clear-cut as a cop thinking I'll nail that black guy instead of this white guy, but white guys simply don't get pulled over as often. There you have it.

Probably yeah, but should you personally feel guilty or bad for a racist white cop? I don't think you should. You didn't make the cop racist.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Dec 2017, 18:29

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:

No. It really isn’t.

But you just contradicted yourself. You argued that "white people as a cohort elected Donald Trump". White people, not some, not a little, not a majority, just white people. Then you said he won " 58% of the white vote" so not all white people did vote for him. 48% didn't. So a proper more exact statement would be "about half of the US white people voted for him", "about half of white people as a cohort elected Donald Trump". Can we move forward with that understanding? that when you say white people, you're sounding like you mean 100% of white Americans. Which just isn't true. Words are important Davey. Also can you answer my questions in my previous post.

Ironically i'm trying to convince YOU that you're a good person and not personally responsible for the problem. :)

Well first off, if 58% voted for Trump then 42% didn’t...not 48%.

I’m not sure why you think we can’t talk about a cohort unless there is 100% conformity within the group. You wouldn’t have a problem with agreeing that Republicans voted for Trump and Democrats voted for Clinton, but I’m actuality Clinton got 89% of the Democratic vote and Trump got 90% of the Republican vote. So that means that lots of people in both parties didn’t vote for their candidate.

There is almost never 100% lockstep uniformity among any group of people, so in politics we often talk about them in terms of functional governing majorities.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Dec 2017, 18:32

Snarfyguy wrote:

Probably yeah, but should you personally feel guilty or bad for a racist white cop? I don't think you should. You didn't make the cop racist.

No. But you accept a system that allows racist cops to serve. When you see that their arrest records are disproportionately hard on people of color, you make excuses or write it off as the fault of one racist cop. That’s how institutional racism works.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Dec 2017, 18:47

As for your other questions Markus:

2. There are a lot of assumptions in this question. If you insist on personalizing this, why not simply ask what I’ve personally done to address the issue of education inequality. But do we really need to go over our personal bona fides in order to recognize an institutional problem?

3. I’m not wealthy. I didn’t vote for Trump. I don’t understand the purpose of this question.

4. Do we really need to talk about housing policy by way of my personal house? How would I even know if anyone was specifically turned down for that house? Should I only care about the subject if this happened, or can we skip that step and just look at the disparities in housing between white people and people of color as a whole?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 19:04

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Everyone who's white has personally benefited from racial profiling.

No. But you accept a system that allows racist cops to serve. When you see that their arrest records are disproportionately hard on people of color, you make excuses or write it off as the fault of one racist cop. That’s how institutional racism works.

Simply no. I didn't blame the issue on "one racist cop". There is are loads of racist cops, of that I don't doubt. However do you think all cops are racist? or some? or majority? That's my issue. You keep using absolutes, when it's simply not true.

Police have a boards that try and keep cops in check. Again are you saying they're All racist, or.....wait for it........or some? or majority? That's my issue. You keep using absolutes, when it's simply not true. The term institutional racism is an absolute that gives people labels they don't deserve.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 19:08

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
No. It really isn’t.

Well first off, if 58% voted for Trump then 42% didn’t...not 48%.

I’m not sure why you think we can’t talk about a cohort unless there is 100% conformity within the group. You wouldn’t have a problem with agreeing that Republicans voted for Trump and Democrats voted for Clinton, but I’m actuality Clinton got 89% of the Democratic vote and Trump got 90% of the Republican vote. So that means that lots of people in both parties didn’t vote for their candidate.

There is almost never 100% lockstep uniformity among any group of people, so in politics we often talk about them in terms of functional governing majorities.

"Well first off, if 58% voted for Trump then 42% didn’t...not 48%." Cheap, but anyway.

Cohorts? no, no issue with that word. "White people" which suggests 100% of while people voted for him, yeah I think that's wrong. You're white, i'm pretty sure you didn't vote for him, but you don't mind being labeled as someone who did?

So you admit not all democrats voted for Hilary and not all republicans voted for trump but you say "white people" again, an absolute statement, voted for Trump. Can you see the issue here?
Last edited by Dr Markus on 20 Dec 2017, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Dec 2017, 19:09

Snarfyguy wrote:

No, you should vote for candidates who oppose racial profiling.

However do you think all cops are racist? or some? or majority?

At the risk of being flippant, who cares? Enough of them are so that it's a problem.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 20 Dec 2017, 19:11

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: But we all benefit from societal norms and assumptions that effectively incarcerate black men at an unacceptable rate, underfund black schools, maintain a notable wealth gap, and continue racist housing policies.

Er...no we don't.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 19:12

Snarfyguy wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Everyone who's white has personally benefited from racial profiling.

No, you should vote for candidates who oppose racial profiling.

However do you think all cops are racist? or some? or majority?

At the risk of being flippant, who cares? Enough of them are so that it's a problem.

Unless they micro manage there's always going to be racial profiling. I'm pretty sure there was racial profiling during Obama's term too. It's ALWAYS gonna be there.

As a cop's son, if someone called him a racist just because he was cop and based on nothing else, they're getting punched.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Dec 2017, 19:14

No Markus,

The term institutional racism speaks to failures in the larger system to deal with things like racist cops.

So if what we have now are boards that try to keep racist cops in check - is that enough? Are they effective? Are there other things that we can do to deal with the issue?

Ultimately what’s at issue is our commitment to changing the status quo. Institutional racism protects it and acts as if nothing else can possibly be done.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Dec 2017, 19:17

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:As for your other questions Markus:

2. There are a lot of assumptions in this question. If you insist on personalizing this, why not simply ask what I’ve personally done to address the issue of education inequality. But do we really need to go over our personal bona fides in order to recognize an institutional problem?

3. I’m not wealthy. I didn’t vote for Trump. I don’t understand the purpose of this question.

4. Do we really need to talk about housing policy by way of my personal house? How would I even know if anyone was specifically turned down for that house? Should I only care about the subject if this happened, or can we skip that step and just look at the disparities in housing between white people and people of color as a whole?

1. Well I have to personalize to show that everyone is different, not all white people are racist or sexist. If I group everyone in like you're doing then i'd pretty much be agreeing with you.

2. The purpose of the question is that wealthy white people are a problem according to you and as a white person yourself, and you're not wealthy, then you still have to foot or take some of the blame just because your white. Which is just wrong.

3. Again I have to personalize this to make you see that YOU ARE NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM just because you're white. You just went about your life and bought/rented a house.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 20 Dec 2017, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Nextdoorland”