Plans For Jesus's Birthday?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Dr Markus

Plans For Jesus's Birthday?

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Dec 2017, 12:14

Off Friday week, got a half day, rush present buy then down t'pub for the Liverpool/Arsenal game. Then off until the 2nd of January. Christmas will be spent down my sister's noisy house with 5 nieces and nephews running riot. Is there any other way? :D
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

K

Re: Plans For Jesus's Birthday?

Postby K » 14 Dec 2017, 13:44

By pure chance it coincides wit my celebration of the Norse festival of Yuletide and the Roman festival of Saturnalia, so I will do the things associated with those, such as eating a great feast, putting up a tree and giving gifts.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Dec 2017, 16:47

While Jesus's birthday is unknown, and is not mentioned in the bible, scholars have generally concluded that he was definitely NOT born on December 25th or anywhere near it.

some scholarly bible website wrote:According to Bible commentator Adam Clarke it was customary for the Jews to send their sheep to pasture from the spring until early October. As the cold winter months began, the flocks would return from the fields for shelter and warmth. Since the shepherds were still tending their flocks in the fields around Bethlehem it can be concluded that the angels announced the news of Jesus’ birth no later than October.

Modern-day Christmas celebrations, no matter what the fundies tell you, has a whole lot more in common with the pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice, than anything having anything to do with Jesus (though Jesus has most of the good songs). So I'm with K on this one.

My best guess is Jesus was conceived later in the year and born in late summer or early fall (and I don't buy that virgin nonsense either, just for the record).
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 14 Dec 2017, 16:51

I'm going to buy him a tequila and wait to see if he shows up for it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Dec 2017, 16:52

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I'm going to buy him a tequila and wait to see if he shows up for it.

*dons false beard and robes*
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Dec 2017, 17:22

toomanyhatz wrote:While Jesus's birthday is unknown, and is not mentioned in the bible, scholars have generally concluded that he was definitely NOT born on December 25th or anywhere near it.

some scholarly bible website wrote:According to Bible commentator Adam Clarke it was customary for the Jews to send their sheep to pasture from the spring until early October. As the cold winter months began, the flocks would return from the fields for shelter and warmth. Since the shepherds were still tending their flocks in the fields around Bethlehem it can be concluded that the angels announced the news of Jesus’ birth no later than October.

Modern-day Christmas celebrations, no matter what the fundies tell you, has a whole lot more in common with the pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice, than anything having anything to do with Jesus (though Jesus has most of the good songs). So I'm with K on this one.

My best guess is Jesus was conceived later in the year and born in late summer or early fall (and I don't buy that virgin nonsense either, just for the record).

:roll:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

K

Postby K » 14 Dec 2017, 17:25

It means "imagined"
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Dec 2017, 17:27

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I'm going to buy him a tequila and wait to see if he shows up for it.

Didn't know you were Jewish.

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 14 Dec 2017, 18:04

The Great Defector wrote:

Didn't know you were Jewish.

I'm not. I am incredibly patient, though.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Dec 2017, 18:33

The Great Defector wrote: :roll:

So giving a literal, serious, considered response earns an eye-roll? I guess I'll take note of that. :roll:

Oh, sorry - so was I supposed to tell you my plans for Jesus's birthday?

I don't have any.

For Christmas, though, I'm getting together with my family and probably having seafood, and maybe tamales (if my Mexican sister-in-law brings them, which I hope she will).
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Dec 2017, 18:52

Double post.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 14 Dec 2017, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Dec 2017, 18:57

toomanyhatz wrote: I'm getting together with my family and probably having seafood, and maybe tamales (if my Mexican sister-in-law brings them, which I hope she will).

We got there in the end.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 15 Dec 2017, 08:17

Presents will be coo-ed over, Rayge is going to cook another bang up Christmas dinner, intoxicants will be enjoyed, a two-human dog walk (including the ever-popular 'fetch the ball' game on the Millennium Green) will be enjoyed by a certain canine (shhh, don't tell him he's a canine) followed very probably by sprawling over the furniture with vague "I'll never do it again" thoughts concerning eating too much.

The day after, we're going to dinner at No. 1 Son's place where we will exclaim how tall the boys are, exchange presents (they're getting 3 guitars, vintage vinyl, lego vouchers and some silver and light blue gem jewellery) and eat too much of a second but Nordic-style Christmas dinner thanks to Finnish No. 1 Daughter-in-law.

And possibly even some telly.*

* Not the Queen's speech, obv.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 15 Dec 2017, 19:07

The "Jesus" part of Xmas is the least interesting part of it and I'm not a worshipper. However I do understand the wisdom of the ancient Romans needing to maintain our paganistic Winter Festival and re-branding it as "Jesus' Birthday."

The fact is, winter is tough and it'll kill ya if you're not ready for it. And even if it doesn't kill ya, it's no fun walking out to your car at night and finding the locks are frozen solid, so you have to pee in the lock to defrost it, and it's fucking freezing the whole time.

So it's a good time of year to have a day of forced fun. The expectation is, you are going to have a day off work, spent with family and loved ones, and you're gonna make something nice to eat and be nice to each other, maybe more than usual. The kids will be super excited. There are all these little games and fun things to do, some of which are corny and lame, some of which are really cool, sometimes those are the same things experienced at different times in life. There's special music you don't listen to the rest of the year, that is engineered to make you feel warm and happy.

I believe this tradition is necessary for our species' survival and I do my part to make it festive every single year.

One thing I like to do is take Black Sabbath songs and sing the lyrics to Xmas songs over them, or write my own Xmas lyrics to them. There's a certain humor aspect to it of course, but I don't think its out of character. Sabbath lyrics are not evil and full of hate... they are peace sign-waving anti-war hippies, asking people to reject greed and selfishness and show the world that love is still alive. THAT'S WHAT SANTA CLAUS SAYS!

Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Dec 2017, 19:15

I'm going to church and debating whether to volunteer at a homeless shelter
I run out of talent

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 15 Dec 2017, 19:28

WG Kaspar wrote:I'm going to church and debating whether to volunteer at a homeless shelter

Good for you Kaspar :)

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 15 Dec 2017, 19:37

WG Kaspar wrote:I'm going to church and debating whether to volunteer at a homeless shelter

Will you be debating with the priest?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Dec 2017, 00:03

bobzilla77 wrote:The "Jesus" part of Xmas is the least interesting part of it and I'm not a worshipper. However I do understand the wisdom of the ancient Romans needing to maintain our paganistic Winter Festival and re-branding it as "Jesus' Birthday."

The fact is, winter is tough and it'll kill ya if you're not ready for it. And even if it doesn't kill ya, it's no fun walking out to your car at night and finding the locks are frozen solid, so you have to pee in the lock to defrost it, and it's fucking freezing the whole time.

So it's a good time of year to have a day of forced fun. The expectation is, you are going to have a day off work, spent with family and loved ones, and you're gonna make something nice to eat and be nice to each other, maybe more than usual. The kids will be super excited. There are all these little games and fun things to do, some of which are corny and lame, some of which are really cool, sometimes those are the same things experienced at different times in life. There's special music you don't listen to the rest of the year, that is engineered to make you feel warm and happy.

I believe this tradition is necessary for our species' survival and I do my part to make it festive every single year.
Nice
One thing I like to do is take Black Sabbath songs and sing the lyrics to Xmas songs over them, or write my own Xmas lyrics to them. There's a certain humor aspect to it of course, but I don't think its out of character. Sabbath lyrics are not evil and full of hate... they are peace sign-waving anti-war hippies, asking people to reject greed and selfishness and show the world that love is still alive. THAT'S WHAT SANTA CLAUS SAYS!

Hey man, I'm just keeping light asking what people are doing Xmas day if anything.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Dec 2017, 00:12

bobzilla77 wrote:The "Jesus" part of Xmas is the least interesting part of it and I'm not a worshipper. However I do understand the wisdom of the ancient Romans needing to maintain our paganistic Winter Festival and re-branding it as "Jesus' Birthday."

This post made me smile. Cheers Bob!
Oh god I sound like sea of tunes.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Dec 2017, 00:40

The Great Defector wrote:Hey man, I'm just keeping light asking what people are doing Xmas day if anything.

You had to ruin Christmas by bringing Jesus into it, didn't you? :D