RIP Keith Chegwin

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
K

RIP Keith Chegwin

Postby K » 11 Dec 2017, 14:30

The TV presenter Keith Chegwin has died aged 60 after a “long-term battle with a progressive lung condition”.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
REDACTED, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Geezee

Re: RIP Keith Chegwin

Postby Geezee » 11 Dec 2017, 15:05

"Men have knobs, women have fannies".
RIP
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

OCT
hounds people off the board

Postby OCT » 11 Dec 2017, 15:41

Geezee wrote:"Men have knobs, women have fannies".

Oh, beautiful.

Lovely bloke.

RIP.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Dec 2017, 10:25

Chegwin means Whitehouse in Cornish.

RIP Keith Whitehouse.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

OCT

Postby OCT » 12 Dec 2017, 10:42

Nice work, lads. Fitting tributes.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

nev harp
cultural defective

Postby nev harp » 12 Dec 2017, 10:44

Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 12 Dec 2017, 10:57

No-one is going to give a fuck about Noel Edmonds when he dies.

OCT

Postby OCT » 12 Dec 2017, 18:40

Noel means Christmas in some languages. Would be a shame to lose Christmas.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Dec 2017, 14:22

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/katie-hopkins-swooped-new-low-14026657

The rent-a-gob has been branded 'insensitive' after taking to Twitter following the Liverpool comic's death.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 14 Dec 2017, 09:40

I had two dealings with Cheggers. When I was a cub reporter on a local newspaper he was on my "patch" so was called upon regularly for photocalls and opinions. Because of its geographical convenience for London and affluence, Reading and Berkshire had a rich seam of celebrities for us to mine – even George Harrison was pretty helpful, but was paranoid about that stalker who plagued him and his family for decades – so to be frank, poor old Cheggers wan’t often top of the call list. Funny thing is, the more “faded” a star, the more pleasant they tended to be. Jenny Hanley ran The Crown at Playhatch and was lovely, Marty Wilde was generous and incredibly hospitable, every time it rained with any purpose Rolf Harris (yes, him) was happy to bung on his wellies and slosh down to the end of his flooded riverside garden in Bray for photos. Yup, me and the A-list!
Even in the early 1990s, Cheggers fitted into the has-been class.
The first time I came across him was a telephone interview to see what he had thought of new BBC soap Eldorado (remember that?) after its debut the previous evening. I called at 8am, he was clearly shitfaced.
I forget why I was bothering him the next time, but he was clearly pissed again. That time he asked if I had a car and when I said I did, he said that he didn’t like telephone interviews and would I come round and do it face to face. So I did. When I got there it became clear that his drunkenness was from that morning rather than the night before. It wasn't fall-over drunk, but it was pretty obvious. He suggested the best way to do the interview was on the move and when I agreed he said “Great, hop in Rose, I’ve got you a lift to school.” It was unspeakably tragic that he was like that in front of this young child, barely more than a toddler, conspicuously drunk/very tipsy at 8am, having to beg for a lift to take this child (four or five at most I would think) to nursery/school from a complete stranger because he wasn't really capable. I think this was the year before he split up with Maggie Philbin.
The thing is, I did talk to him at length that take and take the alcohol out of the equation and he was utterly delightful. He was disarmingly charming and nice, totally candid with absolutely no airs and graces, and completely down to earth.
It’s not like we were mates, or that I spent more than two hours talking with the fella in my life, but I won’t forget it because that second tragic little encounter and all its implications – addiction, the aftermath of (child) stardom, parental ir/responsibility, mental health etc – has haunted me slightly ever since.
Plus, obviously, the fact that all of this happened with Keith bloody Chegwin is just surreal.

**right, Cheggers done, now to plague the Johnny Hallyday thread with my "The time I met Johnny..." anecdote**
He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 14 Dec 2017, 10:34

**like**

OCT

Postby OCT » 14 Dec 2017, 12:44

Nikki Gradual wrote:I had two dealings with Cheggers. When I was a cub reporter on a local newspaper he was on my "patch" so was called upon regularly for photocalls and opinions. Because of its geographical convenience for London and affluence, Reading and Berkshire had a rich seam of celebrities for us to mine – even George Harrison was pretty helpful, but was paranoid about that stalker who plagued him and his family for decades – so to be frank, poor old Cheggers wan’t often top of the call list. Funny thing is, the more “faded” a star, the more pleasant they tended to be. Jenny Hanley ran The Crown at Playhatch and was lovely, Marty Wilde was generous and incredibly hospitable, every time it rained with any purpose Rolf Harris (yes, him) was happy to bung on his wellies and slosh down to the end of his flooded riverside garden in Bray for photos. Yup, me and the A-list!
The first time I came across him was a telephone interview to see what he had thought of new BBC soap Eldorado (remember that?) after its debut the previous evening. I called at 8am, he was clearly shitfaced.
I forget why I was bothering him the next time, but he was clearly pissed again. That time he asked if I had a car and when I said I did, he said that he didn’t like telephone interviews and would I come round and do it face to face. So I did. When I got there it became clear that his drunkenness was from that morning rather than the night before. It wasn't fall-over drunk, but it was pretty obvious. He suggested the best way to do the interview was on the move and when I agreed he said “Great, hop in Rose, I’ve got you a lift to school.” It was unspeakably tragic that he was like that in front of this young child, barely more than a toddler, conspicuously drunk/very tipsy at 8am, having to beg for a lift to take this child (four or five at most I would think) to nursery/school from a complete stranger because he wasn't really capable. I think this was the year before he split up with Maggie Philbin.
The thing is, I did talk to him at length that take and take the alcohol out of the equation and he was utterly delightful. He was disarmingly charming and nice, totally candid with absolutely no airs and graces, and completely down to earth.
It’s not like we were mates, or that I spent more than two hours talking with the fella in my life, but I won’t forget it because that second tragic little encounter and all its implications – addiction, the aftermath of (child) stardom, parental ir/responsibility, mental health etc – has haunted me slightly ever since.
Plus, obviously, the fact that all of this happened with Keith bloody Chegwin is just surreal.

**right, Cheggers done, now to plague the Johnny Hallyday thread with my "The time I met Johnny..." anecdote**

Great stories. Sad to read about him cadging a lift to get his own kid to school - although I guess that had more to do with his own boozy inability than poverty.

I think Cheggers kicked the booze in the 90s but (as you know) it’s not at all uncommon to hear about stars whose fortunes have faded hitting the bottle. It’s sad, but in many ways it’s understandable. And they’re not monsters, they’re just lost souls trying to cope in a world that’s left them behind.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Dec 2017, 13:08

People need things to fill the void. It must be hard.

Sad to hear that story but nice to hear he was a decent chap.
Harvey K-Tel wrote:After reading this thread all I can think is thank fuck I'm not Copehead. I can't imagine being that tedious. People would fucking hate me!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Dec 2017, 13:46

Nikki Gradual wrote:I had two dealings with Cheggers. When I was a cub reporter on a local newspaper he was on my "patch" so was called upon regularly for photocalls and opinions. Because of its geographical convenience for London and affluence, Reading and Berkshire had a rich seam of celebrities for us to mine – even George Harrison was pretty helpful, but was paranoid about that stalker who plagued him and his family for decades – so to be frank, poor old Cheggers wan’t often top of the call list. Funny thing is, the more “faded” a star, the more pleasant they tended to be. Jenny Hanley ran The Crown at Playhatch and was lovely, Marty Wilde was generous and incredibly hospitable, every time it rained with any purpose Rolf Harris (yes, him) was happy to bung on his wellies and slosh down to the end of his flooded riverside garden in Bray for photos. Yup, me and the A-list!

:D

Fabulous story. I read it twice!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?