some questions about FOOD goddammit

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: some questions about FOOD goddammit

Postby Toby » 07 Dec 2017, 10:37

Anything with a shell. Naturally you have to be careful, but little clams in Spaghetti Vongole - to die for.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2017, 10:45

[quote="The Unfragrant Ox"]BE HONEST!

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal?

Much less of an epicurean pleasure than it used to be. I'm not a big restaurant goer these days. That said, it's still exciting to go to somewhere like Borough Market and try different things.

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa?

I'm not as attracted to curries as much as I used to be. I find the sauces a bit heavy and rich for me these days.

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....?

Italian

What did you last eat?

I had a tooth extracted yesterday, so not much at all!

What do you eat most often?

Eggs -they're so versatile aren't they?

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them?

A hearty game stew. Although the size of the portions probably wouldn't be great!

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH?

Nothing really. I've never been a fussy eater. I'm not that keen on polenta or gnocci. I think it's the texture.

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst?

The best usually involves coming across a great dish abroad - monk fish in Spain, crawfish in Turkey, smoked duck's liver in Budapest all spring to my mind. The worst? The innumerable times I've left a pizza in the oven too long! Nothing worse than a slightly burned pizza!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:47

Toby wrote:Anything with a shell. Naturally you have to be careful, but little clams in Spaghetti Vongole - to die for.

Yeah, that kind of thing and pasta is made for each other and you don't have to do anything fancy with it.

The lass and I picked loads of clams on Barra one year. It took a bit of effort mind but there's real satisfaction in doing that sorta thing of course.

#foodwanker #forager
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:49

I've gone off curry a bit too.

I have delicate guts anyway and some of the sauces go through me a bit these days. The side dishes can be great though

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Dec 2017, 11:04

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal?
I love food, it's one of life's great pleasures, whether it be a fine meal cooked by an expert chef, or the S&M inflicted by a Greggs chicken pastie. My main complaint at the moment is that I struggle to find enough time to try out different meals anymore, and I also have to take into account I've got a mard 10 year old who refuses to eat practically anything that isn't pizza or breadcrumb-coated.

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa?
Some things just fall out of favour through overuse. I used to do a kind of pasta with tomatoes, chorizo, peppers and ham every week, but it seems to have been consigned to the past now. I'm fairly fussy with my food, but I don't think there's anything that I used to like that I don't like anymore.

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....?
Italy. Simple, fresh, bloody tasty food.

What did you last eat?
Porridge, with raisins and a little salt.

What do you eat most often?
As above, because that's the regular breakfast. Normally without the salt, but today I felt extravagant. If you're talking evening meal/tea, it's either chicken curry or spaghetti bolognese (the two proper meals my son will eat without complaint).

A big vat of chili con carne. It's my standard bunch of people coming round meal.

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH?
The kind of veg you get in a shit pub Sunday roast. Soggy mashed carrots, turnips, that kind of thing. Horrible texture, taste almost entirely absent.

Not really sure, to be honest. A local gastro pub used to be run by someone who semi-retired from being head-chef at the 2-Michelin-starred Le Gavroche, and that was pretty spectacular (and much cheaper than Le Gavroche). But I can't think of any specifics. Worst recently was at a nearby pub that used to be good, where I waited over an hour for a lasagne, and it was still frozen in the middle.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Dec 2017, 11:05

...breaking news.

About to eat a banana.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2017, 11:11

Darkness_Fish wrote:
A big vat of chili con carne. It's my standard bunch of people coming round meal.

You'd be landing yourself in BCB controversy then! I remember we had a long thread where people got very touchy about the use of beans in chili, you shouldn't do it under any circumstance apparently! Me, I still happily use kidney beans when doing a chilli con carne.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 11:16

It’s carne con chilli as well apparently.

Kidney beans are a no no. You don’t use mince either.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 07 Dec 2017, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 07 Dec 2017, 11:18

Let's face it - mince is a bit minging.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2017, 11:28

Toby wrote:Let's face it - mince is a bit minging.

Nah, I love doing a spag bol or chili. There's something really pleasurable about spending an evening cooking something like that in a big pan and then eating it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 11:30

I always leave it overnight

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2017, 11:33

Goat Boy wrote:I always leave it overnight

That's a good idea as it definitely tastes better, but I can't resist the temptation of eating it right away.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 07 Dec 2017, 12:41

Mince a decent cut of beef yourself - it's worth investing in a mincer. As GB knows :)
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 07 Dec 2017, 12:41

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal? Pleasure and Necessity

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa? Meat...Became a Vegetarian in college....And Tofu, I guess...Never ate Tofu growing up...

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....? Thailand or India..There are some awesome Vegan Thai places in LA and Vegetarian Indian food is great

What did you last eat? Something called a Turkey Dinner Sandwich ("Turkey", stuffing, Mash, cranberry sauce, gravy) from a Vegan place called Veggie Grill....

What do you eat most often? Broccoli, oddly enough...

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them? I call Uber eats and get them whatever the hell they want !

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH? Meat, generally...The smell of pork and fish is especially vile...

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst? Not sure I have a "Best"...Worst: I have eaten at Taco Bell...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 07 Dec 2017, 12:55

The Modernist wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

You'd be landing yourself in BCB controversy then! I remember we had a long thread where people got very touchy about the use of beans in chili, you shouldn't do it under any circumstance apparently! Me, I still happily use kidney beans when doing a chilli con carne.

Good quality mince, and tons of kidney beans. It's the only way, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I would allow borlotti beans to be used as a poncier substitute at a stretch though.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 13:02

A storm is a'comin

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 07 Dec 2017, 13:04

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

Good quality mince, and tons of kidney beans. It's the only way, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I would allow borlotti beans to be used as a poncier substitute at a stretch though.

Have you had Texan chili before?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Dec 2017, 13:19

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I always leave it overnight

That's a good idea as it definitely tastes better, but I can't resist the temptation of eating it right away.

When I was little my mum would have a big pan of spag bol sauce simmering away most of Saturday for tea. I would go in when she wasn't looking and dip Mother's Pride bread into it and stuff it down me gob. It reduced in volume each time and she would look at me sat there looking at her all innocent with big globs of tomato sauce on my t-shirt.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 13:25

Oooo, spag bol and garlic bread, eh? EH?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 07 Dec 2017, 14:25

Toby wrote:Let's face it - mince is a bit minging.

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:BE HONEST!

The Best meal I've ever had was a big plate of grey NHS mince, green string beans and mashed potato followed by 3 bread rolls with pats of wrapped butter. Absolutely delicious.

This was after I'd been starved for over 48 hours when I'd had my hot, ready to blow appendix out. The saying hunger is the best sauce is so true: I feel quite affectionate about that meal as I'd been antsy about them pumping me full of heavy duty antibiotics and sitting on me as there was no theatre time. I think I sort of shouted at one of the sisters in A& E which wasn't my finest moment but I apologised the next day and she was completely understanding and very kind.

The Worst meal was tripe, in Poland.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.