some questions about FOOD goddammit

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

some questions about FOOD goddammit

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 06 Dec 2017, 21:23

BE HONEST!

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal?

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa?

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....?

What did you last eat?

What do you eat most often?

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them?

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH?

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst?
Last edited by !!VAPRANT!! on 06 Dec 2017, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Ranking Ted

Re: some questions about FUD

Postby Ranking Ted » 06 Dec 2017, 21:25

Stop laughing BCB ghillie jockos!

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 06 Dec 2017, 21:26

Does he know what FUD is?
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Dec 2017, 21:29

Fud is my favourite subject!
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: some questions about FOOD goddammit

Postby souphound » 06 Dec 2017, 21:41

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Necessity

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa? Fries, peanut butter, steak

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....? I'm fine with what we have in Quebec/Canada, but if I had to choose somewhere else, I'd probably go with France

What did you last eat? Smoked meat flavored sausages

What do you eat most often? Raisin bread toast most mornings

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them? meat or chicken pie

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH? Liver, most melons

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst? Couldn't say really.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Dec 2017, 21:55

jimboo wrote:Does he know what FUD is?

I didn't so I looked it up. I presume you're referring to the Scottish slang meaning? Anyway:

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal?

A drug, basically. The only one I'm addicted to. I know you need to eat to survive, but I try to make a point of enjoying every meal.

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa? - Any flesh from land animals. It was many years ago, though. I think I may have had some tandoori chicken in about '88. Nothing since then. I do eat peas now, however, which I used to hate as a kid. One of my greatest discoveries as an adult was that you don't have to cook into these dry, shriveled things.

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....? - Probably Japan. Tempting to say India, but I would get sick of curries after a while. And Japan has them to. I'd miss cheese, though.

What did you last eat? - A veggie burger.

What do you eat most often? - Probably sandwiches.

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them? - I'd probably get take out from the curry place next door, but if I had to cook for them, maybe a big batch of pasta.

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH? - Raw tomato. You can cook it any which way, turn it into sauce, or marinate it in anything you like and it's fine. But by itself? Yuck.

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst? - Best might be Indian takeaway in Bradford. I was told that was an average place for the area. Worst has a lot of competition, but I still remember a burger at Jack-in-the-Box when I was a kid - the patty was completely dry, probably because all the moisture had soaked into the bun. Limp lettuce and, of course, a tomato sealed the deal. I think that may have contributed to my giving up burgers a decade or so later.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 06 Dec 2017, 22:08

BE HONEST! ok.

Ever since I worked in diabetes and spent time with dieticians I think far too much about it. I don't think it's changed that much about what or how I eat... but I think about eating well. I wish I didn't.
I love a lot of food, but I think simple things done well is the best.

I never wanted eggs for breakfast, ever. Now I have them every day.

Easy, South Africa.
I dont feel I would be deprived if I couldn't have multi-cultural cuisine anytime I want which has become the norm. The dream would be to get South African Steaks, and barbequed meat, with veg and fruit whenever I wanted, for the rest of my life. Plus we do a good curry.

What did you last eat?
An aubergine thing I made.

Probably some tomato-base meal... not unlike the aubergine thing I made.

A roast dinner, with yorckshire puddings, and a chocolate cake.

Prawns and mussels and oysters.

Best was this goats cheese salad I had in France once. It was actually transcendental.
Worst was a sandwich at victoria station, in London, when I was very hungry.
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Dec 2017, 22:15

Great pleasure usually. I wish it wasn't so much.

I'm sure there are things in the former category, but I can't think of anything right now. I didn't use to like broccoli or refried beans; I like both now, in moderation (but probably not in the same meal).

China, maybe.

What did you last eat?

A grilled chicken sandwich and corn on the cob. And Dr Pepper.

Protein-wise, chicken. I don't know that there really is a "most often" for anything else.

Tuna casserole is my specialty. Maybe green peas for a vegetable, maybe a tossed salad.

Shellfish, sushi, very rare beef (I prefer well done and don't care who knows it)... I'm sure there are others.

Best? No idea! Worst? It was a bratwurst I had in Germany in 1974 - a really thick sausage with a really thick skin. As much as I've tried to suppress it, I can still remember what it cut like, what it tasted like, and the funny headache I got while trying to choke it down. I'm not a sausage fan in general (except pepperoni slices on pizza), but that was quite the worst wurst I ever had. I can remember nothing else about the meal (side dishes, etc.).

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Dec 2017, 22:18

Too many questions!

Salty snacks. If I haven't completely eliminated them (and I haven't), I've at least cut way back on my consumption. My blood pressure has gone a bit weird though, so now I'm on medication and I'm doing pretty well at trying not eat things like prepared deli foods and cashew nuts (roasted and salted) (for which I have a particular weakness).

If you could only eat food from one [region] for the rest of your life....?

The sensible part of me says Mediterranean.

But my mouth and stomach say French.

I'll compromise and take Japanese.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Dec 2017, 22:28

I enjoy it, worth spending time over preparing and sourcing it.

Red and white meat, for the last couple of years. And diet was very restricted in the 50s, so most stuff. Lots of fruit and veg were unobtainable or didn't exist.

India

What did you last eat?
Delivery curry

Toast/bread every day

A map to the nearest pub.
Seriously, 20?

Fucking beetroot

Can't say on either account
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Harvey K-Tel
Long Player

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 06 Dec 2017, 22:40

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal? - I fucking LOVE food, and there's hardly anything more disappointing than a bad meal.

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa? - My mom's home cooking. Several things have become acquired tastes over the years, but I can't think of any specific thing that I used to not eat that I do now - maybe something that wasn't available when I was young...sushi maybe.

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life....? - I'm quite happy with what's available right here at home. If I had to choose a different country, I'd probably go with France or the USA.

What did you last eat? - Falafel on a pita with all the fixings. I love those pinky/purple things! What the heck are they?

What do you eat most often? - Bread in one form or another.

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them? - A big mess of BBQ'ed ribs, potato salad and coleslaw, hell I'll even cook some veggie burgers if there are any vegetarians in the group.

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH? - Mostly offal stuff like liver and kidney. I had some sweetbreads back in October though, that were amazing.

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst? - Probably a perfectly grilled, really good steak, with some roasted potatoes and grilled veggies with a bottle of good red wine. The worst was probably some truck stop garbage from my touring musician days.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 22:44

Mostly necessity with some pleasure mixed in sometimes. I hardly ever go out for just a pleasurable meal for its own sake. 22 years of eating and feeding kids has kinda disposed of that notion.

Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal. I don't buy it, but if it was available, I'd eat it. Had a lot of oatmeal for breakfast as a kid and I'd never make it for myself.

America - even our international foods are fairly bastardized for American tastes. Maybe India, if you put a gun to my head or a samosa in my mouth.

What did you last eat?

Baby carrots and cherry tomatoes in hummus with some leftover Chinese food, beef and broccoli.

For lunch, carrots and cherry tomatoes with hummus. Soup and my breakfast of a small bowl of mash potatoes, chopped up linguica, tomatoes, jalapenos and mushrooms with Siracha on top after heating in the microwave.

I'm not making shit. I'd have pizzas delivered.

Fish and eggs by themselves. Always hated each of them.

Some of the best meals haven't been the best, but when I've been the most hungry. My buddies and I cooked some steaks over a makeshift cow patty fire when we were camping on a whitewater rafting trip.

The worst - I bought Jack in the Box tacos like five years ago because you could get four for a buck. They shoulda paid me to eat 'em.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Dec 2017, 00:53

BE HONEST!

As always!

I'm pretty food driven. I wasn't at all until my parents split up, at which point I started eating everything in sight. When I'm about an hour away from a set mealtime, I start to feel really happy.

I haven't eaten meat since I was 13. Other than that, I'm not really sure - I think when I was in my early teens I used to eat a lot more chocolatey based stuff like Penguins, Clubs, KitKats etc - I could eat a few a day - but we've had a bowl of KitKats left over from Halloween in the fridge since then and I haven't the faintest desire to eat any of them. I need to be in the mood to eat sweet stuff, I suppose.Having said that we've been watching a lot of the Royle Family recently and every time they start eating a Club I get a raging hard on.

Pakistan/India

What did you last eat?

At lunch I had a salad of cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, peppers, cashew nuts, spinach, fake turkey in a white wine vinegar and oil dressing with some chili flakes. I'm waiting for my tea to cook right now and I had gobful of peanut butter while I was waiting.

Vegetables. Vegetables probably take up 50% of my diet.

I could either knock up a huge pan of pesto pasta with roast veg or just make tray upon tray of Yorkshire Puddings with bisto gravy.

Mustard, wasabi flavoured anything, iced tea American style, whiskey, I don't care much for artichokes either, avocados.

The worst meal I ever had was an Ethiopian meal I had in a restaurant in London. I'm sure I've gone on and on about it before, but it was so bad I took it to the toilet in a serviette and flushed it down the loo as we were sat next to the kitchen which was "open plan" and the chef was grinning at us. The best - I can't remember. I did have the best breakfast tacos I ever had a month ago in the town where Baron was born. We drove down there one morning and were starving. They were fresh, plump and perfect. I took a bite and put down the taco and welled up with tears at how great they were. I almost never do that. They were grand.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Dec 2017, 01:15

What's your attitude towards food, very generally speaking? Great pleasure? Necessity? Depends on the day/place/meal? - It's a drug. If there was a safe drug to turn off my appetite I'd take it.

What did you use to eat that you don't any more? and vice versa? - N/A

If you could only eat food from one nation for the rest of your life….? USA! Hot dogs and burgers rule!

What did you last eat? - A bowl of leftover Crock Pot chicken soup.

What do you eat most often? - Eggs and toast.

20 BCBers land on your doorstep RIGHT NOW - what do you make for them? - Homemade chicken curry.

What food item(s) make you go BLEURRRGH? - None that I can think of.

What's the best meal you've ever had? and the worst? Best: Dinner served in our ryokan (Japanese inn) tatami room which most memorably had a hibachi (open grill) with skewered aji fish and yaki onigiri roasting on the open coals. Worst: Miami Mexican restaurant where I would swear I bit into a turd in my burrito. BLEURRRGH!
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 07 Dec 2017, 09:51

BE HONEST!

Of course!

In my world, there's BMW and WMW (Before and With my Wife). BMW I liked food, but I wasn't really a food person. I grew up with a mother who was cooking pasta in the early eighties, but don't remember having beef or steak at all until I went to America for the first time. We were a "puffed wheat" family - but at the same time we never had findus crispy pancakes. It was like there was a limit to what my mother would succumb to. My abiding memories of packed lunches are luncheon meat sandwiches with piccalilli. We went to Greece a few times on holiday and my mother was definitely influenced by those trips, doing things like Yuvetsi and Moussaka. But there was also roast lamb that was a pale, ghostly grey and memories of spending 10 minutes trying to chew it and surreptitiously having to spit it out into a napkin. McDonalds was exotic. Like most people back then, we rarely went out for dinner, if at all.

WMW it's like I had spent the previous 35 years of my life walking around with a paper bag in my mouth and on my head. My wife is a foodie par excellence - to give you an idea of how obsessed she is, she has spent the last month or so planning our Christmas day menu. She's even had sleepless nights over it - and the slightly amusing thing is that none of the guests coming will really appreciate it as they're not foodies at all. But that's testament to the sheer level of detail she puts into these things.

So with her, a whole world opened up to me that in all honesty I didn't know existed. Things like lemon, parsley and yoghurt. Harissa, maple syrup, butter (we always had fucking margarine when I was young), fresh pasta, good olive oil, clams, oysters, pomegranates. It's simple stuff but she can make a store cupboard surprise taste like something you've never had before and you're licking the bowl and wanting more. I really am very lucky in this respect.

And with Joe, and the fact that we are lucky enough to sit round the table each night to eat dinner, food has become a huge part of my life. She works in the industry and is always wanting to go to this or that restaurant. If you imagine someone with a BCB attitude to music transposed onto food, that's her. She can talk for hours about it. And it's not the high end stuff either - the Heston Blumenthals or El Bulli - it's just simple ingredients and no bollocks. We can see how good Joe is with food compared to his contemporaries as well because she's never cooked separate meals for him, and has put exotic stuff on his plate since he was a baby. To me it just reinforces how important food is culturally - not necessarily the food itself, but the rituals and manners that come from the process of eating with people.

I know however, that if she goes out for the evening and leaves me alone in the kitchen, I'll go out and get Fish and Chips. Because I love it. But in general, it is a huge pleasure. She's sort of transformed my attitude towards food as this great socially cohesive thing. If I were to organise a Jolly, I'd rather have it in a restaurant than in a pub - that sort of thing. You can always move about between courses, but that sort of setting is far more conducive to chat for me nowadays. The only down side is that we rarely get invited for food because I think most of her and my friends are a bit in awe of her cooking and don't want to be criticised....

Probably curry. I used to love it, and for a while, particularly in the nineties, it was pretty much what I ate if I went out in town or whatever. The last two takeaways I had from separate places were so poor that I will have it as a last resort. The quality of the meat is never particularly great in my experience and it swims in sauce.

I eat a lot of middle eastern influenced food nowadays - turkish, persian etc. Yoghurt, Mint, Parsley, Lamb, pomegranates, cumin, chick peas, aubergines. Especially in the summer with BBQ meat.

That's difficult. I love Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Vietnamese, KFC, Thai, Chinese, Turkish, Persian, Mexican - all sorts of stuff. I think probably for the range of flavours, the freshness, propensity for zinginess and health, it would be Turkish.

What did you last eat?

A soup composed of chickpeas, pearl barley, chorizo and kale. It was delicious.

We usually buy a chicken a week and make it last 2 or 3 meals.

Wraps, with avocado, yoghurt, orange and black bean stew, salsa verde, roast chicken, parsley.

Cottage Cheese. It looks fucking revolting.

Mango Ceviche in a restaurant in Puerto Natales, Patagonia. We'd been riding all day and it was our honeymoon so perhaps our tastebuds were skewed a little, but this was out of this world stunning in terms of flavour, freshness and the wine pairing.

Worst food was a spanish tapas place in Zurich. It was quite dreadful.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Dec 2017, 10:01

Bit of both and, yes, dependent on the day. During the week it leans towards the latter because my priority is very much cheapness and convenience these days as I’m trying to save as much cash as possible so budgets are tight. I still try and make it nice mind but I go to very, very little effort so I’ll maybe roast some veg and chicken, add some herbs and serve with flatbread. That sorta thing. I eat a lot of liver.

I am more obsessed with food than ever though so it does lean a lot more towards great pleasure than before certainly

Christ, shitloads. I was a very fussy eater growing up. I used to live on spaghetti on toast, chips, burgers, chicken nuggets, that sorta thing. I was still really bad up until my mid 20s really. I wouldn’t touch veg or fruit or cheese. I ate a lot of bread and oven chips. Then In my late 20s it started to change and I kind of underwent a Big Change. I’m still fussy about certain things and don’t eat much fruit and I barely touch deserts but the list of things I didn’t eat that I do now is very long.

I haven’t had spaghetti on toast in years. I used to eat a shitload of crisps and biscuits too. I still eat ‘em of course but not like I used to. Biscuits are really my weak spot. When I was on the dole a few years back I ended up eating a pack of Nice biscuits a day. I ended up a right fat cunt.

Thai? Turkish? I dunno, do the Turkish have decent cheese? Maybe Italian then

What did you last eat?

Croissant.

Nice biscuits after my tea

crisp sandwiches

deserts in general. Pongy fruit. Insects

I’ve had a couple of Michelin meals which were outstanding I have to say. I went to a 2 star place which was phenomenal. I had a curry in Cambodia which was outstanding; this heavenly, creamy coconut thing.

The worst? I did have a chicken “cutlet” at a hotel in India that made me shit the bed.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 07 Dec 2017, 10:23

I enjoy eating and think it's one of the great pleasures but too often (meaning maybe several times a week) the meals I have FAIL TO EXCITE. That's because I'm living off ready meals and sandwiches right now, and not cooking. A three-quid Tesco curry is never going to knock you out. Pimping them can help.

I don't open tins and empty them into pans any more! When I was a student it seemed to be always that.

Actually I probably eat more biscuits and cakes than I ever did. And more salads, and more cheeses.

Probably Indian.

What did you last eat?

I've just had a big milky coffee (Illy ground in the percolator/whole milk) with two M&S ring donuts.

Some kind of chicken in hot sauce with rice - like half the nation!

Chilli. But I haven't got the stuff in.

Mushrooms, most seafood. Grisly meat dishes - shitty mince you get in Greggs pies, that kind of thing. People gulp that shit down.

Impossible to recall. Pizza in Naples ten years ago was fabulous. Chinatown in London in 1993 after we'd graduated from our TESOL course was wonderful - the first time I'd done the banquet thing, and every dish was special, flavour and quality like I'd never encountered before.

I don't know what the absolute worst is, but there have been many many bad Chinese meals in restaurants in Europe.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 07 Dec 2017, 10:28

I still can't get my head around people who don't like seafood. When it's good, it's fucking glorious. Fresh mackerel is like something you ordered from God's takeaway.

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 07 Dec 2017, 10:29

Fresh mackerel I could go for.

I was thinking of anything with a shell. Or anything that writhes :)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Dec 2017, 10:36

Toby wrote:I still can't get my head around people who don't like seafood. When it's good, it's fucking glorious. Fresh mackerel is like something you ordered from God's takeaway.

Barbecued sardines!

I had some oysters at the weekend - they were great.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro