Crock Pot /slow cooker

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Crock Pot /slow cooker

Postby Jimbo » 06 Dec 2017, 10:50

Just inherited a Crock Pot from a neighbor who's moving back to N. America. We made our first dish in it: chicken soup. Dumped in water, a bunch of chicken wings and legs, carrots, turnips and greens, three onions, set the machine to LOW and then we let that baby rip! Eight hours later it wasn't done so we set it to HIGH! Four hours later it was done. Wasn't bad. Could'a done the same in a pot on the stove in a tenth the time.

What should we make next?
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Darkness_Fish

Re: Crock Pot /slow cooker

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Dec 2017, 10:53

Pulled pork. Just a pork shoulder rubbed down with a chilli/mustard/barbecue/whatever glaze, left in on low for half a day. Works a treat every time, so simple to do.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 06 Dec 2017, 11:38

From the title I thought this was gonna be a "The Jimbo thread - conspiracies gratefully accepted " round 2. :)

sorry jimbo. :(
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 16:54

I use mine every week. Last week it was some beef stew and this week soup with vegetable stock, paprika, cumin, potatoes, carrots, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and Italian sausage.

A few weeks ago, I made chili con carne and want to perfect my chili recipes.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Dec 2017, 17:35

I think slow cookers with beef are almost infallible. chicken is tricky especially at my house where I'm the only one who likes thighs (which cook up nice and moist). my fellow eaters prefer breasts which often come out dry or chewy.

I'll do teriyaki and marsala type dishes in the slow cooker or BBQ sauce - those seem to work okay. I've almost never been disappointed with BEEF in the slow cooker. you can put in a cheap cut of meat and a can of beer and it will taste like food - honest.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 17:52

Sneelock wrote:I think slow cookers with beef are almost infallible. chicken is tricky especially at my house where I'm the only one who likes thighs (which cook up nice and moist). my fellow eaters prefer breasts which often come out dry or chewy.

I'll do teriyaki and marsala type dishes in the slow cooker or BBQ sauce - those seem to work okay. I've almost never been disappointed with BEEF in the slow cooker. you can put in a cheap cut of meat and a can of beer and it will taste like food - honest.

Agreed with every point. My son prefers chicken to beef or pork, but chicken doesn't seem to absorb the other flavors as well for some reason.

We even tried goat meat in ours. Didn't turn out so good.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Dec 2017, 18:18

oh, I hear Jamie Oliver's great "chicken and milk" recipe comes out great in the slow cooker. there's lots of people online who say so anyway. I haven't tried it yet but I will. I'll bet if you sear the bird first that it'll work great.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Dec 2017, 11:39

Sneelock wrote:oh, I hear Jamie Oliver's great "chicken and milk" recipe comes out great in the slow cooker. there's lots of people online who say so anyway. I haven't tried it yet but I will. I'll bet if you sear the bird first that it'll work great.

I always use Jamie Oliver's tip of sticking a pricked lemon up the arse of a chicken when roasting. Works wonders in tenderising the meat.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 07 Dec 2017, 12:53

1 Oxtail. 1 coarsely chopped chorizo. 2 coarsely chopped carrots. 1 onion. Water. Halfa bottle of red wine. Seasoning. 8 hours.

Bob's your uncle.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Dec 2017, 18:28

With my son over at his mom's, I made chili. Three 30 oz cans of pinto beans, two lbs of stew meat, one large onion, two gloves of garlic, tomato sauce, cut up bell peppers, jalapenos, serrano chiles, cumin, chili powder and a bunch of hot sauce.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 10 Dec 2017, 20:58

sloopjohnc wrote:With my son over at his mom's, I made chili. Three 30 oz cans of pinto beans, two lbs of stew meat, one large onion, two gloves of garlic, tomato sauce, cut up bell peppers, jalapenos, serrano chiles, cumin, chili powder and a bunch of hot sauce.

would have been my recommendation, only w/o the beans and not so many chile varieties, and maybe with some barbecue sauce. (Truth is, I generally use Carroll Shelby's chili mix, which is prepared dry ingredients, then add a couple things to my taste).

Here's a decent starter recipe; then you can improvise.
Things that a fella can't forget...

German Dave wrote:It's a bit like BCB, then. Some seriously good shit and some frivolous stuff that you can take or leave.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2017, 16:30

Muskrat wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:With my son over at his mom's, I made chili. Three 30 oz cans of pinto beans, two lbs of stew meat, one large onion, two gloves of garlic, tomato sauce, cut up bell peppers, jalapenos, serrano chiles, cumin, chili powder and a bunch of hot sauce.

would have been my recommendation, only w/o the beans and not so many chile varieties, and maybe with some barbecue sauce. (Truth is, I generally use Carroll Shelby's chili mix, which is prepared dry ingredients, then add a couple things to my taste).

Here's a decent starter recipe; then you can improvise.

Always looking for suggestions. I had to pick up my son from his mom's and brought over a sample for Derek and his sister. Their mom wasn't too impressed, but the kids liked it. My son says he wants to eat it all week for dinner and my daughter even praised it. When their mom disagreed, my daughter responded, "Well, it is dad we're talking about."

Growing up, if mom wasn't home, they got either ramen, instant macaroni and cheese, ravioli from a can, or pizza toast: toast with spaghetti sauce, parmesan and pepperoni slices on it.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 11 Dec 2017, 22:15

Crock Pot: Slow Cooker (1978)

Crock Pot's single self-produced album, Slow Cooker, recorded for the private Jimbo Records in 1978, presents as many questions as it does offer musical surprises. Not much is known about this groups who were a part of the late 70s Philadelphia jazz-soul scene. The music captured for the LP spans a broad range of styles, ranging from an intense fusion work-out (the album opener, ‘Pulled Pork’), a mellow Terry Callier-esque style ballad (‘I'll Do Teriyaki’), abstract tonal impressionism (‘Bob's yer Uncle’), Afrocentric Strata East spiritual style jazz (‘Chicken and Milk’) and tough blowing hard-bop (‘Some Barbecue Sauce’). In some senses, there’s something for everyone, and the bands instrumentation of tenor and flute riding over the solid rhythm section puts the listener in safe hands to enjoy a journey to the unexpected.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2017, 22:31

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Crock Pot: Slow Cooker (1978)

Crock Pot's single self-produced album, Slow Cooker, recorded for the private Jimbo Records in 1978, presents as many questions as it does offer musical surprises. Not much is known about this groups who were a part of the late 70s Philadelphia jazz-soul scene. The music captured for the LP spans a broad range of styles, ranging from an intense fusion work-out (the album opener, ‘Pulled Pork’), a mellow Terry Callier-esque style ballad (‘I'll Do Teriyaki’), abstract tonal impressionism (‘Bob's yer Uncle’), Afrocentric Strata East spiritual style jazz (‘Chicken and Milk’) and tough blowing hard-bop (‘Some Barbecue Sauce’). In some senses, there’s something for everyone, and the bands instrumentation of tenor and flute riding over the solid rhythm section puts the listener in safe hands to enjoy a journey to the unexpected.

I bet Six String has the album.