audiobooks

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
hippopotamus

audiobooks

Postby hippopotamus » 06 Dec 2017, 00:36

Anybody else get caught in the audible trap?

Sign up for a 30 day free trial get a "free credit", forget to cancel, and while you pay your monthly subscription you get those "free credits". Then you think you should probably get one more but then you'll definitely quit. And then one more.

Anyhow, I quit it but it didn't stick.

I now have an hour of walking a day and looking for recommendations.
Anyone?
My epitaph, please

billy wrote:She took no shit. Very confident and no nonsense woman. Wears her drawers back to front these days ...

Good on her!

Jimbo

Re: audiobooks

Postby Jimbo » 06 Dec 2017, 01:03

I'm a member. I have been paying about $14 a month for about five or six years and except for a few glitches along the way I enjoy the service and the books. You are entitled to one book a month but you can claw back a bit on the company by downloading your monthly choice into your iTunes and then asking for a refund which they give no questions asked. Then you get a new credit for another book. So it's more like all-you-can-read rather than one book per month.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Dec 2017, 03:30

If you're looking for something really stupidly funny, I enjoyed this:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Dec 2017, 03:45

The Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr are addictive. Audible is good about sorting the book series into order. The Patrick O'Brian (author) Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series is there too. Oh, goodness, there are so many good choices!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2017, 09:16

I can never get as immersed in hearing someone read something as I can reading it myself. I don't really get it.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Dec 2017, 09:34

The Modernist wrote:I can never get as immersed in hearing someone read something as I can reading it myself. I don't really get it.

It works, it really does. If the reader is poor or mispronounces place names, that does distract. But I listen as I ride my bicycle to work, about an hour each way, or when I'm on the treadmill at the gym and the time flies! Maybe, however, you read weightier tomes with jargon and details needing to be reread; I can see how that might not work well in audio form. Light fiction works fine.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Dec 2017, 06:32

I like audio books, but really i suppose i mean audio drama.
I have on cd and regularly listen to this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Sceptred- ... cd+box+set

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Dec 2017, 16:49

The Modernist wrote:I can never get as immersed in hearing someone read something as I can reading it myself. I don't really get it.

I don't either. We used to listen to them as a family on road trips, but I lose track when I'm driving. I don't really like them by myself either.

On the flipside, my ex, who has a 50 minute one-way commute, asked for lots of audiobooks for Xmas.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 08 Dec 2017, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Dec 2017, 17:13

Well, I haven't read a proper book in ages. I've listened to one, sometimes two books a month for five or six years, mostly historical fiction, a ton of Bernard Cornwell, Robert Follett and Jeff Shaara. I am downloading one as I write, The Longships by Michael Chabon. Of course I couldn't do it if my lifestyle wasn't what it is with long commutes. It was our Velvis who introduced me to the idea. I also enjoy the monthly ritual of choosing which book to read.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Dec 2017, 18:28

+1

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » Yesterday, 19:17

I recently listened to Long Haul by Finn Murphy, which was ace.

Now listening to Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, who has a very simple, straightforward style perfect for audiobooks. It reminds me of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, only set in Korea and Japan.
a gibbon running freely

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » Yesterday, 22:38

The I'm Sorry, I haven't a Clue files are absolute must-haves.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.