‘Jolly Ups’

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

ENORMOUS fun
17
46%
I’ve enjoyed them, mostly
8
22%
I like to meet other BCBers but not keen on big groups
7
19%
FUCK OFF
5
14%
 
Total votes: 37

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47017
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Quaco » 05 Dec 2017, 22:47

sloopjohnc wrote:The worst part about them is because I'm from the SF Bay Area, people think I must like the Grateful Dead.

I hate the Grateful Dead.

You just haven't heard the right tapes. Santa Barbara, 12/3/72 is sublime!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47017
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Quaco » 05 Dec 2017, 22:50

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I'm not mad keen on large ish groups of people. It becomes a bit "waaah!" and if you get stuck with people you don't quite click with the night can be a right off


Quaco wrote:I don't think they're "waaah!" enough, BTW. The only fault of jolly ups is that sometimes people fail to realize the enormity of what's going on -- people you have talked with for 15 years, you are finally getting to meet -- and so people are sometimes too reserved and don't want to get into talking.


I agree with both of you. The two posts aren't contradictory, really.

Initially people are wary but then there's folk who've already met, and booze plays its part, and things can get shouty and silly. But it can be a nerve-wracking thing, meeting someone you've got to know (in many cases very well) over years, for the first time. There's so much you can say, but often it's awkward. I'm not even sure why.

True. It's a strange thing, unprecedented I'd think, except for people who have met their old penpals or something. There's years of shared experiences here, but I can barely remember what I've said, let alone what others have, so it's hard to jump in with "Do you still believe that..." or "I remember what you said about..." You're almost starting afresh, and you have the new face to contend with. If people looked more like their avatars (T.Rex albums and so on), it'd be easier!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63814
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2017, 22:50

Quaco wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:The worst part about them is because I'm from the SF Bay Area, people think I must like the Grateful Dead.

I hate the Grateful Dead.

You just haven't heard the right tapes. Santa Barbara, 12/3/72 is sublime!


:lol:

I bet.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63814
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2017, 22:52

Quaco wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I'm not mad keen on large ish groups of people. It becomes a bit "waaah!" and if you get stuck with people you don't quite click with the night can be a right off


Quaco wrote:I don't think they're "waaah!" enough, BTW. The only fault of jolly ups is that sometimes people fail to realize the enormity of what's going on -- people you have talked with for 15 years, you are finally getting to meet -- and so people are sometimes too reserved and don't want to get into talking.


I agree with both of you. The two posts aren't contradictory, really.

Initially people are wary but then there's folk who've already met, and booze plays its part, and things can get shouty and silly. But it can be a nerve-wracking thing, meeting someone you've got to know (in many cases very well) over years, for the first time. There's so much you can say, but often it's awkward. I'm not even sure why.

True. It's a strange thing, unprecedented I'd think, except for people who have met their old penpals or something. There's years of shared experiences here, but I can barely remember what I've said, let alone what others have, so it's hard to jump in with "Do you still believe that..." or "I remember what you said about..." You're almost starting afresh, and you have the new face to contend with. If people looked more like their avatars (T.Rex albums and so on), it'd be easier!


You told me I look exactly like my avatar the first Los Angeles JU I attended.

Image
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27532
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Dec 2017, 23:31

I've enjoyed them all. It gets tougher and tougher to get people to decide on a time and place, though.

The death of the JU of the Americas saddens me particularly, though my current situation might make it cost prohibitive if it's too far away.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29682
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 05 Dec 2017, 23:45

It's sleeping, not dead.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Butch Manly
Utter Cad
Posts: 51241
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Butch Manly » 05 Dec 2017, 23:51

It's a London colloquialism for a lively gathering, FFS. Get over it.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

User avatar
hippopotamus
Posts: 945
Joined: 22 Dec 2015, 11:00

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby hippopotamus » 06 Dec 2017, 00:04

It doesnt really count as a Jolly up if its just 2 BCBers meeting, does it? (what's the critical mass?) but those are the ones I really like.
I'm not usually particularly lost in crowds but I've been forever put off by larger or potentially larger meet ups.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?


Indeed, what is point?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63814
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 00:09

Minnie the Minx wrote:It's sleeping, not dead.


More like a coma.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63814
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 00:10

German Dave wrote:It's a London colloquialism for a lively gathering, FFS. Get over it.


Colloquial this, buddy.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14925
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 06 Dec 2017, 02:39

hippopotamus wrote:It doesnt really count as a Jolly up if its just 2 BCBers meeting, does it?


I don't know, when I met Griff the amount of beer I drank that night made me see a fair few more people than were actually present :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43104
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby LeBaron » 06 Dec 2017, 02:50

I’m a fan. I’ve jollied all over the US, London, The North, and even France. I don’t mind the crowds, though it can mean you don’t REALLY talk to anyone, or you miss a bunch of people. That’s why the extended JUs are best.

There’s the benefit of meeting people you’ve been talking to for a long time. And you really get a fuller picture of people who are much more two dimensional on the board. It helps that I pretty much like everyone, on one level or another.

Unfortunately, I always end up drinking too much and shouting at someone about something that’s probably really boring. Then again, that’s how I found myself getting married to a BCBer and supporting Blackburn Rovers. :shock: ;)
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40293
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Dec 2017, 03:21

:lol:
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 17723
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Dec 2017, 04:25

I've never been to an "official" jolly up but have been to a couple of impromptu gatherings and have met many individually. I've never met a BCBer I didn't like, they've all been very good company even those with dubious musical tastes ;)

There are certainly some I imagine having closer friendships with if I lived in their part of the world.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23777
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Dec 2017, 07:49

I’m not sure exactly what a proper one is like.

I met a bunch of BCB folks at Canter’s Deli in LA once - but the lack of alcohol probably made it sub-Jolly for most. But I got to meet about 10 BCBers at once. Otherwise I’ve only met a few others in groups of one or two, which was always pleasant.

My life doesn’t really free me up to travel. So unless any BCBers make it to the Pacific Northwest or happen to be in LA during one of my short trips to see family...Goat boy can feel safe knowing he won’t have to deal with me.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over
Posts: 5278
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 07:42
Location: Screwball Cultural Center

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby zoomboogity » 06 Dec 2017, 08:51

sloopjohnc wrote:
Quaco wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:The worst part about them is because I'm from the SF Bay Area, people think I must like the Grateful Dead.

I hate the Grateful Dead.

You just haven't heard the right tapes. Santa Barbara, 12/3/72 is sublime!


:lol:

I bet.


Remember: no better than eighth-generation cassette, preferably with wow and flutter. That's when you'll see the light.


Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I’m not sure exactly what a proper one is like.

I met a bunch of BCB folks at Canter’s Deli in LA once - but the lack of alcohol probably made it sub-Jolly for most. But I got to meet about 10 BCBers at once. Otherwise I’ve only met a few others in groups of one or two, which was always pleasant.

My life doesn’t really free me up to travel. So unless any BCBers make it to the Pacific Northwest or happen to be in LA during one of my short trips to see family...Goat boy can feel safe knowing he won’t have to deal with me.


That's how the LA crew rolls. Some of them will have a few beers, but you know what it's like here: wherever you go, you gotta drive, so you probably shouldn't be drinking. So alcohol doesn't get to play as much of a part here. You ever see photos of us in JU threads, being international ambassadors? Coffee cups everywhere. Total edgelords. Those other guys live closer, they may be willing to risk having a few beers, but I have a ways to go, and I usually don't drink anyway, so I hold off. We've only had two at people's homes: one at TG's a few years ago, and the pre-BCB one when San Juan and Slider came out for a few days (I don't even remember where that was, somewhere in Silverlake maybe).

I didn't know you guys met up at Canter's. I'd never heard that come up as a suggestion, but why not. That weekend I was in Houston and Baton Rouge, plane ticket bought months earlier. I'd tried to meet up with Yves (Walk In My Shadow) while he was in New Orleans, but we weren't able to make that happen either. That was almost ten years ago. Okay, there you go - next time someone asks for a suggestion: Canter's.
Image

"Quite."

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6370
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Dec 2017, 10:51

I've never met any of you here, even the people like driftin and Rayge, who I've known online for a long time. I wouldn't mind attending one, but I guess I'd be the quiet bloke at the back of the group who doesn't know anyone, and can't talk about what an E# sounds like on a velour telecaster. I did a few rateyourmusic meet ups, but they seemed to have stopped. They tended to be quite drunken affairs, which is always good for me.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23554
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Toby » 06 Dec 2017, 11:15

I've always enjoyed the ones I attended. I remember the low sussurus at a couple of the early ones at the Kings Head when there was a large collection of Jolly Up CDs on the table - akin to book or record fairs - as people picked through them, avoiding Embryonic Journey at all costs obviously. Certainly they were much more hedonistic back in the day too - the last one I attended was pretty mild compared to those back in 2002/03/04 or so. I had a gap of about 5 or so years in between them and then went to an impromptu one in September - and it was a real shame to have to peel myself away to attend a birthday party. I tend to engage in quite intense discussions about music during them - usually with the likes of Slider, Moddy (who I always enjoy discussing the ins and outs of culture), MaskedMan, Del and MacAndy. I miss that intensity of chat sometimes on music, because I really can't be arsed with doing it online anymore.

The one thing I've noticed is that everyone essentially is lovely. I've never met someone from here in real life and thought "god what a cunt" afterwards.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Dec 2017, 11:39

sloopjohnc wrote: the Grateful Dead.



Another name for the JU too.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby The Modernist » 06 Dec 2017, 12:14

Darkness_Fish wrote:I've never met any of you here, even the people like driftin and Rayge, who I've known online for a long time. I wouldn't mind attending one, but I guess I'd be the quiet bloke at the back of the group who doesn't know anyone, and can't talk about what an E# sounds like on a velour telecaster. I did a few rateyourmusic meet ups, but they seemed to have stopped. They tended to be quite drunken affairs, which is always good for me.


It's pretty easy to avoid the muso chat. I never really bother with that.