‘Jolly Ups’

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

ENORMOUS fun
15
44%
I’ve enjoyed them, mostly
7
21%
I like to meet other BCBers but not keen on big groups
7
21%
FUCK OFF
5
15%
 
Total votes: 34

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8269
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Pansy Puff » 07 Dec 2017, 23:05

Hugh wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:
German Dave wrote:.

You missed the first letter off.

Lonely by Yomp?


Because I’m worth more than you.

:lol:
I'll buy it.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 14981
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Jimbo » 08 Dec 2017, 05:07

Apropos of nothing it struck me that instead of homosexuals referring to themselves as "gay," why not "jolly?"
Gadfly

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65851
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Dec 2017, 05:20

German Dave wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
I keep meaning to attend a Northern Jolly Up but never quite manage it. Which is a shame as some of you seem very pleasant, even though you are from the North.


I'm not sure a sour-faced southern gobshite like yourself could cope with the friendliness, to be honest.


QED.

Oh and some have no sense of humour either :)
In other words an extended look into *******’s head, and it seems to have some pretty good things in it (who among us is totally free of mental garbage?) It’s nice to see that he is confident enough so he can play some blues again,I’d like to hear more.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37185
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 Dec 2017, 09:52

zoomboogity wrote:
That weekend I was in Houston and Baton Rouge, plane ticket bought months earlier. I'd tried to meet up with Yves (Walk In My Shadow) while he was in New Orleans, but we weren't able to make that happen either. That was almost ten years ago. Okay, there you go - next time someone asks for a suggestion: Canter's.



Yeah, I'm still sorry that didn't happen. It would've been a unique opportunity.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Insouciant Western People
Posts: 24653
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: The pit of propaganda

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Insouciant Western People » 08 Dec 2017, 15:03

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Whatever happened Nolamike? how's he doing?


Doing well. Hanging out with his family and enjoying his job at the law firm in Houston.

His girls are like 10 and 5 so I don't think he has much time for BCB.


CatnHat and I met him with his family in February, when we went down to New Orleans for a short holiday in between staying with Baron & Min. He very kindly invited us along to a Mardi Gras parade party being held at his friend's house, and we went to watch the parade with them, it was great fun. He's a lovely bloke, a proper gentleman.

Admirable moustache too.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
Insouciant Western People
Posts: 24653
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: The pit of propaganda

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Insouciant Western People » 08 Dec 2017, 15:06

On the subject of far-flung BCB-ers, circa 2008/09, I had a brilliant couple of mini-JUs with Angshu, in Calcutta and Bangalore.

This place really misses him and his writing.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

sloopjohnc
Posts: 62507
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Dec 2017, 16:40

Nick wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Whatever happened Nolamike? how's he doing?


Doing well. Hanging out with his family and enjoying his job at the law firm in Houston.

His girls are like 10 and 5 so I don't think he has much time for BCB.


CatnHat and I met him with his family in February, when we went down to New Orleans for a short holiday in between staying with Baron & Min. He very kindly invited us along to a Mardi Gras parade party being held at his friend's house, and we went to watch the parade with them, it was great fun. He's a lovely bloke, a proper gentleman.

Admirable moustache too.


I hope you didn't tell him that. It will only encourage him.

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8269
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Pansy Puff » 09 Dec 2017, 23:12

Speaking of Jolly Ups, I'm in the Marble Arch right now.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8269
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Pansy Puff » 09 Dec 2017, 23:20

Joke: "Ha ha. On your own. The Jolly up was yesterday."
Last edited by Pansy Puff on 10 Dec 2017, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46098
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby The Slider » 10 Dec 2017, 01:12

Geezee, Neil Jung and I went to see Neil Young a few years ago,
I guess that counts
The Yes Reduxed Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12283
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Geezee » 04 Jan 2018, 10:28

The Slider wrote:Geezee, Neil Jung and I went to see Neil Young a few years ago,
I guess that counts


I also did meet Thesiger around the same time at a Bruce Springsteen concert at the Emirates - I think there was also another BCBer there but not one I was familiar with.

I'm afraid the two concerts I've been to with BCBers have both been somewhat of a let-down! But yes, I really should have been to a proper jolly-up by now.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Insouciant Western People
Posts: 24653
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 13:31
Location: The pit of propaganda

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Insouciant Western People » 04 Jan 2018, 10:36

Geezee wrote:I also did meet Thesiger around the same time at a Bruce Springsteen concert at the Emirates.


I met Joe at a conference in Liverpool a few years ago, really enjoyed chatting to him. He was sticking around for the weekend afterwards to do some music tours, and we were down in Liverpool again at the same time to go to the Tate, so we both met up with him for a coffee as well. Lovely bloke.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12283
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Geezee » 04 Jan 2018, 10:38

Nick wrote:
Geezee wrote:I also did meet Thesiger around the same time at a Bruce Springsteen concert at the Emirates.


I met Joe at a conference in Liverpool a few years ago, really enjoyed chatting to him. He was sticking around for the weekend afterwards to do some music tours, and we were down in Liverpool again at the same time to go to the Tate, so we both met up with him for a coffee as well. Lovely bloke.


Indeed - I should add that while the Young/Springsteen concerts weren't great (unsurprising given the venues), the company was!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20555
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jan 2018, 11:10

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:Copehead? Deebank? Jeemo?



I've been to plenty, Glasow, Edinburgh and London. Also met up with Jock, Bhoy and Fartpants outwith normal jollys. I have missed a few due to unexpected kids things getting in the way.

The London one wasn't a standard Jolly. Jumper and the Bhoy were up to see the Black Crowds, I was down to see my brother play the Union Chapel. Met a good few folk that day. Frank, Bhoy, Slider, Smamf, McAndy, Yomp and that twat Griff. Apologies to anyone I missed out, some drink was taken.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20555
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jan 2018, 11:12

McBastard wrote:Jeemo has been to loads. One of his best moments was ejecting a mad woman from the 13th Note in Glasgow after she threatened to get the IRA on to him.



oh aye her.....
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby gash on ignore » 04 Jan 2018, 11:33

Darryl Strawberry wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me)


Has a date been set yet baldies?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20555
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jan 2018, 11:51

singular twat
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
gash on ignore
cultural defective
Posts: 16443
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: lording it

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby gash on ignore » 04 Jan 2018, 11:52

Aye but he really would love to meet you.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:I could of course be talking bollocks... let's see what any musicians have to say


User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22920
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Deebank » 04 Jan 2018, 12:39

Jeemo wrote:The London one wasn't a standard Jolly. Jumper and the Bhoy were up to see the Black Crowds.


:o And there was me thinking Bristol St Pauls had one of the oldest communities in the UK!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20555
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: ‘Jolly Ups’

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jan 2018, 12:54

Deebank wrote:
Jeemo wrote:The London one wasn't a standard Jolly. Jumper and the Bhoy were up to see the Black Crowds.


:o And there was me thinking Bristol St Pauls had one of the oldest communities in the UK!


:lol: bloody predictive text
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.