Haggling

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: Haggling

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2017, 16:34

Still Baron wrote:I used to haggle with prosecutors on plea deals and didn’t mind that, but I hate the thought of doing it on my own behalf. We’re gonna need a new(ish) car before long and I dread the thought of being at the car dealership where everything truly is on the table and thousands of dollars could be negotiable. Just tell me how much the fucker costs and I’ll decide whether I’m willing to pay it. :x

Not this car, but the last car I was buying, I was sitting down with the finance guy and he was trying to sell me some extra stuff. I said to my wife, "We're leaving." I had run the gauntlet - sales guy, sales manager and finance guy. I was minutes and a couple signatures from them selling a new car.

He told me to wait, came back and said, "How about we knock off $3,000 and give you free financing." I sat back down.

Remember, once you're on the lot, their objective is to keep you there. If you make any attempt to leave, they flinch.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 05 Dec 2017, 16:36

Yeah, being content to walk away does put you in a stronger position.

Not that I haggled for my car - I bought that at auction too.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 05 Dec 2017, 16:57

In some cultures a bit of haggling is expected, and the ‘asking price’ is not meant to be taken seriously. It’s just somewhere to start.

I’ll haggle with tradesmen, music (instrument) shops, car dealers, and big electricals. The sale people have some flex.
I don’t haggle with supermarkets etc.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 05 Dec 2017, 18:34

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 05 Dec 2017, 19:00

sloopjohnc wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I used to haggle with prosecutors on plea deals and didn’t mind that, but I hate the thought of doing it on my own behalf. We’re gonna need a new(ish) car before long and I dread the thought of being at the car dealership where everything truly is on the table and thousands of dollars could be negotiable. Just tell me how much the fucker costs and I’ll decide whether I’m willing to pay it. :x

Not this car, but the last car I was buying, I was sitting down with the finance guy and he was trying to sell me some extra stuff. I said to my wife, "We're leaving." I had run the gauntlet - sales guy, sales manager and finance guy. I was minutes and a couple signatures from them selling a new car.

He told me to wait, came back and said, "How about we knock off $3,000 and give you free financing." I sat back down.

Remember, once you're on the lot, their objective is to keep you there. If you make any attempt to leave, they flinch.

Yeah, being ready to walk out is always essential. I just don’t have patience for the whole endeavor.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 05 Dec 2017, 19:46

If you get the manager in say next or dfs you can and should haggle , I always offer a lower price for say a suit or a sofa, they can and do give you a discount , everything is and has a mark up , hence sales in the high street. I realised while working in Selfridges that goods for sale with a fifty per cent sale sticker still made a hundred percent profit , you only have to ask. They rely on you accepting the ticket price , oh, and ask for a discount when signing extending warranties , when you get home cancel the warranty , you have paid for the fridge etc already , job done.
You have 45 days to do this.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Dec 2017, 11:20

If you don't attempt to haggle in an antique shop for whatever it is you're wanting to purchase you are being very foolish.

Think about the items in the shop. Where did they come from? How did they get there? There are several methods:

-Estate sale
-Auction
-Swap meet
-Yard sale
-Some poor bastard needed to pay a bill so he brought ganny's precious whatchamacallit in to get a few dollars.

In none of these scenarios does the shop owner pay an actual market price for the item. It is being purchased for no more than half of its market value, typically much less. So the owner is hoping to at least double his / her money when the item is sold. It's a bit of a gamble in the sense that something may sit for a while before anyone buys it, but if the owner is clued-in on recent trends, not so much.

To summarize: they expect you to haggle. It's all part of the game. Some sellers lose respect for you if you don't make the attempt. They're addicted to the back & forth.

Haggling with faceless corporations is obviously a much trickier affair. Often it is futile, but what's the worst that can happen? They say no. That's it.

Paying cash helps occasionally for big ticket items. I got a slight discount on my Trek a few years ago doing that.
Last edited by PresMuffley on 06 Dec 2017, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 16:58

Still Baron wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Yeah, being ready to walk out is always essential. I just don’t have patience for the whole endeavor.

Last car, I made my offer online on the dealerships website. They accepted and I was there at the dealership for like half an hour.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Dec 2017, 17:45

I can be pretty stubborn so I do haggle from time to time especially if I feel someone has deliberately mislead us about how much something would be out the door. suddenly springing lots of charges on me can make me pick a number and dig in my heels.

I don't remotely enjoy it. sometimes I wish I did. one of my grandfathers seemed to like nothing better in the world than standing around smoking cigarettes and haggling. He would often, after hours of haggling, walk away empty handed and seemed to actually enjoy these times best of all.
Last edited by Sneelock on 06 Dec 2017, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 17:50

Sneelock wrote:I don't remotely enjoy it. sometimes I wish I did. one of my grandfathers seemed to like nothing better in the world then standing around smoking cigarettes and haggling. He would often, after hours of haggling, walk away empty handed and seemed to actually enjoy these times best of all.

I know people like this too. To me, it seems a waste of everyone's time, but some people get pleasure from different things. Maybe people feel like they have to go through the process to realize they didn't really need it at that price. Or any price.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 06 Dec 2017, 17:56

It's a buyers' market when it comes to car sales. Just look at all the new cars out there. Every year there's a new model. Then the dealership has to compete with all the previously owned vehicles. I'm not sure why anyone would feel intimidated by the process. If they don't give you what you want, or at least make reasonable concessions, fuck 'em.
There's only a gazillion other cars to choose from.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2017, 18:00

PresMuffley wrote:It's a buyers' market when it comes to car sales. Just look at all the new cars out there. Every year there's a new model. Then the dealership has to compete with all the previously owned vehicles. I'm not sure why anyone would feel intimidated by the process. If they don't give you what you want, or at least make reasonable concessions, fuck 'em.
There's only a gazillion other cars to choose from.

Nowadays, I certainly found that to be the case. They're practically giving 'em away.

With all the American car companies doing well, it's almost hurt them as they don't want shares or profits to go down.