Haggling

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Great Defector

Re: Haggling

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Dec 2017, 13:22

Toby wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Has to be, dann da market, wotcha, innit.

A market yes, or any kind of second hand/ reselling retail environment, but I don't think you could walk into a shoe shop and do it (to use your example)..maybe if they were having a sale.

Of course. Tightly maintained stock inventory and info pretty much stop this from happening.

My town used to be a lot smaller so there was no franchised shops so to speak. Everyone knew everyone, so you were basically chatting to someone who had the only one of two shoe shops in town. So they probably knew you and your people. Though in saying that I know a guy that works in currys for example, and even though it's a big retailer, I'd be like "here you can fire a tenner or a twenty off that big lad". They have a certain amount of discount they can give. Plus I found, the more you buy the better chance you have to get a discount.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Dec 2017, 13:27

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Interesting..the cultural difference, I had no idea. It's just not done in the UK, I don't think, even now.

I do it / have done it on occasions.

I do it all the time with things like antiques/collectibles, but do you do it in your average high street shop selling new goods..?

That's what I meant, although I tend not to go to average High Street shops, certainly not to chains. But on occasions I've haggled in record shops, bookshops, florists, clothes shops (not that I do much shopping for clothes :) ), white goods, but especially furniture and furnishings and head shops; of course, it's easier in bazaar/hippy type shops, but generally if I can get to talk to the owner, I might suggest a deal, and they will often take it, largely because they work with large margins and small volume, so have room to manoeuver if they can shift a bit of stock.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 05 Dec 2017, 13:31

Rayge wrote:I tend not to go to average High Street shops, certainly not to chains. But on occasions I've haggled in record shops, bookshops, florists, clothes shops (not that I do much shopping for clothes :) ), white goods, but especially furniture and furnishings and head shops; of course, it's easier in bazaar/hippy type shops, but generally if I can get to talk to the owner, I might suggest a deal, and they will often take it, largely because they work with large margins and small volume, so have room to manoeuver if they can shift a bit of stock.

I haggled on the house.

Last Saturday, I tried haggling my mobile phone contract which is up for renewal but the two I tried weren't having it, which surprised me.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 05 Dec 2017, 13:40

I used to haggle with prosecutors on plea deals and didn’t mind that, but I hate the thought of doing it on my own behalf. We’re gonna need a new(ish) car before long and I dread the thought of being at the car dealership where everything truly is on the table and thousands of dollars could be negotiable. Just tell me how much the fucker costs and I’ll decide whether I’m willing to pay it. :x
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Driftwood Affirmations

Postby Driftwood Affirmations » 05 Dec 2017, 13:48

The Great Defector wrote:.

Though in saying that I know a guy that works in currys for example, and even though it's a big retailer, I'd be like "here you can fire a tenner or a twenty off that big lad". They have a certain amount of discount they can give. Plus I found, the more you buy the better chance you have to get a discount.

Yes, I've heard Currys/PC World are very amenable to that.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2017, 13:52

Samoan wrote:

Though in saying that I know a guy that works in currys for example, and even though it's a big retailer, I'd be like "here you can fire a tenner or a twenty off that big lad". They have a certain amount of discount they can give. Plus I found, the more you buy the better chance you have to get a discount.

Probably better not to call them "big lad" though. ;)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Dec 2017, 13:54

I remember in Mexico, British tourists crowing because they'd managed to haggle with Mexicans selling souvenirs for a few quid. My attitude was very much to pay what they asked - and we're only talking small change here really - if the product was worth it of course.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 05 Dec 2017, 13:55

The Modernist wrote:
Samoan wrote:

Probably better not to call them "big lad" though. ;)

I've known him for the best part of 20 years. He has a lot of nicknames, big lad won't bother him.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Flower

Postby Flower » 05 Dec 2017, 13:56

The Modernist wrote:
Flower wrote:I love watching the haggling on shows such as Bargain Hunt, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and Antiques Road Trip.

Completely unrealistic of course.

All so called reality shows are pretty much b/s but I find some to be entertaining. I doubt if antique stores will allow you to bargain down prices but I've never made the attempt.

I do haggle on car prices but know that it's all set prices.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 05 Dec 2017, 13:56

I do a bit of dealing in jewellery and even in the auctions I'm open to haggle (lower incremental price). In a supermarket if something's damaged I'll offer to buy it at a lower price. In shops they're only displaying what they have for sale - the offer in the contract is when you go to buy it.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2017, 14:01

The Great Defector wrote:
I've known him for the best part of 20 years. He has a lot of nicknames, big lad won't bother him.

I was just joking about saying it in the UK.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2017, 14:05

Flower wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Flower wrote:I love watching the haggling on shows such as Bargain Hunt, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and Antiques Road Trip.

Completely unrealistic of course.

All so called reality shows are pretty much b/s but I find some to be entertaining. I doubt if antique stores will allow you to bargain down prices but I've never made the attempt.

Oh they do, for sure, as I say I do it. My 'unrealistic' comment was more for the crazy discounts they get. If you walked in to an antique shop and saw a Moorhouse vase for £400 quid and said "I'll give you twenty quid for it", they'd probably kick you out of the shop. :lol:

Flower

Postby Flower » 05 Dec 2017, 14:23

I agree about unrealistic offers and until I started watching these shows, I never thought about going into a shop and bargaining. My thoughts are that the shops are getting 'free' advertising on television and will take the 'hit' to get the shop on television or to be on television themselves.

i could be wrong but if I had a shop and it was mentioned on television, I might gamble a moderate loss on the chance of additional business.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Driftwood Affirmations

Postby Driftwood Affirmations » 05 Dec 2017, 14:26

I talked down my Broadband with BT in September for a year's contract (or so I thought) which really surprised me as Which magazine say they almost Never budge, especially if you also have a land line with them.

Then I got an @ mail yesterday to say the Broadband was going up by £2 a month from January so I phoned them this morning and got it reduced back down to the originally agreed price, and for 18 months duration. I was irate, in a cordial sort of way.
Last edited by Driftwood Affirmations on 05 Dec 2017, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 05 Dec 2017, 14:28

I'm more likely to try and get an additional item for free than negotiate the actual price. This works well at sidewalk and garage sales.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2017, 14:30

Flower wrote:I agree about unrealistic offers and until I started watching these shows, I never thought about going into a shop and bargaining. My thoughts are that the shops are getting 'free' advertising on television and will take the 'hit' to get the shop on television or to be on television themselves.

i could be wrong but if I had a shop and it was mentioned on television, I might gamble a moderate loss on the chance of additional business.

It's definitely great advertising for the shops and centres, although the stalls at fairs don't really benefit from that of course. I have heard the researchers make up the money off camera. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Dec 2017, 15:17

When we did our nurse training, one of our more elderly nurse tutors insisted that if we took our student nurse badges with us when we went shopping that we would be able to negotiate a discount.
I recall to this day how we all looked at each other in disbelief but liked our tutor and didn't want to say anything. We all had a good laugh about it after class, thinking about the Enid Blyton world that our tutor thought still existed.
Lo and behold, the next weekend me and my friend were shopping in the markets and we went into one of the specific shops the tutor had been telling us about, a secondhand jewelery shop tucked away between a bakers and a deli. My friend went up to the counter and pointed at a big emerald brooch and said to the guy behind the counter, "how much is that?" The guy looked over and said, "twenty quid." My friend reached into her bag and brought out her badge, putting it down on the counter. "Now how much is it?" she said with a professional smile.
The guy looked down at the badge, up at her, down at the badge, over her shoulder to me, and back to her.
"It's twenty fucking quid" he said.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2017, 15:19

:lol:

Robert

Postby Robert » 05 Dec 2017, 16:05

The Modernist wrote:Interesting..the cultural difference, I had no idea. It's just not done in the UK, I don't think, even now.

It is!

Late seventies I went into a London shoe shop to try on boots I had seen in the window. After the guy found out I didn’t have the 90 quid to buy them he asked what I could pay for them.

10 years ago a Havey Nichols I went in to try in a crocodile leather jacket. They don’t price their clothes. After I had
tried it on the guy told me the price was 1800 quid.
Obviously I was not going to pay that and also he started
to tslk the price down. At 1200 I became tempted but my wife dragged me out of the shop.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2017, 16:29

Samoan wrote:That's a canny strategy.

From a man who couldn't do his own dirty work.

I hate haggling. My ex was pretty good at it. I remember when we were buying our first house furniture, she offered a price on a couch, chair, coffee table and side table and they went for it because we were buying a lot.

At garage or driveway sales we held, she'd haggle with people over the cost of stuff we were selling. I had to remind her that the goal was to try and get rid of shit, not necessarily make a profit.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.