Compensation claims

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Compensation claims

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Dec 2017, 11:21

My Mum tripped on a dodgy pavement the other day and has broken her arm quite badly. The doctor at the hospital said she should definitely sue. She's 73 and shaken up by this as you'd imagine.

I know nothing about these sorta things and the council website, predictably, doesn't offer any guidance as far as I can see.

How do you go about doing this? Should she contact a lawyer first? One of those no win no fee types?

Thanks
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Compensation claims

Postby Moleskin » 04 Dec 2017, 11:36

@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Dec 2017, 12:02

Cheers!

Does anybody have experience of this sorta thing?
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Dec 2017, 14:51

Goat Boy wrote:Cheers!

Does anybody have experience of this sorta thing?

I do. Get yourself a good personal injury lawyer. If you have a friend -- or a friend of a friend -- in the legal industry, it's not considered untoward to solicit a referral. Just the opposite in fact.

I recommend this course rather than simply calling the kind of firm that advertises on the side of a bus or something, as the attorney's reputation as a negotiator plays a big part in any settlement arrived at and the "side of a bus" guys typically do not enjoy a good reputation in this respect.

These are typically contingency deals: you don't pay an hourly rate, but you split the proceeds of any settlement (I think the industry standard is that the lawyers take 1/3).

Having said all that I couldn't say this all works over there exactly the same way it does over here.

Best of luck to your mum.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.