Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Keep the monarchy?

Yes - they are personally important to me and must stay.
13%
No - they are irrelevant to me and serve no purpose. Give it a year and they won't be missed.
67%
Couldn't give a stuff either way.
20%

Total votes: 45

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby naughty boy » 28 Nov 2017, 17:11

The poll options are ridiculous and aim to skew the results.

I was going to say 'who in their right mind would vote yes to 'they are personally important to me...'?', and yet it seems we have three people who would do just that!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Nov 2017, 17:16

What would actually happen to them if youse got rid of them? Would it be whatever money, property, investments you currently have you keep but you're getting no more tax payer's money, plus your council tax is gonna be a bitch!
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Nov 2017, 17:28

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:The poll options are ridiculous and aim to skew the results.

I was going to say 'who in their right mind would vote yes to 'they are personally important to me...'?', and yet it seems we have three people who would do just that!

I didn't strongarm anyone to vote.

The options were aimed at avoiding the "let's keep them because quite a few people like them" response. I was after people who actually, themselves, positively want the monarchy. Not the 'well they seem OK' or the 'well what else could we have?' lot. A positive vote rather than the 'eh, who can be arsed to change anything' vote.

The 'no' vote was equally loaded.

The 'couldn't give a toss' vote was for people who didn't have such strong feelings one way or another.

The other option of course was no vote.

Obviously.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Nov 2017, 17:54

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:The poll options are ridiculous and aim to skew the results.

I’ve considered voting for it just to wind people up. Which is really the only reason to vote, given the loaded choices.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Nov 2017, 18:00

aye
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 28 Nov 2017, 18:01

I thought that's probably what the 3 for votes are. Predictably and unhelpfully. Particularly given none of them have made the positive 'for' argument. But that's OK, I'm really not interested in the 'better the devil you know' opinions, the 'what else is there?', the 'they don't make them like her' votes. I wanted to know if people really care to have a monarchy or are just going along with the apathetic flow. Or if there was a compelling reason to have them.

So now I know.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Nov 2017, 18:17

The Great Defector wrote:What would actually happen to them if youse got rid of them? Would it be whatever money, property, investments you currently have you keep but you're getting no more tax payer's money, plus your council tax is gonna be a bitch!

we'd take the money back off them and give it all to Radiohead with the proviso that they immediately split up and promise never to reform or release any music as a group or solo. Also they must delete everything in their catalogue and destroy the master tapes.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Nov 2017, 18:41

Thang-y wrote: I'm really not interested in the 'better the devil you know' opinions, the 'what else is there?', the 'they don't make them like her' votes. I wanted to know if people really care to have a monarchy or are just going along with the apathetic flow. Or if there was a compelling reason to have them.

And that's it, right there.

When anyone on here has been asked to give reasons for keeping the institution, besides those you mention, there are none. In fact, rather bizarrely, the proponents then quote articles by others to justify their beliefs. Which is bizarre initially but, on inspection, tells you all you need to know about how they feel about it.

It's the same with every last thread or debate I've ever had about the Monarchy. Those voting "Aye" come up completely empty when asked why they want to keep the Royals, and then get all high handed and start to talk to those who are anti as though they are being puerile... even though they invariably are at least prepared to give their reasons why they'd abolish the Monarchy.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Nov 2017, 22:56

:cry:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2017, 23:03

The Great Defector wrote:What would actually happen to them if youse got rid of them? Would it be whatever money, property, investments you currently have you keep but you're getting no more tax payer's money, plus your council tax is gonna be a bitch!

Maybe they can move in with you.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2017, 23:04

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
There are plenty of people who could do it though, have you never heard of ambassadors and diplomats?
I agree that Scottish people would be unsuited for it though, being a little uncouth.
I would be perfect for it being descended from Welsh nobility.

Don't make me laugh.

You'd end up getting blitzed on whisky and coke and doing Bryan Ferry impressions in front of the president of Ghana...

"The world may keeps us far apart but up in heaven, angel, You can have my heart..." *wink*

:lol:

I wouldn't laugh. I think it's a pretty accurate prediction.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Nov 2017, 23:08

:shock:

:oops:

;)

:cry:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Nov 2017, 00:11

sloopjohnc wrote:

Maybe they can move in with you.

Meghan can move in, the rest can clear t'fuck.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 29 Nov 2017, 09:12

Still Baron wrote:I’ve considered voting for it just to wind people up. Which is really the only reason to vote, given the loaded choices.

That's why I voted for it.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 29 Nov 2017, 09:21

Diamond Dog wrote:
Thang-y wrote: I'm really not interested in the 'better the devil you know' opinions, the 'what else is there?', the 'they don't make them like her' votes. I wanted to know if people really care to have a monarchy or are just going along with the apathetic flow. Or if there was a compelling reason to have them.

When anyone on here has been asked to give reasons for keeping the institution, besides those you mention, there are none. In fact, rather bizarrely, the proponents then quote articles by others to justify their beliefs. Which is bizarre initially but, on inspection, tells you all you need to know about how they feel about it.

It's the same with every last thread or debate I've ever had about the Monarchy. Those voting "Aye" come up completely empty when asked why they want to keep the Royals, and then get all high handed and start to talk to those who are anti as though they are being puerile... even though they invariably are at least prepared to give their reasons why they'd abolish the Monarchy.

Perhaps the reason for that is that there isn't anyone here who's particularly in favour of the monarchy. For those of us who are more or less ambivalent, it's more that we can understand the reasons why currently a majority of people in this country want to keep it, even though we may not agree with them.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 29 Nov 2017, 09:35

Nick wrote:Perhaps the reason for that is that there isn't anyone here who's particularly in favour of the monarchy.

Well it strikes me that people should be positively in favour of it en masse if we're all paying for it.

Nick wrote:it's more that we can understand the reasons why currently a majority of people in this country want to keep it

Do they though? Really? I know this board isn't reflective of the general population but I do think the majority don't really care or are just more or less apathetically going with the flow. I don't take media coverage as reflective of people's support because the media are always in need of something to report and monarchy/royals/"aristocracy" have always filled that need easily.

There is actually a good argument for that hasn't been raised here but as I could argue that too I won't bother. I'm surprised it hasn't been raised though.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Nov 2017, 09:48

Nick wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Perhaps the reason for that is that there isn't anyone here who's particularly in favour of the monarchy. For those of us who are more or less ambivalent, it's more that we can understand the reasons why currently a majority of people in this country want to keep it, even though we may not agree with them.

Of course plus the reasons why many people support them are not reasons that can be quantified and to try and frame the argument in that way is largely missing the point. They are largely emotional and rooted in identity, tradition, familiarity, that sorta thing.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 29 Nov 2017, 09:51

ooooh but ANACHRONISM

oooohhh WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY

ooooh ABOLISH THE LOT THEY ARE FUCKING PARASITES mock anger mock anger mock anger

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Nov 2017, 09:53

Fuck off you condescending cunt.

And I notice you (the chief piss taker on the thread) have still refused to give one reason for your (clearly) Pro stance.

Because you don't have one, I guess.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 29 Nov 2017, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 29 Nov 2017, 09:56

QED

Return to “Nextdoorland”