Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Keep the monarchy?

Yes - they are personally important to me and must stay.
5
14%
No - they are irrelevant to me and serve no purpose. Give it a year and they won't be missed.
23
64%
Couldn't give a stuff either way.
8
22%
 
Total votes: 36

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14321
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Moleskin » 03 Dec 2017, 18:07

Goat Boy wrote:What's the most effective way to change public opinion then?



By not talking about a subject. Keeping quiet. Going along with what our betters have decided.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64213
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2017, 18:09

You'd think so, wouldn;t you?

Just let the Monarchy carry on without their role even being questioned or quantified, let alone challenged.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

User avatar
!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14425
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 03 Dec 2017, 18:51

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50128
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby German Dave » 03 Dec 2017, 18:59

Moleskin wrote:By not talking about a subject. Keeping quiet. Going along with what our betters have decided.


Straight out of the Black Panthers handbook, that.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50128
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby German Dave » 03 Dec 2017, 19:03

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:
I was reading through the thread thinking how great it was that no-one had trotted out the same naive, adolescent viewpoints.....


:? :roll:

Have a long hard look in the mirror will you, Coan.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4018
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Dec 2017, 19:23

Goat Boy wrote:What's the most effective way to change public opinion then?

Cat memes.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14425
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 03 Dec 2017, 19:26

:)

Quite probably.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 974
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Thang-y » 03 Dec 2017, 19:31

Awwww, it's a keetan!

Image

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64213
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2017, 19:32

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:GOD SAVE THE QUEEN



We mean it, maaaannnnnn
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64213
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2017, 19:36

So nearly a week on, as far as I can see, the only viable reason for keeping the Monarchy is because the option may be worse. Nothing else apparently.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 22000
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Toby » 03 Dec 2017, 19:58

You are like a repeating klaxon.

Unintended consequences are what history is made of. Only in the reign of rulers such as Augustus has history been driven in the manner that they wanted. There are too many forces at play to say that for certain the path set on will arrive at the destination you intend.

You only have to look at what is happening right now to see this.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 64213
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Dec 2017, 20:02

Toby wrote:Unintended consequences are what history is made of. Only in the reign of rulers such as Augustus has history been driven in the manner that they wanted. .



I told you he'd invoke Augustus!

Diamond Dog wrote:
The Modernist wrote:But your examples aren't from modern democracies. I don't think you can use something from 18th or 19th centuries as being particularly relevant to what is likely to happen today.



I'm surprised he hasn't given Augustus' overthrow of the Atrebates as justification for Ms Markle's future marriage into the Royal Family, quite frankly.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 974
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Thang-y » 03 Dec 2017, 20:05

Toby wrote:Only in the reign of rulers such as Augustus ...


Gawd bless 'im.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 22689
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Copehead » 03 Dec 2017, 20:07

Samoan wrote:I wouldn't want their life.



I would
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 974
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Thang-y » 03 Dec 2017, 20:11

Copehead wrote:
Samoan wrote:I wouldn't want their life.



I would


"Off with their heads"-stylee or 'Butter my toast soldiers individually after you cut the bread, you nincompoop'-style?

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50128
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby German Dave » 03 Dec 2017, 20:23

Toby wrote:You are like a repeating klaxon.

Unintended consequences are what history is made of. Only in the reign of rulers such as Augustus has history been driven in the manner that they wanted. There are too many forces at play to say that for certain the path set on will arrive at the destination you intend.

You only have to look at what is happening right now to see this.


For a lad that reads a lot of books, you have a pretty poor understanding of what's actually going on, I'll give you that.
Last edited by German Dave on 03 Dec 2017, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 22000
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Toby » 03 Dec 2017, 20:26

So what is actually going on then?

I will await your objective overview of the current situation.
Last edited by Toby on 03 Dec 2017, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4018
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Dec 2017, 20:28

Image
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30446
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Dec 2017, 20:29

:lol:
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 22000
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Toby » 03 Dec 2017, 20:32

German Dave wrote:
Toby wrote:You are like a repeating klaxon.

Unintended consequences are what history is made of. Only in the reign of rulers such as Augustus has history been driven in the manner that they wanted. There are too many forces at play to say that for certain the path set on will arrive at the destination you intend.

You only have to look at what is happening right now to see this.


For a lad that reads a lot of books, you have such a pretty poor understanding of what's actually going on, I'll give you that.


And you as a 50 year old bloke can do a lot better than simply regurgitating rather tired Marxist dialectic.