Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Keep the monarchy?

Yes - they are personally important to me and must stay.
15%
No - they are irrelevant to me and serve no purpose. Give it a year and they won't be missed.
65%
Couldn't give a stuff either way.
20%

Total votes: 40

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Monarchy the institution. Yes or no?

Postby Deebank » 11 Jan 2018, 16:06

Charles Stuart was Scottish of course.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 Jan 2018, 16:23

Nick wrote:
Joe Baxter wrote:Actually "We" didn't have a civil war, England had a civil war.

Actually, "You" were involved heavily in the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, which is perhaps a better phrase to describe the overlapping and interrelated conflicts in the British Isles between 1639 and 1651 than the misleading expression 'English Civil War'.

And you even had your own Scottish Civil War between 1644-45, fought between the Scots Royalists and the Covenanters.

A quick precis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_in_the_Wars_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

.....and the first Celtic Ranger derby day.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Joe Baxter

Postby Joe Baxter » 20 Jan 2018, 13:51

The Great Defector wrote:
Nick wrote:
Joe Baxter wrote:Actually "We" didn't have a civil war, England had a civil war.

Actually, "You" were involved heavily in the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, which is perhaps a better phrase to describe the overlapping and interrelated conflicts in the British Isles between 1639 and 1651 than the misleading expression 'English Civil War'.

And you even had your own Scottish Civil War between 1644-45, fought between the Scots Royalists and the Covenanters.

A quick precis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_in_the_Wars_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

.....and the first Celtic Ranger derby day.

I know that Scots and Irish were involved in the English Civil War - as mercenaries as I remember. I don't know about Ireland, but we were not at war with anyone
Nick wrote:

I've never heard of the various clans and factions carry on being described as "Civil War."

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 19 May 2018, 16:14

Do threads with polls disappear? Not sure.

Bumping this one.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 May 2018, 16:17

Thang-y wrote:Do threads with polls disappear? Not sure.

They don't if the poll is open-ended, without a finish date.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”