The Guardian at its worst

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Nick

Re: The Guardian at its worst

Postby Nick » 28 Nov 2017, 09:40

The Modernist wrote:
Toby wrote:And whether you agree with the institution's relevancy in today's society or not, the simple fact is that a huge number of people in this country do view the Royal Family in a symbolic manner.

I don't think they do, although the ruling class like to think they do, because it underlines the subtext that they must somehow be led by their 'betters'.
I think many are interested in them, but in a fairly superficial "modern celebrity" way, in the same way that they might be interested in what dress Cheryl Cole wears to a premier.

I think there's something to that - in the office yesterday, it was noticeable the people who were most interested and enthusiastic about the news of Harry and Meghan's engagement were a Ghanaian student ambassador, and a colleague who's Romanian, both of whom are in their early twenties.

But maybe there's more to it among older people. I don't pay the Royals much attention, but I get the general impression when they're discussed that people rather admire the Queen and the way she conducts herself, and that increasingly the same goes for her two grandsons. I think other members of the Royal family probably aren't thought of anywhere near as well, especially the Queen's sons.

My views have changed over the past few years. I used to be a pretty firm republican, albeit not one with much personal animus towards any of them particularly, but in a referendum I'd have eagerly voted for the monarchy to be done away with. These days I'm more ambivalent.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 28 Nov 2017, 18:49

Goat Boy wrote:They're obsessed by identity politics.

I would say the role of black sportspeople in this country has done more to debunk that bogus notion than this ever will. I don't believe that this is a widely held belief either so the articles main point is largely moot. I think it's patronising.

I really can't be arsed with the Guardian these days. I think it's a rag

Always amused by the complete lack of awareness shown by right wingers accusing left wingers of identity politics as if the 20th century never happened, never fails to raise a grin
You've rendered that scaffolding dangerous

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Nov 2017, 19:39

German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 28 Nov 2017, 22:36

Nick wrote:
But maybe there's more to it among older people. I don't pay the Royals much attention, but I get the general impression when they're discussed that people rather admire the Queen and the way she conducts herself, and that increasingly the same goes for her two grandsons. I think other members of the Royal family probably aren't thought of anywhere near as well, especially the Queen's sons.

Which is interesting because she is a sour-faced old bat who barely raises a smile even when she's being handed a posy of flowers by a child.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 28 Nov 2017, 23:16

Botox does that to you.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Nov 2017, 23:27

I'd be the same after the 1000th time.

She's just keeping it real
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 28 Nov 2017, 23:29

jimboo wrote:Botox does that to you.

Have some respect, please.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 29 Nov 2017, 10:08

Goat Boy wrote:Image

With Coan with the adorable selfies I see

I have to say you both look just as I imagined

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 01 Dec 2017, 08:15

I honestly can't remember the last Guardian piece I read in its entirety. More often than not, I'm guilty of jumping straight to the comments as they tend to be far more entertaining than the actual articles. It's always interesting to me which articles they decide to open for comments too. Well, interesting enough for the brief time I'm sitting on the pot.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 01 Dec 2017, 17:58

PresMuffley wrote:I honestly can't remember the last Guardian piece I read in its entirety. More often than not, I'm guilty of jumping straight to the comments as they tend to be far more entertaining than the actual articles. It's always interesting to me which articles they decide to open for comments too. Well, interesting enough for the brief time I'm sitting on the pot.

Me too :)

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Yesterday, 05:50

Reread the thread and I am pleased to be the first to post this link to the OffGuardian. The top stories as of this post are: The Litvinenko inquiry – a legal critique and alternative view, The Revolt Against Reason: Jonathan Freedland’s latest polemic broken down, North Korea is Not a Threat to the US, Google hiring 10,000 reviewers to censor YouTube content, Is net neutrality a scam?, #blamePutin continues to be the media’s dominant hashtag, Monbiot, Syria and Universalism, "Conspiracies don’t happen….here.” …

My kind of info! :D

https://off-guardian.org

Another favorite alternative UK news site of mine is UKColumn at https://www.ukcolumn.org. At the top of its website is this headline: Imminent risk of EU control of British defence procurement, industry and training. I listen its four episodes per week newscast and EU subduction of the British military is a frequent topic, as is fracking in the north of England, un-prosecuted and under reported pedophilia, and the lackluster and lying BBC.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom