Same Old Scene

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Same Old Scene

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Nov 2017, 05:22

Darryl Strawberry wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:My conjecture is that this almost certainly happened. But the notion that it’s a basis for the decision is not only wrong but imo, insulting.

Fair enough. I do think it would be in the board's interest to know if it was Coan who set up the fake GM account, as it wasn't just parody but nasty. This is why I've often said that the admins were complicit, because they know the identity of the aliases doing things such as posting as GM.
See, if it isn't Coan, I will have to retract everything and post a huge apology. Which I will do once I know who did create the account.

Normally I try my best to not be combative, and I was actually responding to Goat Boy rather than you, but since you brought it up, and since it's applicable -

You're really making a great many leaps in logic here. First of all, the notion that it's in "our" interest to know who created the fake Googa account. Trust me on this, it really isn't. It's irrelevant.

As for the notion that the fake Googa account had anything to do with the real Googa being banned, I guess I can't prove that it didn't, since it was not discussed with me (which, as I've often said, is the way I prefer it). So let's just say it did. It is still not my job as a mod, to be part of an advisory committee (I wouldn't have taken the job if I thought that was part of it, as I find such duties quite distasteful - though I don't mind banning spammers, which IS my job and is frankly mostly what I do). And yes, I suppose I could research who controls what alias if I chose to. So could Jethro. So could any of us. And assuming that Jeth needs us to tell him the difference between the real and fake googa account is, as I say, insulting. To him AND to us.

As I remember, you presented it as if you had figured out that the fake account was Coan. So go ahead and persist with that notion. I have no interest in dissuading you because I don't happen to think it makes me "complicit" in anything either way. My opinion is meaningless as far as who gets banned and who doesn't. As is Coan's and as is DD's.

As Moddie said, go ahead insult anyone you want to insult. There's no board rule that I'm aware of stating who you have to like and whose side you need to take when these inevitable dramas flare up. But it's not your place on any level to tell me how I should feel, or how I should respond. And it will get you precisely nowhere. Even if I wanted to have an influence on who is banned and who isn't, I don't.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Nov 2017, 06:11

Goat Boy wrote:The boards interest? Or your interest, K?

C'mon man, let's not have a BCB snoopers charter

I absolutely agree with your sentiment.

I'm assuming you meant to include Adam in it too, as it is he who is making the wild claims around which poster (ie- me) contacted which admin (both Jethro & The Prof, apparently) about getting him banned. And then pm'ed me twice to 'get me to fess up' too.

Is it okay to throw that kind of accusation around - I wonder what the board thinks?
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 27 Nov 2017, 06:42

Well, I'm not after us snooping after all aliases. But I could easily be made to look a fool if the admins told us who created the fake GM account.

Bent Fabric wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:Coan...manage(d) to corral a number of posters against GM.

Speaking for myself, I would argue that a great deal of Googa's hard toil is now being falsely accredited to Coan.

:lol: You have me there.
toomanyhatz wrote:
As Moddie said, go ahead insult anyone you want to insult. There's no board rule that I'm aware of stating who you have to like and whose side you need to take when these inevitable dramas flare up. But it's not your place on any level to tell me how I should feel, or how I should respond. And it will get you precisely nowhere. Even if I wanted to have an influence on who is banned and who isn't, I don't.

Well, I for one sure am glad skope has returned.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 27 Nov 2017, 08:15

toomanyhatz wrote:There's no board rule that I'm aware of stating who you have to like and whose side you need to take when these inevitable dramas flare up.

All hail the ignore function

Image*

*No offence to the folically-challenged

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Nov 2017, 08:24

Thang-y wrote:All hail the ignore function

Never used it, never will.

I've only ever had serious, lasting issues with two people in my entire history here on the board - well past the decade marker, I might add - and both were people who occasionally posted intelligently on subjects of interest. I'd rather put up with the annoyance to get that. (Though there is one person that I must say, on balance, that I don't miss in the slightest.)

Internal ignore function is of course another matter, and I use it often. Certain posters on certain subjects I know to tune out.
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 27 Nov 2017, 08:43

As the voice of the follically challenged I back the board's desire for peace, whatever the hair, and wholeheartedly back the ignore function.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Nov 2017, 12:43

Diamond Dog wrote:

I'm assuming you meant to include Adam in it too, as it is he who is making the wild claims around which poster (ie- me) contacted which admin (both Jethro & The Prof, apparently) about getting him banned. And then pm'ed me twice to 'get me to fess up' too.

Is it okay to throw that kind of accusation around - I wonder what the board thinks?

K is talking about outing aliases and in doing so making admins who didn't take action "complicit" in what he believes led to Googa being banned.

I think outing aliases is crossing a line. Skope may be making claims but he is not asking for that.

Skope can say what he wants. Nobody can prove anything obviously but you and Skope can do your little BCB dance.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

kewl klive
cultural defective

Postby kewl klive » 27 Nov 2017, 12:56

Can someone tell me what Goat has just posted, I have him on ignore.
Lonely Kal wrote:John posted a picture of me which he'd doctored nastily.

Ho Ho Hodgson wrote:I know you think I pick on you.

Baldy K wrote:I'd love to meet Jeemo (no idea if he'd like to meet me).

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 27 Nov 2017, 12:59

Jethro is just going to ban Scope whenever it becomes obvious it's him. He usually makes 5 innocuous posts to slip under the admin approval thing and then lets rip. and then gets banned.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Nov 2017, 13:00

Goat Boy wrote:K is talking about outing aliases and in doing so making admins who didn't take action "complicit" in what he believes led to Googa being banned.

I think outing aliases is crossing a line. Skope may be making claims but he is not asking for that.

The bit about aliases I agree with, fair point.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Nov 2017, 13:34

The Prof wrote:Jethro is just going to ban Scope whenever it becomes obvious it's him. He usually makes 5 innocuous posts to slip under the admin approval thing and then lets rip. and then gets banned.

This time, though, it was obviously him with his second post, which wasn't remotely innocuous.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 27 Nov 2017, 14:01

Heads will roll!

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 27 Nov 2017, 15:13

Roxy music were shit.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 27 Nov 2017, 16:41

The Great Defector wrote:Roxy music were shit.

Was 'I got you, babe' playing on your radio alarm this morning. And were you out of hot water?

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 27 Nov 2017, 16:50

:lol: but seriously, Roxy music were shit.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 27 Nov 2017, 17:00

The Great Defector wrote::lol: but seriously, Roxy music were shit.

Be brave enough to say that on the YY thread, instead of skulking in NDL

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Nov 2017, 17:14

toomanyhatz wrote:There's no board rule that I'm aware of stating who you have to like and whose side you need to take when these inevitable dramas flare up.

Likewise with respect to knowing or caring anything about it, presumably. There are only so many hours in a day, right?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 27 Nov 2017, 17:58

Goat Boy wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

K is talking about outing aliases and in doing so making admins who didn't take action "complicit" in what he believes led to Googa being banned.

Skope can say what he wants. Nobody can prove anything obviously but you and Skope can do your little BCB dance.

Outing an alias - singular.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Nov 2017, 18:06

Darryl Strawberry wrote:Outing an alias - singular.

For what purpose?

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 27 Nov 2017, 18:11

toomanyhatz wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:Outing an alias - singular.

For what purpose?

Like I said before. This was no mere parody but a nasty, cowardly attack on another poster. It had the result of confusing people and thinking GM had started some of those threads. I accept Bent Fabric's point about GoogaMooga not needing any help, but this fake account (I don't want to call it an alias) was a long way from Lol Imho and the Emoticons or Peter Noone.