Free Bleeding Politics

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Free Bleeding Politics

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Nov 2017, 21:00

Anyone see this?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ail-radnor

A curious mixture of useful information and opinions. Useful and encouraging information about the distribution of sanitary protection being important and hopefully free of embarrassment and multiple other issues.

I'm puzzled by the constant references to people being told their menstrual blood is disgusting though. I've met one man in my life who thought menstrual blood was horrendous. I met a couple who felt a bit faint when they saw it as they didn't like blood - but they weren't revolted.

I am sure the advertising industry has traditionally avoided showing menstrual bloood in adverts, using blue dye. But it also doesn't show shit filled nappies and great globs of sputum or piles of vomit. I don't see that 'misogyny' plays a part and get irritated by how easily that word slips off the tongue without a good deal of thought first. There is plenty of misogyny in the world as it is without having to toss it into your conversation like a devastating crouton into a salad to end all further comment.

Men or women - are you revolted by periods and menstrual blood? I can't believe I'm the only person here who can't relate to some of the more fervent discussion that goes on around this.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Free Bleeding Politics

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Nov 2017, 21:36

Periods happen to half the population.

False! :)

It's never bothered me, at least not any more than any other bodily secretion. Being blood though, it does stain, which is a nuisance.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2017, 21:36

I would say I've been less put off by it than some of the women I've been intimate with.

It isn't a subject that's really come up much otherwise, so I don't know how it goes in general society.

BTW, when you inevitably form your punk band, you might consider "Devastating Crouton" as a band name. Or at least a b-side title.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Nov 2017, 21:41

Snarfyguy wrote:

It's never bothered me, at least not any more than any other bodily secretion. Being blood though, it does stain, which is a nuisance.

Exactly! I don't care who sees my blood but I'm fucked if I'm ruining thirty pairs of knickers a year! And sofa cushions, carpets and so forth

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Nov 2017, 21:42

The only time I can recall being revolted was when that lass from L7 threw a used tampon in the crowd.

I thought that was seriously not cool
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Nov 2017, 21:42

Charlie O. wrote:I would say I've been less put off by it than some of the women I've been intimate with.

It isn't a subject that's really come up much otherwise, so I don't know how it goes in general society.

BTW, when you inevitably form your punk band, you might consider "Devastating Crouton" as a band name. Or at least a b-side title.

:D

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Nov 2017, 21:43

Goat Boy wrote:The only time I can recall being revolted was when that lass from L7 threw a used tampon in the crowd.

Misogynist!

Dr Markus wrote:

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 13 Nov 2017, 21:45

Well what do you expect? He doesn't call himself Goat Girl, I notice.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 13 Nov 2017, 21:46

Goat Boy wrote:The only time I can recall being revolted was when that lass from L7 threw a used tampon in the crowd.

That hit the person in front of me in the face! 5 minutes later a bottle of piss hit him on the head.. fun times!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Nov 2017, 21:47

And he had to listen to L7!

B'dum tsch!
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Nov 2017, 21:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Exactly! I don't care who sees my blood but I'm fucked if I'm ruining thirty pairs of knickers a year! And sofa cushions, carpets and so forth

There was some kind fracas here when a company that makes "period-proof" underwear did a marketing campaign using ads on/in the subway. I gather it was felt to be a topic unsuitable for public airing (which I suppose ties into the thrust of the article at hand). It wasn't as though the ads depicted soiled underwear, even.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 13 Nov 2017, 22:15

A close girlfriend of mine, second generation Greek Cypriot and brought up Greek Orthodox once told me women aren't supposed to go into a church when they're menstruating, according to their tradition.
Matt Harringay wrote:European sweets invading our culture.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Nov 2017, 22:18

I particularly like the big black pudding clots that form near the periods end.
persona non grata among those who worship at the altar of conventional wisdom

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2017, 22:21

Following on from my previous comment, I was once at a girlfriend's house and we were sitting on the sofa with her straddling me - just talking, I think, though there might have been a little snogging involved. At some point she got up, and there were blood stains on my trousers, in the crotch/upper thigh area. I said "uhhh, Kim?" (for that was her name) and showed her - she was mortified. She had me take 'em off and she put them in the washer with lots of bleach. When they came out of the dryer she handed them to me proudly - no stains - but then I pointed out that the trousers had been grey and now they were white, and she was even more mortified. Notwithstanding that I was laughing about the whole thing, she honestly thought that I was going to leave her over this!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Nov 2017, 22:27

Jimbo wrote:I particularly like the big black pudding clots that form near the periods end.

:lol:

Comment of the day

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 14 Nov 2017, 09:30

I remember on a late night talk show a feminist type said that men who didn’t go down in their girlfriends during a period were sexist/misogynist.

Do lesbians go down on each other during this time?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Nov 2017, 09:50

A "feminist type "?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Nov 2017, 10:16

Fonz wrote:I remember on a late night talk show a feminist type said that men who didn’t go down in their girlfriends during a period were sexist/misogynist.

Nom nom nom!

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 14 Nov 2017, 10:33

Belle Lettre wrote:A "feminist type "?

Yeah. You know. A bit scruffy. Short hair-looked like she cut it herself.

TBH I can’t remember much about her beyond this weird idea mentioned above. It was a long time ago.

But she was definitely a ‘feminist-type’ (before we had the panoply of other words to label people with)

:shock:
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 14 Nov 2017, 11:12

Fonz wrote:I remember on a late night talk show a feminist type said that men who didn’t go down in their girlfriends during a period were sexist/misogynist.

As someone who has inadvertently worn the Dolmio grin, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone who wasn't specifically into that sort of thing. Not because I'm a mysoginist or any of that nonsense, but just the reason that I don't like tonguing other people's blood.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?