35 years ago today...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist

Re: 35 years ago today...

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 11:23

Toby wrote:It reminded me that Mike was a total dick. I know his character has to be offset against the anarchism of Rik and Viv, but god, there's an argument for worst sitcom character ever. Dreadful actor too.

He was easily the weakest of the four. Part of the problem was that while the other three stereotypes - a punk, a hippie, a pretentious wannabee radical - were easily recognisable as student types of the time, Mike's character- a kind of cockney spiv -wasn't really. His presence seemed incongruous. He was definitely less well defined than the rest. The other problem was the actor playing him brought nothing to the table; choosing to underplay it to the point where he just got overshadowed by the others. Maybe the character could have worked had it been played with the kind of lary, in your face attitude Harry Enfield gave Loadsamoney.

*fun and open field*
hounds people off the board

Postby *fun and open field* » 09 Nov 2017, 11:30

Anyway I'd recommend you watch the whole lot again, if you have time. I did, earlier this year, and really enjoyed it all. Much more than I expected to, actually (I wasn't exactly a huge fan at the time, altho' sometimes it seemed it was all we talked about at school!).

It might take a bit of time to get used to, but it's interesting how you can actually warm to these characters, as unlikeable as they are. And I do think the 'dated' thing is overstated (the odd mention of Thatcher/nuclear war aside) - it's more that it's just not like most other comedies.
Darryl Strawberry wrote:I quite like Sweet Child. Great wah-wah on the solo.

I'm off to a Governors' meeting. I'll add a clue tonight if we make no progress

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Nov 2017, 11:35

I think Mike juxtaposed rather well with the loose character of the three others- it did baffle me how he would be able to get his way via blackmail and all sorts of subterfuge and yet still hung out with a bunch of losers in a total dump.
Still rate him highly just for nailing his legs to the kitchen table....

TYO was another great example of classic character humour, playing off the various traits of each of them the maximum effect. And some of the lines! 'Open up, it's the pigs....'

Aged badly? Bleh.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 11:40

It's seriously of it's time.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 12:34

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:Anyway I'd recommend you watch the whole lot again, if you have time. I did, earlier this year, and really enjoyed it all. Much more than I expected to, actually (I wasn't exactly a huge fan at the time, altho' sometimes it seemed it was all we talked about at school!).

It might take a bit of time to get used to, but it's interesting how you can actually warm to these characters, as unlikeable as they are. And I do think the 'dated' thing is overstated (the odd mention of Thatcher/nuclear war aside) - it's more that it's just not like most other comedies.

It strikes me that one of the reasons it's dated is that the writing wasn't that strong -very broad brush and a bit obvious. At the time, the anarchic energy of the performances tended to override everything, but as time makes that less groundbreaking, other, weaker, aspects of the show become more apparent.
Still I'll give an episode a go later ( although there's no way I'm watching all 20 episodes again!) and see what I think.

*fun and open field*
hounds people off the board

Postby *fun and open field* » 09 Nov 2017, 12:55

The writing might not have been that strong and the characters were little more than caricatures, yeah. I don't necessarily look for those things in the comedy I like, I suppose.

Nevertheless the performances, the ideas, the manic nature of the thing all keep it kicking along with the kind of colour and life you rarely see in comedy - and I don't think we've seen since.

If you want to call something 'dated' that these clowns were involved in, I suggest you watch one of those dreadful Comic Strip Presents... episodes. One or two still raise a smile (was it Mr. Jolly Lives Next Door?) but mainly they're actually quite painful to watch.
Darryl Strawberry wrote:I quite like Sweet Child. Great wah-wah on the solo.

I'm off to a Governors' meeting. I'll add a clue tonight if we make no progress

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 12:59

When was the last time the Beeb repeated it?

I don't recall it being on telly since I was a kid
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:03

It's on Dave or comedy central all the time.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:05

Oh I don't watch that shite.

I just don't recall it ever being on after the late 80s
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:11

We're about the same age, I think, I would have been about 8 or 9. I barely remember yesterday, nevermind when I was 8 or 9.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Nov 2017, 13:18

I remember thinking it was awesome, a complete breath of fresh air, and just completely different to every other TV comedy. But I was only 7 at the time, so I can't believe I would've watched it at that point. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:20

The Great Defector wrote:We're about the same age, I think, I would have been about 8 or 9. I barely remember yesterday, nevermind when I was 8 or 9.

A mate had it but that was on VHS. I think they were taped off the telly.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:23

Goat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:We're about the same age, I think, I would have been about 8 or 9. I barely remember yesterday, nevermind when I was 8 or 9.

They had a video recorder? in the late 80's? posh bastards.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:27

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

They had a video recorder? in the late 80's? posh bastards.

By the late 80s they were pretty common, no?

Perhaps not in Ireland obviously being, er, Ireland ;)

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Nov 2017, 13:29

We didn't have a video recorder until 1992.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:34

Christ

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:34

Goat Boy wrote:
By the late 80s they were pretty common, no?

Perhaps not in Ireland obviously being, er, Ireland ;)

Well actually....................yeah :(

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:35

Toby wrote:We didn't have a video recorder until 1992.

Think we were later, and both my parents had good jobs at the time, Garda and Nurse. Guess they were just tight.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Nov 2017, 13:42

Goat Boy wrote:Christ

Yep, resolutely lower middle class.

I think having a Sky subscription has replaced the Video as the home entertainment marker of aspiration nowadays. They were really expensive (£300+) back then.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:51

They would be a few hundred probably

Maybe I just nagged my folks long enough so they coffed up