Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 09 Nov 2017, 08:56

...this was first broadcast.

Good, wasn't it?
GoogaMooga wrote:i am steeped in music history, my friend

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: 35 years ago today...

Postby Toby » 09 Nov 2017, 09:15

It was the first program I was allowed to stay up past 9pm to watch. I remember the glee with which we all talked about that night's episode at school the next day.

However I don't think it's really aged that well. All of their caricatures don't seem to have that timelessness archetype that all the great British sitcoms have.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 09:27

It was a breath of fresh air at the time, but I agree with Toby that it's aged quite badly. Maybe you have to be a young teenager to appreciate it, it's not exactly sophisticated humour (not that all humour has to be sophisticated to be funny).

Dr. E. PLATE
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 09 Nov 2017, 09:31

Toby wrote:All of their caricatures don't seem to have that timelessness archetype that all the great British sitcoms have.

I'd agree, but I don't think it's about that. They wanted to break away from that kind of thing.

A lot of it is still very funny - and it's mainly to do with the energy with which it's all delivered. It still looks much faster than most comedies. And because it was done in front of a live audience, you've got that extra - what? edge? Anyway it's still thrilling.

One other thing that I don't think is usually pointed out is that there's so many different types of comedy in there - satire, slapstick, surrealism. And they worked together so well. Rik Mayall especially was one hell of a talent.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 09:44

It seems very puerile and too exaggerated to me now, and quite hard to watch as a result. But I'll be interested to see if many agree with you or what the views are of those who didn't grow up with it at the time. Perhaps I'm being harsh on it.

Darryl Strawberry

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 09 Nov 2017, 09:52

I already liked Mayall from his Kevin Turvey character but I fell in love with him here. Whilst it's may not have aged well, Mayall is a force of nature throughout, utterly brilliant. And Alexi Sayle is great too.

Some episodes are utterly iconic. Think of Bambi (S2 ep 1I think). Packed with brilliant comedians and with Motorhead stuck in the middle.

I will always love The Young Ones.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 10:00

I watched the first 5 minutes. I wasn’t impressed. Is it like Bottom then?

I don’t like comedies filmed in front of studio audiences. It just makes it more artificial as they adjust timings and so on.

I do remember liking the scene where somebody dressed as an elephant dances to Stop In The Name of Love?
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Dr. E. PLATE

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 09 Nov 2017, 10:04

Goat Boy wrote:I watched the first 5 minutes. I wasn’t impressed. Is it like Bottom then?

I prefer Bottom 'cos there's a kind of melancholy to the whole thing which gives it more weight, or something. And it's probably funnier, all in all.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Nov 2017, 10:24

The one thing it did remind me of was that there were shitloads of houses like that back then - vast Victorian houses in North and West London turned into grotty student digs. All those places are gone!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 10:45

Thank the Lord for gentrification!
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Nov 2017, 10:50

Darryl Strawberry wrote:I already liked Mayall from his Kevin Turvey character but I fell in love with him here. Whilst it's may not have aged well, Mayall is a force of nature throughout, utterly brilliant. And Alexi Sayle is great too.

Some episodes are utterly iconic. Think of Bambi (S2 ep 1I think). Packed with brilliant comedians and with Motorhead stuck in the middle.

I will always love The Young Ones.

Ditto
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 10:53

Is that just nostalgia though?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Nov 2017, 10:59

I don't think I've seen the first episode since it was first broadcast (unlike the Young Ones we didn't have a video) and I really enjoyed it, which surprised me a bit.
I still think Alexei Sayle is the funniest.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Dr. E. PLATE

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 09 Nov 2017, 11:02

He was wonderful.

The whole thing has so much spirit. Certain elements are dated, yes, but lots of it isn't. I suppose you either like that frantic comedy or you don't. I certainly prefer it to The Two Fucking Ronnies

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Nov 2017, 11:06

It reminded me that Mike was a total dick. I know his character has to be offset against the anarchism of Rik and Viv, but god, there's an argument for worst sitcom character ever. Dreadful actor too.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 11:11

The Modernist wrote: Maybe you have to be a young teenager to appreciate it.

I was 34 and I loved it.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Dr. E. PLATE

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 09 Nov 2017, 11:12

Toby wrote:It reminded me that Mike was a total dick. I know his character has to be offset against the anarchism of Rik and Viv, but god, there's an argument for worst sitcom character ever. Dreadful actor too.

and they got him back for Bottom!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 11:16

Toby wrote:It reminded me that Mike was a total dick. I know his character has to be offset against the anarchism of Rik and Viv, but god, there's an argument for worst sitcom character ever. Dreadful actor too.

Peter Richardson was down to play him but decided to concentrate on The Comic Strip films, which started to be aired a few days before The Young Ones. He would have made a better fist of it, and wasn't too old for the character.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 09 Nov 2017, 11:16

I was just going to say that!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 11:21

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:I prefer Bottom 'cos there's a kind of melancholy to the whole thing which gives it more weight, or something. And it's probably funnier, all in all.

Not even remotely, in my view, largely because of all the violent slapstick, less surrealism, and very little wit. I found it a disappointment, although not as much as Filthy
Rich and Catflap. And I always thought that Ade was a little bit rubbish, a more limited shtick than Mayall, who was by far the pick of the bunch as a comic creator and performer (although Jen Saunders is not far behind), not counting Alexei, who basically indulged his (very fine) stand-up persona rather than actually 'acting'.