Antonio Carlucio RIP

Postby Thang-y » 08 Nov 2017, 17:37

Inspired many a foraging and a meal ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 44241.html

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Antonio Carlucio RIP

Postby Toby » 08 Nov 2017, 17:54

A dreadful old goat with a horrendous streak of narcissism.

Dr. E. PLATE
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 08 Nov 2017, 17:59

:lol:

I saw him on Saturday morning TV just a few weeks ago. I liked him. I got the impression his restaurants were a bit shabby, tho'.
GoogaMooga wrote:i am steeped in music history, my friend

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 08 Nov 2017, 18:05

Toby wrote:A dreadful old goat with a horrendous streak of narcissism.

Is that your opinion from seeing him on the TV or is that personal knowledge?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Nov 2017, 18:08

Carluccio's can be a bit hit and miss - mainly because some of them are sometimes so completely overrun by families it can get quite exhausting - but for me the Penne Giardiniera is a religion, one of my favourite dishes, period. If i want to splash out at lunch, I'll sometimes go on my own to a Carluccio which is close to my work, read a book, write in my journal or whatever, have a glass of wine, have my Giardiniera and it's a moment of real pleasure. RIP.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 08 Nov 2017, 18:09

Thang-y wrote:

Or did you not read a book about him? ;)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 08 Nov 2017, 18:09

Bucolic Old Sir Henry knew him quite well I believe. I always enjoyed watching him on TV

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 08 Nov 2017, 18:13

He sold the restaurant chain some time ago. And how it's taken off is hardly his fault (though the way the tables are set ... does lend itself to quick dining like that). His approach to food still guides what's available - simple honest tasty Italian food. I like it.

The man was passionate about food, eating well, mushrooms .. seemed to have a twinkle in his eye. I suspect what Toby sees as narcissism is what I see as Italian passion (and opinion) about food.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Nov 2017, 18:28

I only saw him on tv a few times, I don't know much about him, but I liked him. I liked his passion, as has been said.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 08 Nov 2017, 18:41

Thang-y wrote:

The latter.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 08 Nov 2017, 19:30

OK. But I don't know what it is you're talking about so I still like him.

And as I say he inspired plenty of my good eating, not to mention foraging. And I enjoyed his passion for food. I'm sorry he's died.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Nov 2017, 19:37

I worked at Carluccio's about 9 years ago. It was a horrible job at a horrible work place. That's my input for this news.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 08 Nov 2017, 20:33

Yeah, more criticism about the restaurant. I've looked the chain up on wiki

"In 2010 the company received a takeover offer from the Landmark Group, a Dubai-based enterprise, valuing Carluccio's at £90m. The transaction was approved by the shareholders"

and

In 2007 it was reported that the company paid waiting staff less than the UK minimum wage,[10] and expected staff to make up the remaining remuneration through customers' tips.

Last time I went to a Carluccio's the young waiter was obsequious and too obviously fishing for a large tip. Which was offputting.

It isn't the man, though, is it. Seems he struggled with depression through his life - never got over the death of his younger brother. And was involved in charities such as the Woodland Trust, and homeless charities.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Nov 2017, 09:33

Thang-y wrote:Yeah, more criticism about the restaurant. I've looked the chain up on wiki

"In 2010 the company received a takeover offer from the Landmark Group, a Dubai-based enterprise, valuing Carluccio's at £90m. The transaction was approved by the shareholders"

and

In 2007 it was reported that the company paid waiting staff less than the UK minimum wage,[10] and expected staff to make up the remaining remuneration through customers' tips.

Last time I went to a Carluccio's the young waiter was obsequious and too obviously fishing for a large tip. Which was offputting.

It isn't the man, though, is it. Seems he struggled with depression through his life - never got over the death of his younger brother. And was involved in charities such as the Woodland Trust, and homeless charities.

Also, it is 10 years ago. I'm not saying it's definitely better now - i don't know - but if the latest bad data is coming from 2007 I don't know that it has that much relevance. But yes of course the restaurant trade isn't exactly know for their great working standards (eg. Byron burger last year...).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON