"A Game Made by Adults to be Played by Adults"

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Showing Women Being Abused and Beaten to Promote this game is...

FINE. it's only a game.
No votes
Maybe OKAY - could use a little more context.
50%
WRONG - what the hell?
25%
SPLUNGE!
25%

Total votes: 4

Sneelock

"A Game Made by Adults to be Played by Adults"

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 16:44

Playstation defends scenes of battery and abuse used to promote a new game on it's platform.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/news/ ... de-adults/
uggy poopy doody.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: "A Game Made by Adults to be Played by Adults"

Postby Penk! » 03 Nov 2017, 16:50

Could use context. There doesn't seem much reason to put that in the trailer other than sensationalism.

Video games get a lot of shit for their violence but it's perfectly OK in movies, apparently.

I haven't played The Last of Us but it's regarded as a classic for its narrative and characterisation and for its strong female and LGBT characters. I get the impression that this trailer for the sequel has been made to sell the game to the kind of people who are more into Call of Duty and Fast and Furious films. Similar in that sense to the misleading movie trailers we discussed recently in Screenadelica.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 17:38

PENK wrote:
Video games get a lot of shit for their violence but it's perfectly OK in movies, apparently.

tell it to Stanley Kubrick and Sam Peckinpah! oh, wait. those guys are dead. nevermind. Anyway those guys got a LOT of flack for rape scenes in their movies.

another thing, games can be played and enjoyed (up to a certain point) without a lot of narrative concern. you can, for example run over somebody repeatedly in Grand Theft Auto without paying much attention to anything else. sure, you won't last very long but it's a choice we adults can make. movies can stick in all sorts of context both good and bad. Both those rape scenes I mentioned were singled out by many as being bad. in Kubrick's the scene was seen as too playful. in Peckinpah's the rape victim ended up liking it.

in a video game made by adults to be played by adults - you can apparently beat a woman up. (no rape so far as I know - maybe things are moving in the right direction)

still, while an adult might choose to whack a woman around in a video game without narrative context it seems a funny choice for promoting the game. usually they try to incorporate the narrative context into the brand of the game one way or the other.

this seems kind of creepy to me.
uggy poopy doody.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 03 Nov 2017, 18:15

Those rape scenes were 40 years ago though. Things are different now.

I agree that it is a pretty nasty trailer. I didn't get the impression that the player was the perpetrator of the violence, more the victim, but there doesn't seem to be much need for any of that in the trailer.

The gaming community - based on a little googling at least - seems to agree and think that it is selling the game short and creating a false impression. Which is positive. It is after all the marketing people and not the developers who are responsible for the trailer.

There is an issue with violence in video games just like in cinema and a lot of better games are making an effort to balance the action-adventure-adrenaline aspects with more moral questions and self-awareness. A trailer like this doesn't really help anyone.

But still, that's the entertainment business. You make your bed etc.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Nov 2017, 18:25

PENK wrote:Those rape scenes were 40 years ago though. Things are different now.

I'm not so sure. I think a high profile movie with a "playful" rape scene and a rape scene where the woman ended up liking it would still be singled out for criticism because of the narrative context.

my only real point is that without narrative context it's just women being batted around which seems a really creepy way to promote something to me. but then, I've been going to the movies for well over 40 years so nobody's going to be surprised that I feel that way.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Nextdoorland”